Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Wots the Best Fuel? All about nitro?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Wots the Best Fuel? All about nitro?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2004, 05:21 PM
Yub, yub, cmdr!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wots the Best Fuel? All about nitro?

Hello! I have a Magnum XLS46.

What is nitro??? I keep hearing of it. My manual suggests 10% for break in, 15% for running normally.

Castro Oil or synthetic?

Manual says sth about using castor oil.

OK. Wots the cheapest good quality fuel out there?

My manual recommends Powermaster. Is there any difference?

Wot about Fuel Fittings?

About how much is a gallon of Powermaster 15%
Old 01-03-2004, 06:47 PM
DeepSpace

Default RE: Wots the Best Fuel? All about nitro?

it will run fine on 1% also. But i see you americans like lots of nitro. Nitro is like NOS in cars. It will give some extra power and it will help them run a bit smoother on low rpm (i forgot the word i was looking for). And it will help start a bit better.
Old 01-03-2004, 06:54 PM
Woodsy

What is nitro??? I keep hearing of it. My manual suggests 10% for break in, 15% for running normally.

"Nitro" is Nitro Methane, it's a fuel addative that adds a little extra oomf to the fuel, you guys in USA seem to love it, over here in Aus it's generaly used in 10% or less for most sport flying

Castro Oil or synthetic?
This is a whole new argument, general consensus is castor helps protect the engine durring lean runs, fuel generaly containes about 20% castor or 18% synthetic or a combo of both, i run 15% syn, 3% castor, 5% nitro

Manual says sth about using castor oil.

OK. Wots the cheapest good quality fuel out there?
You get what you pay for

About how much is a gallon of Powermaster 15%
check on line stores for prices
Old 01-04-2004, 01:41 AM
Born to Fly

Nitro Methane CH3NO2

is a highly flammable water-clear liquid with a mild odour, containing approximately 53% by weight of oxygen.
Water will mix with nitro to the extent of only 2.5% by volume.

Note the flash point of Nitro Methane is only 43 deg C, making it highly flammable.

Even at the leanest A/F ratio it is almost as good as Methanol (103.2) but at its richest setting it has 5 times the cooling effect of Methanol (516). This helps explain why an engine using nitro can not only develop more power but may also run a little cooler.
Old 01-04-2004, 03:03 AM
3DFanatic
My Feedback: (5)

I like 70%nitro fuel but it's too expensive
Old 01-04-2004, 06:01 AM
DeepSpace

Here in holland you are simple not going to fly with more then 10% (normal flyer, no racer) I pay for 5 Liter Fuel with 5 % nitro 20 Euro's, thats 22 Dollar

So what are the prices in the US?
Old 01-04-2004, 09:53 AM
bentgear

DeepSpace, 5% with Syn/Castor mix is $11.99 at the local hobby shop.

Ed M.
Old 01-04-2004, 12:26 PM
DeepSpace

nice. very cheap.
Old 01-04-2004, 02:48 PM
phread59

Hey YUB-YUB:

To answer your question. Nito refers to nitromethane, the above poster has it right. Nitro basiclyis an oxygenator. What it does is in the combustion chamber it supplies extra oxygen for the methanol (the actual fuel in glow fuel) to burn. The percentage is how much of it there is in the mix. Most sport fliers use between 5 and 15 %. I personally use 10% in all my planes. If you live in an area that is very high above sea level I reccomend more nitro. Nitro will increase engine performance. BTW nitro will work in gasoline as well.

Oil is a very controversial subject. Everyone has their own theorys and ideas. I fly only 20% oil. And I will only fly with a mix of synthetic and castor oil. Synthetics lube well and burn off well. But in full synthetics a lean run can damage motors. Hence the castor oil. It is very tolerant to high tempratures in a lean run. But it does not burn well. And leavs brown goop on your plane after flying. I personally feel the castor is worth it. As do most of the fliers I know.

As far as brands there are many good ones. I have personally used Byrons, Wildcat, Sig and Morgan (powermaster) and found them all very good. If your local hobbie shop stocks one of these fuels I would not hesitate to use any one of them. Just be sure of the Morgan fuels they sell many different blends and some of them do not contain castor oil. If the fuel has between 18 and 20 % OIL ALL should be well. By no means is these brands the only good ones. There are quite a few more but these are the ones I have experience with and can reccomend. OBTW I currently use Byrons exclusivly. I like the consistency and price. And it is available at my local hobby shop in my favorite flavor.

Mark Shuman

PS: I use 2 stroke fuel in both 2 and 4 stroke applications. And all is well with both.
Old 01-04-2004, 03:07 PM
Ross Kean

ORIGINAL: Born to Fly

Nitro Methane CH3NO2

is a highly flammable water-clear liquid with a mild odour, containing approximately 53% by weight of oxygen.
Water will mix with nitro to the extent of only 2.5% by volume.

Note the flash point of Nitro Methane is only 43 deg C, making it highly flammable.

Even at the leanest A/F ratio it is almost as good as Methanol (103.2) but at its richest setting it has 5 times the cooling effect of Methanol (516). This helps explain why an engine using nitro can not only develop more power but may also run a little cooler.
As a slight technical detail, the flashpoint of nitromethane is actually 35 degrees C (measured under closed cup conditions). (probably the higher # is correct under open cup conditions) This may seem low but, for comparison purposes, methanol has a flashpoint of 11 degrees C. Gasoline is even lower. The flashpoint is the minimum temperature that the compound will form a flammable mixture in air.