Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Holding down the MONOKOTE

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Holding down the MONOKOTE

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2004, 03:30 PM
fasterthanlife
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Holding down the MONOKOTE

On my avistar the orange and red monokote is coming up right behind the engine on the fuselage. How can I hold it down?
Old 01-01-2004, 04:04 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Holding down the MONOKOTE

HI FASTERTHANLIFE!! Once the monokote has been spoiled it's never going to stick back down [as you know]. You've got to blot the soaked in fuel upwith something that is super absorbant. Corn starch made into a paste with GOOF OFF cleaning fluid and smeared on the wood will help suck out the oil. You could also saturate the area with GOOF OFF then smear the cornstarch over the wet wood and allow it to get bone dry. Sand the mess off, and feel if the wood is oily still, you might have to repeat this process. You can now brush on a thin layer of DOPE, POLYURETHANE, or EPOXY to seal the wood. Now you are ready to do a monokote patch. Seal the monokote with clear polyurethane furniture finish. It's a good idea to seal the seams of the covering before using the model. I don't get too fancy when repairing an "old dog". A down and dirty way is to do a good cleaning with MEK , lay on some contact adhesive, rearrange the loose covering [no heat], then go over the spoiled covering with clear 2" wide cellophane tape. You won't win too many model shows with this method though[&o]!
Old 01-01-2004, 06:07 PM
wrongwaywayne

Clean it thoroughly and use some CA. It has worked for me. Be careful not to get the CA on top of your covering as it will look hazy. I have had some luck with re-ironing.
Old 01-01-2004, 06:50 PM
fasterthanlife
My Feedback: (2)

thanks for the advice but it isn't the base coat that came off. just like the decoration like stripes. The cote that sticks to the balsa did not come up.
Old 01-01-2004, 09:45 PM
wrongwaywayne

OK, but it should still work on the stripes. Ive used it to secure covering to covering as well. Test it first to make sure it doesn't melt the stripe stuff.