Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Os 46

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2002, 05:37 PM
johnstendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Os 46

I have finished putting a Kit together and I am now ready to break in my engine.

Any pointers from the group (fuel/starting/how long) ?
Old 06-12-2002, 06:24 PM
glowplug
My Feedback: (1)

Default Os 46

Is your OS .46 an FX model or an LA model?
Old 06-12-2002, 06:45 PM
rcflier_gi
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Os 46

The main thing is break it in properly. Follow the break-in procedure in the manual and use a low nitro fuel 5% with some castor like Omega or Wildcat Sport.
Old 06-12-2002, 06:48 PM
FlyingZee

Default OS 46

You will likely get a lot of different advice from a lot of different people. I just don't see how they would know more about how to treat the engine than the engineers that designed and built it. I would do what those instructions say.

Zee
Old 06-12-2002, 08:05 PM
ninefingers
My Feedback: (18)

Default OS .46 FX

If it indeed is an FX rest assured you have in your hands one of the finest engines every produced bar none. If its LA, no comment.

(a little secret if its an FX, after its been run awhile, you dont have to run higher nitro, but if you want to give it a treat, load in some 15% and it will run like a scalded fox!)
Old 06-13-2002, 02:19 AM
johnstendor

Default Os 46

An OS 46 FX. I just purchased an OS 91 FX and an OS 71 FS. I will make sure I read the manual.
Old 06-13-2002, 11:28 AM
ninefingers
My Feedback: (18)

Default Good Start

Some has guided you correctly! You've been really paying attention! I was going to get a .70 FS and put it in Hanger-9 .40 size Cessna, would have been a perfect match, was going to buy it the next day.

But however, I took off with the ailerons reversed :stupid: It was a sad day, but life goes on ......
Old 06-14-2002, 04:25 AM
TIGER2PLANE

Default Os 46

OS46FX
I start the motor in a rich mode for one tank of fuel always checking the temp. Second tank is run from rich to almost lean always checking the head temp. When lean it gets hot and you richen it up till it cools down then back up. Third tank is almost lean out and you just control the rpm up till it gets hot and back down till it cools off. Fourth tank your needle is set and you stay at high rpm for about 1/3 tank and then start checking your setting from low rpm to high, by this time you mid range needle will need to be reset. about 1/16 to 1/8 of a turn will set you for you first flite. I have my motors in the airplanes when I do my run in this way I can now check the plane out and see if I forgot to make everything tight and if everything goes the right way with the controls anyway have fun let ls know how you do...
Old 06-16-2002, 08:45 PM
Fastsky

Default FX46

FX46 is one of my favorite engines, next to the 61FX that is in my SeaFury! Of course the 32SX is also a really sweet engine in my sons LT25! It has the power of the FX40, uses less fuel and is a lot quieter! Come to think of it, I like all my OS engines!