Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

LT-40 ARF WOW!!

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

LT-40 ARF WOW!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2004, 08:52 PM
Flying North

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT-40 ARF WOW!!

Hello all-just getting back into r/c after a few years off. I just got my LT-40 ARF in the mail today and I have to say that I am very impressed! Elevator and rudder have all the hinges preinstalled-just add thin ca, and ailerons and wings have all the hing slots cut, torque rods are done. Wings are now bolt on with steel threaded inserts-no messy rubber bands! Light foam wheels are also now included. Way to go Sig! I already know it is a teriffic flying airplane as I built the kit a few years ago and was foolish enough to sell it. If you need a trainer, don't hesitate. At the price they sell it for-its a steal!
Old 01-02-2004, 09:44 PM
Yub, yub, cmdr!

Default RE: LT-40 ARF WOW!!

Cool.

Just to be sure, check the hinges anyway.

On my Goldberg Tiger II, about 1/2 of the preinstalled hinges were tilted, and all of them were the Bad Hinges. (Goldberg provided weird hinges for the plane. I used the Jet Hinges that were also included.) I think Sig has good hinges though.
Old 01-03-2004, 01:24 AM
FlyerBry
My Feedback: (8)

I recently built the LT-40 ARF as well and was also very impressed. I previously built one from a kit which I lost in a mid-air with another plane. The guy I tangled with felt so bad about the crash he bought me the ARF as a replacement. Not many people would do that!

For those looking for a trainer the bolt on wing is a huge plus over any trainer that uses rubber bands in my book. The rubber bands were the only thing I disliked about the old plane so the new version is now even closer to being the perfect trainer. Some may argue that rubber bands are necessary on a trainer since it is likely to be involved in a crash but I don't see the extra time in setup and breakdown being worth the minimal damage that may be saved by using rubber bands.

The LT-40 ARFs are built in China and the final product they produce is nothing short of superb. I believe the wing bolts were added in a recent "freshening" of the design by Sig. The ARF went together very easily and the instruction manual is perfect. A good instruction manual is important on a plane like the LT-40 since it is often a flyer's first plane.

A great engine on this plane is the Thunder Tiger .46 Pro. It is every bit as good as an OS .46 FX and costs about $50 cheaper!

I can strongly recommend the LT-40 ARF and the kit.
Old 01-03-2004, 01:58 AM
Banned

I don't see rubber bands being an advantage on a trainer either. On my Xtra EZ 2, if I only use 6-8 rubber bands the wing will shift forwards. Mostly because I'm doing crazy bad habit hairpin turns learned from my simulator FMS. If I put 12-14 rubber bands on it, the wing doesn't move on the fuse, but what's the difference? Might as well be bolted on, and it would sure be a lot easier to prep at the field. - Joe
Old 01-03-2004, 05:11 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Welcome back to flying, and welcome to RCU!

You'll find that in the last few years, RC has come a long way baby!
Old 01-03-2004, 11:18 AM
Flying North

Thanks for the heads up on the hinges. I will double check them all before I ca them in. I also plan on making it a tail dragger. I had no problems landing my fourstar-just deadstick problems with my ST-45[:@]. Not to worry, new OS AX is in my possesion and going on the LT-40. Anyone want to buy a ST-45 for cheap? Engine is in very good condition-have instuctions and original box, was made in Italy. Would take LA-46 in trade. Good deal if you are one of those guys who is good at tuning those things.
Old 01-03-2004, 12:30 PM
Fastsky

Just a thought here. If you fly from a grass field then you may want to go to larger tires than what comes with the plane for better ground handling. For an LT40 I would go with the light weight type and go with 3" for the mains and 2 3/4" for the front tire. [8D]
Old 01-03-2004, 05:51 PM
rcu guest-delete

If you liked the way it`s built, wait until you fly it, you`ll love it forever. Ours has an .46FX, flies like a dream. If you fly off grass, follow Fastsky advice on tires, we had to do the same to avoid the prop from dragging on the grass during taxi. Good luck !
Old 01-03-2004, 06:40 PM
ICE_MAN

Nice Glad you like the plane. We have one that flies at our club and i like the way it is designed. its also a floater and the first time I was at the field the owner took it up and i was standing beside it and the owner just handed over the controller. Man was it easy to fly.
Old 01-03-2004, 07:31 PM
rcu guest-delete

Ice-man, I converted ours to rubber band wing mount to save time in the long run when teaching my kids, and it has paid for. I have always recommended SIG products, and my all-time ever favorite fun-fly-do-it-all-never-get-old airplane is the Incredible SIG Kavalier. Well, sounds like I work for SIG, but I don`t, I just feel like I owe them because their airplanes last so long that I sometimes feel like that.
Old 01-03-2004, 07:44 PM
sdemitchell

I have one too. Love it. I used an os46fx for power and it balanced perfectly with no weight. I have about 3 gallons through ot this summer. I increased all the throws and it flies like a new plane-more aerobatically.
Old 01-03-2004, 07:57 PM
rcu guest-delete

Try the Kavalier, you`ll have to build it, but you`ll NEVER get tired of it.
Old 01-13-2004, 11:33 PM
tiggerinmk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Fastsky
Just a thought here. If you fly from a grass field then you may want to go to larger tires than what comes with the plane for better ground handling. For an LT40 I would go with the light weight type and go with 3" for the mains and 2 3/4" for the front tire. [8D]
The LT-40 ARF is actually supplied with that size of wheels! my previous 60 sized trainer only had 2 3/4" wheels. Although they are foam tires, they are pretty solid and are good quality...
Old 01-15-2004, 09:07 AM
Fastsky

tigger, thanks for the info!!
Old 01-15-2004, 01:07 PM
goplaneman
My Feedback: (175)

I have a older LT-40 ARF, Great Plane, Bad Elec Wire. Just rebuilt the fus, Love it. I would like to convert it to lose the rubberbands, they stink in the cold. Anybody have any plans or great Ideas?
Old 01-15-2004, 02:07 PM
ZimboRaider

Anyone want to buy a ST-45 for cheap? Engine is in very good condition-have instuctions and original box, was made in Italy
How much do you want for it?
Old 01-15-2004, 09:04 PM
tiggerinmk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: goplaneman
I would like to convert it to lose the rubberbands, they stink in the cold. Anybody have any plans or great Ideas?
Yup, on the ARF they've used ply root rib on each wing with a stcky out bit at the front (technical term ). This slots into a notch in the ply former on the fuse just in front of the wing. As your wing is still together (it is, isn't it?) then you could just drill a hole into the LE and epoxy in a dowel and drill a corresponding hole in the former.
As for the TE, it looks like they've just stuck on two ply plates where the nylon bolts go through. Inside the fuse there's a ply plate with blind nuts....