Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 10:13 PM
wookie_racer
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help!

OK. i need info on the historty of r/c planes and i dont know where to look. and on top of tha i have aproblem with my fan-tastic AT-6, When i get the ailerons lined up and good then test them they get off center and dont go back so i have to do it manualy darn pull-pull
Old 02-24-2004, 01:59 AM
FHHuber
Banned

Default RE: help!

The history of model aviation is fairly lengthy.

R/C models were flown at least as early as 1934. The first were just single channel rudder control to try (hopefully... it wasn't reliable) to get the converted "free Fight" model to stay in visual range. By 1936, 2 and 3 channel radios were starting to be used.... but the way they operated was still very crude. The technology revolution of the 1960s created by development of the transistor, quickly followed by the IC chip is what finally allowed reasonably light multi-function R/C systems.

The current transmitter designs are still based on technologies developed in the 1970's. The addition of the Computer control mixing was developed in the 1980's... but the main radio frequency boards were not changed... just the section between the stick and the RF board suddenly included a small computer.
On the ailerons... it sounds like the servo is not recentering tothe same point each cycle. This could be the servo having a problem with age.. or it may be just an overly sensitive control setup. If you are using a PPM based system, you might cur it wth going to a PCM system, as the transmitter sends out a more precise servo position signal, and the reciever sends the servo to a more precise position.

Digital servos plus PCM = extreme precision in repeatable control centering.
Old 02-24-2004, 10:28 AM
Commander_Drake
My Feedback: (2)

There was a nice history of RC story in one of the RC magazines last year. I'll look and see if I can find the issue.
Old 02-24-2004, 01:28 PM
Crashem

Try contacting the AMA. I'll bet they will be able to provide you with info www.modelaircraft.org is the website
I thought I remembered reading that the museum has an exhibit focus on the history of modeling (in the US at least) check it out
Old 02-24-2004, 03:36 PM
FHHuber
Banned

Model aircraft predates powered man-carrying flight by as much as... 4000 years![X(]

There were plans for a flyable model found in an Egyptian tomb. someone decided to build a model based on the design found... and it flew just fine. ( I can't find a quick link to that story... but... http://www.catchpenny.org/model.html is interresting, and is on the same lines...)
Old 02-24-2004, 03:52 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

As far as your ailerons, are they sticky and hard to move? Is that why they are not centering? If so, you need to re-hinge them. They will eat the servo if they are that sticky.