Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Beginner Mods to an Avistar (For Slowww landing)

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Beginner Mods to an Avistar (For Slowww landing)

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 05:36 PM
blackbaron
My Feedback: (92)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beginner Mods to an Avistar (For Slowww landing)

In a previous thread I was discussing modifications to my Avistar by adding the speed brakes from the Hobbico Nextstar trainer.

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_1581225/mpage_1/key_avistar%252Cmodifications/anchor/tm.htm#1581225]Avistar with Nextar Modifications[/link]

They worked very well at shaving speed off the Avistar. I can make a landing approach at half of the speed from before. It also greatly reduces the speed of this airplane by 50% mainly because you can’t fly it over half throttle without it ballooning upwards. I knew this would be the case before I added the static flaps. They are great for practicing touch-in-goes.

However there is a small side effect that can be a problem. The plane will stall at really slow speed so you have to keep it above idle or you will lose lift. It really helps for gentle landings.

Someone recommended using an 11x 4 prop. This was not a good combination with these speed flaps. If you plan to do this, use a standard 10 x 6 prop. I lost way too much thrust with the 11 x 4 prop and my engine kept loading and I couldn’t get all the power I needed from the engine and I almost crashed recovering from a stall.
Old 03-22-2004, 05:50 PM
FHHuber
Banned

Default RE: Beginner Mods to an Avistar (For Slowww landing)

How did you modify the leading edge devices to fit the Avistar? Without that information... your results may not be able to be duplcated by others. (the wrong modification could be hazardous to thier aircraft)
Old 03-22-2004, 06:44 PM
blackbaron

I didn't use the leading edge pieces. only the static flaps. I would not use the leading edge pieces even though they would easily fit, they are designed for a flat bottom wing so results may not be the same. I may try them to see what happens. Here is a photo of the speed brakes. I used a few drops of ca to mount them so I can easily snap them off when I want to remove them. (Note! this is photo of the speed brakes attached on a Next Star trainer)
Old 03-22-2004, 06:44 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I don't see the point of modifying a aerobatic trainer to make it fly more like a trainer when most people want to have a plane that is more aerobatic or exciting to fly.
Old 03-22-2004, 06:49 PM
blackbaron

Not everyone wants to start out with a flat bottom trainer that they will outgrow after 10 flights. This way a beginner can have the option of having a slow flying plane and a fast responsive plane and only having to buy one airplane. Its just a cheaper version of the nextstar but with more capability.
Old 03-22-2004, 09:41 PM
smokingcrater

why not just kitbash it and put a different wing on it? haven't tested it but most .40 size trainers that rubber band the wing are the same size. might have to do a little balse work to support the wing better in the saddle...
Old 03-22-2004, 10:11 PM
blackbaron

One of the guy's I fly with has a Super Star which is exactly the same as the Avistar except with a flat bottom wing. My modified Avistar will land even slower than the Super Star. The modifications only cost me 5 dollars and it took me 30 seconds to mount them. How can you get easier than that?

I don't think building a wing saddle for a flat bottom wing would be very practical or cost effective. You might as well have both planes. Plus, if you are not precise or you will incure a change the wing incidence and you will have a high powered lawn dart.
Old 03-23-2004, 01:47 AM
Dukester
My Feedback: (31)

If you have a radio that supports it, swap the single aileron servo out for two and set up for flaperons. Slows down the landing speed well and doesn't affect performance in flight. I actually have mine set for +-30% flaps so I can use them as either flaps or pseudo-spoilers. Also lets you get flap benefits when inverted.

Simple mod and fun to play with.

Duke