Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Durastick modified

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Durastick modified

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 05:55 PM
jaywebguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Durastick modified

Ok, so I haven't flown anything since last fall and decided that I needed a basic plane (not a trainer) to get back in the swing of things. Anyways last week I started to put together a Duraplane Durastick that I got for xmas. I realized from the beginning if I were to build this plane as the instructions suggested, I would end up with a very heavy plane. So I decide a few modifications were in store.

First modifications was to lighten up the tail section, which consisted of taking a 2 1/2" hole saw and punching out a bunch of balsa from the elevator, rudder the horizontal and vertical stab. Next forget using a sanding block to produce a v shape where the control services meet, instead I purchased some triangle stock 1/4 inch for rudder, elevator and ailerons ; and 5/8 for the wing. Next modification, was changing the plane from a tri gear to a tail dragger. I move the landing gear to just in front of where the leading edge would be. Wing modifications consisted of lightening the wing from some of the foam, building larger ailerons and loosing the end caps. Instead of using the plywood end caps and tips I used some 3/32 balsa caps, with no tips (tips are a pain to cover).

I'll have the plane covered and ready to fly by this weekend. I'm using my old OS 46LA, which should be enough power to put around with. this plane is intended to be my beater for a while. I've also got a ultra stick 40 and I build a beautiful Burrito profile from Paul Swaney over the winter. (when I'm more confident in my flying).

Jason