Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Question about tx

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Question about tx

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2004, 05:34 PM
5_spot
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about tx

ok,i flew a plane a couple weeks ago and it was sit up like this,
the left stick controlled the throttle and the aileron,
the right stick controlled the elevator and rudder, but this quattro 4 channel is,
left stick controls throttle and rudder,
right stick controls elevator and aileron ,i got used to the way i flew and dont want to mess up,which pattern does everybody else use ?,i want to be compatable with other fliers so it isnt confusing to them and another question,
do i change the wires going into the reciever ?,they plug in or is there another way?,also i know there are servo reversing switches behind the tx battery pak but nothing in the book explains how to change.
Thanks
Old 03-26-2004, 05:37 PM
impulse

Default RE: Question about tx

I run like pretty much everyone else. Left stick, Throttle, Rudder; Right stick: elevator,aileron.
Old 03-26-2004, 05:44 PM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are actually 4 'modes' that people fly. Nearly everyone uses mode 1 or 2. Throttle and aileron on the left stick is either 3 or 4 (I don't know which).

Your new setup is mode 2 which is very common. If you can re-learn then that may be of help to you if you want lessons or advice later on. If you are happy on your own then there is nothing wrong with either way. The only problem will be is that if you progress to a computer radio then all the pre-programmed mixes will all be wrong (I'm not sure that you can buy mode 3 or 4 computer transmitters).

If you do want to stay as you are then unplug the rudder and aileron servos and swap them over.

Servo reversing switches simply change the direction of rotation of the servo plugged into that channel. For instance, if you move the elevator stick back and the elevator goes down then you will need to reverse the servo. This is simply a case of finding which channel number it is (either from the radio manual or seeing which number socket that servo is plugged into) and move the corresponding servo revesing switch to the other position.

I hope this helps.
Old 03-26-2004, 05:46 PM
SooprDink

I run a Futaba transmitter and the left stick is throttle and rudder and the right stick is elevator and aeleron. I have heard that there are different "Modes" of Tx that are laid out like you explained but I am too new to tell you what the differences are and if you need to change wires to set up different. Someone with more experience is needed for those answers. Happy Flyin!
Old 03-26-2004, 06:56 PM
Hintydude

Most modern tx's allow either mode 1 or mode 2 selection.

Mode 1 is throttle and ailerons on the right stick and elevator and rudder on the left stick.
Mode 2 is elevator and ailerons on the right stick and throttle and rudder on the left stick.
Most people in the USA fly mode 2.
I fly mode 1 as this is how I was taught.

There are channels numbers on the rx which determine which servo lead is connected to which channel. i.e Channel 1 is the ailerons etc

Simplest solution is to alter the leads from the rx to the servo to get the right set up.
Old 03-27-2004, 09:24 AM
phread59

If you are comfortable with this then by all means continue. But I will interject these thoughts. Your computer radio preset mixes are going to be useless. But your programmable ones will work fine. You will not really be able to buddy box. Unless you find another flier like yourself. And generally you will make all of your test flights yourself. No one will be able to help you. Unless you find another person who flies like you.

I wish you all the luck. But my suggestion would be to relearn with the rudder on the left stick. It should not be that hard. and you will be saving yourself hassles later on. It's kinda like being left handed in a right hand world (ask me how I know LOL).

Mark Shuman
Old 03-27-2004, 01:03 PM
5_spot
My Feedback: (1)

I think i will stay the way it came but here's my problem,i run equipment for a living and the worst part is i'm used to backhoes that have "wobble sticks "which would be similiar to the joy sticks on the tx's ,i was comfortable with them the way they were, i'm hoping to learn this way but if i get in a bind i think i'll try to do it different,like the backhoes,been running them since the late 60's and can run them in my sleep,i just hope i can retrain myself or don't get in a panic.
Thanks
Old 03-27-2004, 01:45 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

YOu were learning initially on mode one and now you have a mode two transmitter.
I would recommend sending the transmitter in to Horizon and ask them to convert it to mode 1.

ORIGINAL: 5_spot

ok,i flew a plane a couple weeks ago and it was sit up like this,
the left stick controlled the throttle and the aileron,
the right stick controlled the elevator and rudder, but this quattro 4 channel is,
left stick controls throttle and rudder,
right stick controls elevator and aileron ,i got used to the way i flew and dont want to mess up,which pattern does everybody else use ?,i want to be compatable with other fliers so it isnt confusing to them and another question,
do i change the wires going into the reciever ?,they plug in or is there another way?,also i know there are servo reversing switches behind the tx battery pak but nothing in the book explains how to change.
Thanks
Old 03-27-2004, 02:15 PM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not true. Mode one has the throttle on the right stick.