Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Is this idea totally insane?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Is this idea totally insane?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2004, 11:27 AM
SunTracker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this idea totally insane?

I have flown R/C aircraft before. I soloed in 94 and again in either 97 or 98. I estimate I have about 120 flights under my belt. Well, I am once again getting into the hobby. There is a flying field near my house but flight training does not start until April or May. However, about 20 minutes from house is a dry riverbed about 200m wide, with 50-100 feet high walls on each side. My friend and I were out there flying his twin engine (single channel,engine thrust controls which way the plane flies) foam park flyer yesterday. Anyways, my idea was to have my friend hand launch my Sturdy Birdy II (with the engine off) off the top of the clifts and I would glide the airplane down for a landing. I actually have two complete trainers, a PT-40 with 5 channel futaba that I used to fly. I got this sturdy birdy for a x-mas gift back in 98 right as I was getting out of the hobby. It has been flown about 3 times.

Few questions- Does the sturdy birdy II have a good glide ratio? Will roll rate be significantly reduced due to low airspeed? Can an engine be destroyed by plowing into soft mud?
Old 01-01-2004, 11:46 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Is this idea totally insane?

It could be done by an experienced pilot, but I wouldn't advise it for anyone else. The Sturdy birdy does NOT have a very good glide slope.
Old 01-01-2004, 04:02 PM
Stick Jammer

I agree with Minn. I started out with one of the original Duraplanes which is very similar to the Sturdy Birdy. It was pretty much a flying brick. 100' is not much altitude, why not start the engine and just fly it?
Old 01-02-2004, 03:25 AM
3DFanatic
My Feedback: (5)

Just buy a cheap glider. You can get them for less than $50
Old 01-02-2004, 11:38 AM
Montague

While possible, I also wouldn't do it. The stall speed of most planes in that size range is higher than you think it is. It's hard to throw the plane fast enough to get a good glide unless you can dive right out of the throw. You won't have much time to get the elevator trim right for a stable glide before you run out of altitude or airspeed or both. Still, with something like a SPAD or sturdy birdy, you aren't really likely to hurt all that much at such slow speeds, so if you gotta do it, here's a couple of tips:

- Take the prop off. It's just acting as a brake, so ditch it. And if it's not installed, you can't break it.
- If you have a spinner, put it on. Ideally, the spinner should be about the diameter of the fuse. This helps reduce drag at the front of the plane. It will also help protect the engine's crankshaft should you go for a one-point landing.
- Cover the carb. If nothing else, close the throttle all the way, and push some papertowl down in the carb to keep dirt out should something go wrong.
- If you have enough lead around, you could just take the engine off, and balance with out it. After all, why have a rather expensive bit of ballest up there when cheap lead will do instead.
- double check your CG. Planes glide better with a CG as far back as you can safely manage. But too far back will result in bad stall tendancies. Too far forwards, and you will have trouble keeping the nose up.
- consider taking off the landing gear. A belly landing won't hurt it, and the reduction in weight and drag will help.
Old 01-02-2004, 04:16 PM
SunTracker

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Flew...1394340/tm.htm

I flew it, full power. Didnt even crash
Old 01-03-2004, 02:12 AM
boss_blueangels

As for damaging an engine... those things are almost indistructable unless you crash it into rock or concrete. I had a guy test fly a newly finish plane several years ago... took up straight up to about 150 feet.. the elevator pushrod disconnected (worthless stock clevises!) from the control horn and hit the ground (full power) at a 90 degree angle. It obviously decimated the airplane, but after we dug the engine out of the ground (6 inches to be exact) she still ran just fine!! It had grass clear up inside the top of the cylinder and in the spark plug, but after a total deconstruction and reassembly, she worked like a charm!! By the way it was an OS .46LA.
Old 01-03-2004, 09:46 AM
jettstarblue

Go to you too late!
Good that you flew it, 'cause with the engine off those things glide like a shoe pointed down. Exellent plane to fly in the riverbed setting though. Tough (s)crappy flyer that's lot's of fun!

Jetts