Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

thunder tiger TIGER TRAINER is LOUSY

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

thunder tiger TIGER TRAINER is LOUSY

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 11:00 PM
SuperStick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thunder tiger TIGER TRAINER is LOUSY

For all you new guys do yourself a favor and stay away fron the thunder tiger tiger trainer, I put one togther for one of the guys at our field and to say the least it stinks. THe top of theplane is plastic and the bottom is balsa and its held togther with a sticker LOL LOL. Its nearly impossible to get the tail feathers lined up and unless you have been around models awhile there are so many bad design features you wont know how to correct them. While im not the best builder around i do know a bad model when I see one and this has to be the worst model I have ever been around. Do yourself a favor and stay away from this one.
Old 03-23-2004, 06:52 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Default RE: thunder tiger TIGER TRAINER is LOUSY

While I have not trained anyone on this plane. I have seen many and you are the first I have heard with a problem. Maybe you received one that was not up to your expectations.
Old 03-23-2004, 11:03 AM
Backwing
My Feedback: (3)

That was my first plane. I thought it was fine. Went together well, and didn't have any bad flying tendancies. The top never seperated from the bottom
Old 03-23-2004, 02:49 PM
Yub, yub, cmdr!

Also interesting.

Thunder Tiger's car stuff is really good (according to RCUniverse people).

I plan getting a few Thunder tiger (called Lei Hu in China) engines this summer.

I think you got a fluke. Everybody I know that has a Tiger 2 likes it, but I got one that had TONS of problems. Maybe the same happened in your case.
Old 03-23-2004, 11:47 PM
SuperStick

I may have gotten a bad one, This is the first thunder tiger aircraft I have assembled and i am comparing it to the hobbico avistar, airvista, and the other hobbico trainers. Here is what I found.

There was no opening pre cut for the elevator pushrod to exit.
THe supplied dowel rods for the rudder and elevator were not long enough to make it to the control horns
THe opening for the servos in the servotray was way to small
THe formers would break at the slightest touch.
THere were no cut outs in the formers for the nose wheel control rod to fti so it would clear the tank.
THe covering is sticky back.

It is my opinion that for a first time modeler there are just too many problems compared to the ones I have built. Not that I am hobbico fanatic but they dont have the isuuses that the tiger trainerdoes
Old 03-24-2004, 01:47 AM
Skribnod

My buddy bought a 60 size thunder tiger trainer and flew the wheels off of it. I think he had over 100 flights easilly and no problems at all. Maybe you just got a bad one?
Old 03-24-2004, 05:29 AM
Woody 51

Sorry to disagree with you S.S.
Sure, they can be a bit of a pain to put together when compared to some of the modern day offerings. But they fly great.
Medium CA and accelerator fixes the balsa to plastic join problem.
My daughter put one together and learnt to fly with it about 5 years ago. She still has it, though she hasn't flown it for a while, having graduated to more advanced models.
As for the other problems you experienced. Sounds like a typical ARF to me. I haven't come across one yet, that I haven't had to change or strengthen some part. Even W.M stuff.
Old 03-24-2004, 12:47 PM
fiveoboy01
My Feedback: (3)

I agree with woody. My Tiger Trainer .25 went together well and it flies wonderfully. I have 12 flights on it so far. Yep, it has some typical quarks but I think nearly any ARF has these.

-Bill
Old 03-25-2004, 07:07 PM
glueboy

PICA Gluit also works good for plastic to wood joints.
Old 03-25-2004, 10:49 PM
Groucho fan

I agree with SS, I was tempted to buy one when I first started, but bought a Superstar
instead. My friends tried to repair them said they were not easily repairable, too much
plastic, not enough wood, tail fin, fuselage one piece. Superstar much better made.
Old 03-25-2004, 11:08 PM
ShaneUSMC
My Feedback: (1)

There was no opening pre cut for the elevator pushrod to exit.
THe supplied dowel rods for the rudder and elevator were not long enough to make it to the control horns
THe opening for the servos in the servotray was way to small
THe formers would break at the slightest touch.
THere were no cut outs in the formers for the nose wheel control rod to fti so it would clear the tank.
THe covering is sticky back.
Yep. Sounds like a TT Trainer to me.[8D] I've had mine for 5 years. I think I'll finally retire it. I keep kicking the rudder off (while stepping over it for motor run up).[:@] Everything you describe above was the same as on mine with the exception of the servo openings and the formers breaking. They repair quite easily though; if you have the all balsa ones they used to make, not sure about the newer ones.[&:] On a lighter note, if you want it to perform alot better take some of the dihedral out of it and remove the wing tip covers and put a balsa cap on it. Flies soooo much better.
Old 03-26-2004, 08:40 AM
Lightfoot
My Feedback: (1)

I bought a Thunder Tiger Trainer 40 about 10 years ago. Maybe my years of building had something to with it but I had no problems assembling the model. I went through it looking for problems before I started the assembly and had no problems. I had one crash with it due to onboard battery failure and the repairs were not at all difficult. My only complaint was the sticky covering. I removed it while doing the repairs and recovered it with Sig plastic covering and it is still flying.