Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Engine Care ??

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Engine Care ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2004, 06:12 PM
DragonHeart

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Care ??

Hi,

Just a quick post, i just wanted an view from one of the experts in this forum .

Is thier anything i need to do to care for the engine once ive flow and put the plane into storage for a few weeks before the next flight as my planes seems to have grown from 1 to 12 and 4 kits to build now lol so i cant fly them all but each has its own engine installed. Ive read some ppl use after run oil, some dont......... and the engines are fine... Most of my engines are OS........ If somethings needed would something like WD40 be ok ???

So any views would be most welcome...

Thx
Old 01-02-2004, 06:29 PM
bdtsr
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Engine Care ??

Humidity will play a big part here as the alcohol will attract moisture. Run the engine out of fuel then use a quality after run oil or other substitute. I use Marine Engine Fogging Oil. It's designed for long term protection of the iron and steel used in engines from rusting and helps to prevent moisture intrusion. It will also burn right out when you start the engine again. You'll here of many other remedies as well, this is just what I use.
Old 01-04-2004, 04:33 PM
phread59

Ditto on the previous post. I would only add that You should every few months or so add some afterrun oil in the stored ones.

Mark Shuman
Old 01-04-2004, 04:39 PM
CafeenMan

When you run the fuel out of your engine, make sure you do it at idle. If you run the fuel out at full throttle, then there will still be fuel in the engine. An engine can have enough fuel to run at idle, but not full throttle.
Old 01-04-2004, 10:48 PM
wings

WD 40 won't keep moisture out?
Old 01-04-2004, 10:53 PM
bdtsr
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It will, but it also dissolves rust which will create a nice abrasive to ruin your engine (should there be any rust on the bearings to begin with).
Old 01-04-2004, 11:26 PM
CafeenMan

Not only that, but WD-40 may attack some of your engine parts. It's a realy crappy oil and more of a solvent. I wouldn't put this stuff in my engine unless it were the last oil on earth. In fact, I would use vegetable oil from the kitchen before using wd40.
Old 01-05-2004, 02:13 AM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

You can spend a lot of money on after run specific oil. From my research here's a pretty good formula that you can mix yourself. Mixed 50/50, Marvel Air Tool Oil and Automatic Transmission Fluid. Keep them dry and keep them oiled, they'll last a long time.

Tom
Old 01-05-2004, 08:54 AM
TerrellFlyer

after each flying session,I disconnect the fuel line to the carb,start the engine to use the fuel in the engine ,them spend the engine few times with the glow igniter connected,just for that last little drop.On 2 strockes I put a dozen or more drops in the carb then spend the engine to oil all the moving parts,on 4 strokes the oil goes in the breather nipple at the bottom of the engine.
Old 01-05-2004, 11:55 AM
Montague

I've been usign straight automatic transmission oil. Seems to do all the right things, though it's far from a scientific approach. I've had an annoying time trying to find air tool oil, but ATF is everywhere.