Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Breaking in Max-40 LA

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Breaking in Max-40 LA

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2004, 07:15 PM
greenbean151

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Breaking in Max-40 LA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am new to the hobby, and I have been building my first plane which is the Great Planes PT 40 trainer. I have the Max-40LA engine with a 10x6 prop. I have never broken in an engine before and I don't want to screw it up so I would appreciate any info how how to do it correctly. The kit came with a nylon (I think) adjustable motor mount and it has screws to hold the engine in, I was wondering if I should use a bolt and nut instead of the screws or do they hold fine. Thanks for any info you might have for a beginner.
Old 01-01-2004, 07:52 PM
Chevelle
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Breaking in Max-40 LA

The motor you have is very reliable and needs very little in the way of break-in. (It's in the owners manual.) I have the very same motor in my plane. I just put it all together and ran about a tank and a half through it with the standard prop. Vary the speed from idle through full throttle and run it just a touch richer than normal. That's it.

As for the motor mount, I don't know exactly what you have but I'd feel better with bolts and nuts. Make sure that the nuts are the captive type and/or you use a drop or two of Lock-Tite on the threads. You don't want the vibrations to loosen your motor. It is a good idea that you do the same to the muffler bolts too.

Good luck.
Old 01-01-2004, 08:34 PM
ifixairplanes
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that was my 1st motor too. its great and will last forever. mine ran and idled great with 3 out of 4 backplate screws missing. it is reliable and fairly strong for a trainer. it is now in retirement.

sean
Old 01-01-2004, 09:18 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Not much to add advise wise that already hasn't been said EXCEPT, Top off a fresh gallon of fuel with about 8 ozs of CASTER OIL, especially with a plain bearing engine. These engines are very trouble free and don't need any break in procedure except put a 10-4 prop on and run just slightly rich. Be aware that as the engine breaks in you will need to open the needle to compensate for the improved compression [HP] that you've got. A 10-6 could help cook the engine sooner if you don't have the high speed mixture just right, and the 10-4 won't work the engine as hard.