Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

@$%#*&@#

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

@$%#*&@#

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2004, 09:32 PM
a65l
My Feedback: (17)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default @$%#*&@#

Finished off my SS 40. Balanced nicely, slightly nose down at center of balance range. Was a little nervous about firing up the engine as the last time it had been shut off by jamming it into the mud. But it fired right up, ran fine, tuned up great and was idling fantastic. Got idle down and throttle cut all set up in the 9c, so I figured I'd put it on the ground and see if it taxied straight. Lo and behold, what's this on the bottom of the fuse? Probablly just oil, why do my fingers feel cold? Of course it was fuel, the blasted stopper leaked. So I hurridly yanked the wing off, pulled out the radio gear, and then the fuel tank, and sure enough the bottom of the compartment was soaked with fuel. Of course I hadn't painted it with anything, so in went the paper towels, and now it's full of kitty litter. That'll teach me to spare the varnish. Hopefully I got to it before the wood got really soaked.
I guess I got spoiled with the Avistar... Hobbico painted the whole tank compartment and even the back of the rear former. WM didn't even bother to paint the cheeks on the SS 40.

Oh well, hurry up and wait...

Andy
Old 03-25-2004, 10:37 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
Default RE: @$%#*&@#

I hope it turns out OK. Years ago I had SS .60 that got fuel soaked. Ten flights later the wing hold down blocks pulled out in straight and level flight. @$%#*&@# was also my response.

David
Old 03-25-2004, 11:13 PM
taurus02914

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry dude been there done that. Hope it works out .
Old 03-26-2004, 02:10 AM
Grampaw

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I prefer some sort of opening above the tanks in all my planes. And if they are not designed in, one will be before the plane is finished and flown. I don't want to have to hurriedly remove a wing, half a radio system, battery pack and packing to get to a leaking tank up front. Funny thing too, since I've been making hatches above the tank locations. I've quit using tanks with rubber stoppers, and use Hayes tanks instead. But coating the tank compartment is still an excellent idea.
Old 03-26-2004, 11:20 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Been there too.

Now I always fuel proof all the way back into the radio compartment.
Old 03-26-2004, 11:33 AM
rwlewis
My Feedback: (4)

A little late, but......

I've never had one leak, but I do this just in case....

Drill a small hole (1/8") in the bottom of the fuselage under the tank at the lowest point where leaking fuel would puddle inside if the tank leaks. It gives you some the chance to see it running out before you fill it completely up and god forbid takeoff with 12 ounces of fuel sloshing around inside. In a normally configured trainer, the correct location is typically just in front of the first former if it sits nose up or just behind the firewall if it sits nose down....

Richard
Old 03-26-2004, 08:28 PM
a65l

Wised up... I checked the fuel tank before I re-installed it. Found out where it was leaking from, and also that I had a cut in the pressure line right at the stopper. Glad I caught that... it would have been impossible to change after tank was installed. Off to field tomorrow, will drop flight report when I'm back...

Andy
Old 03-27-2004, 01:55 PM
adam d

i remember at my cottage some guy was flying his 4*40 on a sand bar . then the plane went in to a dead stick right in to the water the plane was'nt harmed, the problem was that there was a 1in. crack in the tank and his insides were all pink we cleaned it out and tested the engine and radio gear it was fine . we just got a new tank and kept on flying.
Old 03-27-2004, 02:56 PM
Wowbagger

Those tank bungs can go hard and shrink with age too and start leaking all over the place. Doesn't help when you're using a pressure line, as most of us do, and are filling up the fus' as you fly! A few aero's and the damn stuff is everywhere, and I mean everywhere, right back in the tail, everywhere. It's just cruel when it soaks out an old favourite that you've loved flying for years. Too bad. Gotta check in future with a pressure test now and again...
Old 03-27-2004, 04:58 PM
a65l

I did find out why it was leaking. Seems the supply line to the carb was chafing on the nose wheel strut, and was getting cut. Did it againtoday at the field, this time I bent the rigid lines a bit and it seems like its going to be fine. Got one good flight out of it, and man does it fly good. Then had to fix tank prob, another flight and it died on climbout, nice (if I do say so myself) deadstick into the grass, a quick restart the i stuck my finger in the prop and that ended my flying day. 12 stitches later I'm proud to say my favorite nose digger will be fine but no flying for at least a week. And of course it turned out to be a perfect day.... <sigh>

Andy
Old 03-27-2004, 08:31 PM
ifixairplanes
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow, aint that pisser!!

sean