Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

how to - wing repair?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

how to - wing repair?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2004, 05:26 PM
rbfoley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to - wing repair?

went out for the second time today with my aerobird. the person who was hand-launching the plane threw it at too steep an angle... the plane stalled and hit the ground . the impact dislocated the wing, and the trailing edge came into contact with the spinning prop...

there's about a quarter size piece of foam missing from the wing, with several other pieces about to fall off.

how do i repair this wing?
Old 01-01-2004, 05:52 PM
wrongwaywayne

Default RE: how to - wing repair?

You need to glue or tape it back together. You will have to be careful which glue you use so as to not melt the foam. I have used epoxy. I have also used the tape made for seaming vapour barriers in houses. What ever glue you use make sure it is compatible with foam. Your hobbyshop should be able to guide you.

The other issue you will have to deal with is to make sure to re-balance the model after adding the extra weght on the one side.

I have had several electrics. After only a few flights they all ended up in the garbage.

Best of luck!!
Old 01-01-2004, 07:31 PM
Madd_Maxx

rbfoley:

I had the same thing happen with my fighterbird....dirtnap and the prop took a bite outta my wing. All you need to fix it is some wide clear packing tape (like large scotch tape). I actually used some priority mail tape that was 2" wide and was very light and thin. After the repair I flew my fighterbird with the repaired wing for quite a while untill I got caught in a thermal with it and the wing folded in half on a banked turn trying to loose altitude. Actually it was kind of funny...the thing did the tightest spiral I've ever seen all the way from well over 500' to nose buried in the dirt. Needless to say that was the last time that bird ever made it into the air....motor mount got bent so bad it wouldn't climb after hand launch no matter how much power you added.

Give the tape a try it works !!

Madd_Maxx
Old 01-02-2004, 11:58 AM
Montague

Use clear packing tape. If you read the tape labels, you might be able to determine how thick the tape is, you want the lightest, thinnest stuff you can get your hands on, no "heavy duty" anything here.

Btw, if you're worried about folding the wing, you can run a strip of tape on the underside of the wing. Pull the tape so it's under a little tension when you put it on. Now, for the wing to fold the tape will have to break or slip, and it won't do either.