Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Second plane

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Second plane

Old 01-16-2004, 11:27 AM
LT40

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Second plane

I am have been flying my LT-40. While the weather
is misbehaving, I'd like to start building my second
plane. I was thinking of a Sig four-star 40 kit.
Is this too aggressive for a second plane? I'd
like my third plane to be a PT-19.

Ideas and opinions greatly valued.

-Darryl
Old 01-16-2004, 11:31 AM
csisfun

Default RE: Second plane

I heard that the PT19 is a good second plane, only that it is a taildragger, which could be not as easy to land, but so is the 4 star. Many people use the 4 star as a second plane (not me). That's too expensive here, I can only afford something less expensive. Those Vietnamese planes are great seconds! They are cheaaaaap and are quality.
Old 01-16-2004, 11:59 AM
glowplug
My Feedback: (1)

The 4 star is an excellent choice. Great flying plane with no bad habits. Also, the tail dragger configuration will prepare you for the PT-19. Althought the PT-19 is very easy to fly, it's main gear placed further back than the 4 star's, so it will have more of a tendency to nose over if you fly in rough grass.
Old 01-16-2004, 02:56 PM
cde0214

I think the 4* or the astro hog is a good choice. You need to get used to a taildragger, most of the planes on the market are taildraggers, and a trainer or another plane with tricycle gear will not prepare you for a taildragger. My 2nd plane is was a somethin extra and I realize now I should have gone with more docile plane.
Old 01-16-2004, 04:55 PM
FHHuber
Banned

The 4*40 is a good choice for a second plane. Able to be trimmed as a primary trainer (can be your FIRST plane!) and able to be adjusted for Fun-Fly or Pattern aerobatics.

Its not the best at any of those... but there's few planes capable of being competitive in Fun-fly, move the CG and change the controls a little... and its competitove for Sortsman (maybe intermediate..) Pattern. Then change the CG and its a trainer again. All with a sport plane built EXACTLY by kit instructions and powered with a mild .40.
Old 01-16-2004, 05:53 PM
aimmaintenance

It's an old plane but I loved my SIG Kavalier. That would be my vote, but from everything I've read on these pages the 4star is a good choice also.
Old 01-16-2004, 06:20 PM
rcu guest-delete

aimmaintenance, the SIG Kavalier is my alltimes favorite airplane. Other flyers get amazed with the things that I do with Kavaliers, and then those incredibly smoooooth landings like US Air Force pilots landings. I have built probably about 15 Kavaliers, most for customers, and they all say the same after they fly them.
Old 01-16-2004, 08:18 PM
ICE_MAN

I heard the Spacewalker 2 from seagull models was a good one. Yay or nay?
Old 01-17-2004, 08:10 AM
iowanspctr

You might consider a Goldberg Tiger II, it's a tri-gear plane but you could build in the mounts for tail wheel gear and convert it after you're comfortable with the flying. That should take you right up to your PT-19 by easy steps. I'm going to start laying up my Tiger II this weekend. The 4-Star is a great plane, there's just too many of them around here, I want something a little different!
Old 01-17-2004, 09:07 AM
Fastsky

The 4* is very inexpensive and makes for a great flying plane. For the price you cant beat it and its very easy to build. The Astro Hog flys well but the kit is a pain to build. Big blocks of balsa that you are supposed to carve, sand, and shape into an airplane. The Tiger2 is one of my all time favorites for flying well in a very wide speed range. The plane is larger than the 4* which makes it easy to see but is quite a bit more expensive. For a second plane I would go for the 4*!!!
Old 01-17-2004, 06:47 PM
BingoFlyer

If you are able to build from plans you might want to concider the "Bingo". It's not too hard to build and a great flyer. It is easy enough to fly that I taught a buddy to fly mine (he was having trouble with his trained and thought the Bingo was easier to fly than the trainer.

The Bingo is very much like the Sig 4* but enouhg different that you will most likely be the only one at the field with one! I power mine with an OS .91 Surpass.

Another plane would be the 4-40 or 4-60, these planes share the same wing platform but is a shoulder wing design, the 4-60 was designed for a 4 stroke 60. All the above planes were designed by Doc. Mathews. I have never build one of his designs that I have not liked, all great flyers.
Old 01-18-2004, 08:14 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Try this link
http://www.geistware.com/rcmodeling/second_plane.htm
Old 01-18-2004, 01:19 PM
csisfun

Geistware! To the rescue again!
Old 01-18-2004, 09:01 PM
B. Bishop

I think a good second plane would be the SIG Cavalier or maybe even the Something Extra.
Old 01-19-2004, 08:53 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Thanks csisfun,
I just wish I could get more information on gas engines and heli's on my site.
Old 01-19-2004, 09:42 AM
LearjetMech

What about the Mid Star. I have got one for my second plane. I got the 4 * 60 for my third! Have a p-47 gold for my fourth. Will not build the last two until probably next fall. I built the mid* as a taildragger and people at my club say it is an awesome performing aircraft if built right and light!!
Old 01-20-2004, 08:56 AM
Fastsky

Just for interest the Bingo is a great flyer but may not be the fastest to build for a second plane. The wing has a double taper which means that it can handle the wind great but it also means the wing ribs take longer to make beacuse of the individual sizes of each rib. Other than that the rest of the plane is a prettty simple build. [8D]
Old 01-21-2004, 03:06 PM
wrongwaywayne

Where can you find a kit or plans for the bingo? Any interesting sites?
Old 01-21-2004, 10:23 PM
FHHuber
Banned

The Bingo kit is ut of production. Beautiful airplanes and great performers, but you are stuck with scratch building.

BTW:

RTF = ready to fly (almost never really true... usually takes 2 to 5 hrs of work)
ARF = Almost ready to fly
ARC = structure built... cover it. (close to ARF)
Kit = the box of wood and plans. Get the glue and get to work.
Scratch = you pick out the wood pieces from a list on the plans.

You can separate Scratch into 2 catagories.... Scratch built from (source) plans, or Scratch bult from his own design.
Old 01-21-2004, 11:53 PM
Fastsky

Hi, you can get the plans from RCM magazine. Its plan no. 1062. I have included the link to it below. http://www.rcmmagazine.com/e/env/000...ml?command=env[8D]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo41346.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	93062