Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

What size spinner to use with APC 12x6 prop?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

What size spinner to use with APC 12x6 prop?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2002, 01:31 PM
panzer66
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What size spinner to use with APC 12x6 prop?

Hi,

I almost finish building my SIG Midstar 40 and I put an Irvine .53 2 stroke on it. Given the power of Irvine 53 and light weight of Midstar, I intend to use a bigger prop. such as 12x4, 12x6, 12x7, 12.25x3.75.

However, I tried Duro plasic spinner in size 2" and 2-1/2". Neither of them would fit the APC 12x6. Actually, I measured the width of the open area for prop. on the spinner. They are the same regardless of the size of spinner.

What spinner and size do you recommend? Durbo won't work. Anything else plastic avaialbe or I have to go for a CBT or True Thru Aluminum one? Quite expensive.

Thanks for your help.
Old 06-14-2002, 01:34 PM
TopShelf
My Feedback: (4)

You will find that most spinner will not work right out of the package with APC props. You will need to take your dremel and a sanding drumb and modify the prop opening to accomodate your propeller. If you don't have a dremel, you can use a file to do the same thing but it will take some time.
Old 06-15-2002, 12:42 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

UNless the spinner is made for APC propellers, they will not fit the APC propellers.
Old 06-15-2002, 02:33 PM
rsieminski

Yeah, apc's are a real pain. Frustrating! Ya go to the HS, pick out props, and a nice new spinner. Ya get home, excited to put on the prop and go flying. Arrrrghh, trial and error, cutting and sanding, just to get the d#$@ thing to fit. Thinking to myself, "this should be an ultra simple bold on experience!"

Grab the guy's attention at the LHS, and tell him to locate a spinner for this prop. I've purchased some from Great Planes thet fit.
Old 06-15-2002, 07:58 PM
Crash_N_Burn

As a previous poster said 'spinners can be a pain'.

Couldn't agree more!

Just going through the spinner-with-APC-prop thing with Tru-Turn aluminum spinners.

Ordered a 2-1/2" spinner which says should accommodate up to a 14" prop and is a 'standard' for .60 size engines. "Should be just fine with a 12-6", I thought....

Here it is....maybe .002" prop-hub clearance with an APC.

They graciously agreed to swap evenly for the same spinner, but only the 120 version with honkin' big prop slots cut in it.

I guess it's OK to cut the plastic spinners up, but Tru-Turn sez if you tamper with theirs, it will create a balance problem....return it to them for trimming.

So from now on I'm just getting the -120 size and live with the larger slot........
Old 06-15-2002, 08:04 PM
rwh

What's a spinner?

Seriously, I switched over to Higley nuts a long time ago and never looked back. They never break, my starter fits them perfectly, they can be heavy (brass) or light (aluminum), they can be used with a lock nut (recommended for any engine over a 0.50) one wrench fits them all, and the tightness can be checked without taking a spinner apart.
Old 06-15-2002, 09:33 PM
rcflier_gi
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Higley nut would look a little goofy on a CAP or Extra Sometimes you've got to use spinner
Old 06-15-2002, 09:54 PM
MrMulligan
My Feedback: (314)

Sig makes a plastic spinner especially cut for APC props. I am using one on my Porter. They fit beautifully without cutting. My spinner is two and a half inches. If you want to use a spinner nut, Dubro makes nice ones that are aluminum and anodized in blue, red or plain silver. I use them also and they work well with electric starters.
Old 06-17-2002, 03:01 PM
TRP
My Feedback: (1)

Crash_N_Burn,

Is there a proplem if the spinner only clears by .002mm? I have that exact same set up on my Super Sportster. I thought it was cool because it cleared and didn't need any trimming.

Should I be worried?

Thanks!
Ted
Old 06-17-2002, 04:00 PM
Crash_N_Burn

Default Should I worry with .002" clearance?

Not as long as it stays at .002"..... But in my experience, it won't.

With normal use, the prop will slip slightly and will begin to rub on the spinner.

I have a, US40 with a standard Tru-Turn spinner on the Enya 50 that powers it. I have a little more clearance with that one, maybe .060" and even with tightening the prop every session, there is still a slight groove that has been worn into the prop by the spinner. I am going to the -120 size spinner and a new prop before flying that one again.

I'm far from a prop/spinner expert, but I don't like to see any grooves or cuts in a prop that is turning 12,000RPM (or more).

Hopefully we can get some opinions from others.....