Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Newbie Needs Help??

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Newbie Needs Help??

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2002, 07:56 PM
GEORGE1021

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie Needs Help??

I have decided I want to get into this hobbie. Ive been reading alot of the forums,and have decided to go with a gas plane.

1. What model you guys reccomend looking for a RTF MODEL.

2. My local club mainly uses FUTABA radios I want a good one
Do not want to upgrade in future, I would want buddy feature.

3. What types of planes are allowed to be flown at local parks...
Old 06-15-2002, 09:37 PM
Tom Perry
My Feedback: (30)

Default Advise

#1. Join the AMA and a club and find someone to teach you to fly. Learning by yourself is very difficult (it's been done, but near impossible) and you will spend more time repairing any airplane you have than flying. Frustrating and expensive!

#2. Radio - Get a 6 channel Fuataba or Airtronics or JR or Hi Tech. They are all good, some more expensive than others but make it 6 channels. If you stay with the hobby, sooner or later you will use the other channels. Futaba would be my choice, very popular, Buddy Boxes readily available and it's a good radio, but others are good also.

#3. Buy a good trainer (.40 or .60 size glo, gas can come later). My choice would be a Sig LT 40, RTF. It's a super trainer that practically flies itself if you leave it alone.

#4. Buy an OS .46FX for power and you won't regret it. Other engines are available that will do the job, but OS is great, resale value is tops and performance and reliability can't be beat. It's more power than needed for the LT 40 but that is what throttles are for.

Good luck and welcome to the greatest hobby around!

Tom Perry
Melbourne, Florida
Old 06-16-2002, 07:06 AM
bob_nj
My Feedback: (62)

Default Well put Tom

Good job