Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Glueing Question

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Glueing Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2003, 01:18 PM
DCinLinnCo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glueing Question

Here's the rookie question of all time. I'm 43 and new to RC modeling. I am building my first kit and have a qustion. I am glueing everything up with CA glue. Should I go back and put epoxy on all the joints ,etc? The instruction book does not go into any detail, it just says glue. I am building the Goldberg Falcon III Trainer. Got the tail section and one side of the wing done so far. I've incountered no real problems except there is a learning curve I'm dealing with. Some of the terms I am unfamilar with. I am loving it and already am looking forward to building something else. This RC bug is trying to get me. Thanks for any help on this issue or any other tips that would be helpfull for a first timer. dc
Old 12-29-2003, 01:36 PM
TopShelf
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Glueing Question

You do not need to go back and add epoxy. CA will be fine for most joints. You should use epoxy when gluing significant joints like, the tail group, fire wall, landing gear and when joining wings. Basically anything that is a high stress area is a candidate for epoxy rather than CA.
Old 12-29-2003, 01:42 PM
TennCharlie

Go with what TopShelf said. Epoxy is heavy, just use it in high stress areas.
Old 12-29-2003, 01:46 PM
TerrellFlyer

No need to use epoxy on any thing other than hi stress areas,which is cover in previous answer,I do go back over my ca glue joints with medium or thick ca,each to there own.
Old 12-29-2003, 09:04 PM
Yub, yub, cmdr!

I brushed on thinned poxy on all exposed uncovered areas of my aircraft, such as the raw balsa on the Servo Door hole, poxied the thing right after the engine, not the firewall, the thing right next to the LE of the wing. I did this all, though, to fuel-proof it.
Old 12-30-2003, 12:45 AM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thin CA on wood joints is fine, and stronger than the wood itself. One caveat; the joint must be a good fit. Thin CA will NOT fill gaps, so if you have gaps you're better off using medium.

A little test. Take a couple pieces of the balsa sheet that the wing ribs came out of and glue together with Thin CA. Once they've set try to break them apart.
Dennis-