Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Buying first trainer: looking for opinion

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Buying first trainer: looking for opinion

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2004, 05:52 PM
rockon_rrh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying first trainer: looking for opinion

Hi, my grandpa recently introduced me to this hobby, and I think I want to try it. Due to the fact I'm in college and live in the dorms, I dont have the means to construct a full build or even an ARF. Also my budget is $300.

I have been looking at the following RTF combos:

*Hanger 9 Alpha 40 Trainer
*Tower Hobbies Tower Trainer 40 MKII
*Hobbico Superstar Select 40 MKII

I've heard some bad things about the dependability of the Evolutions used in the Hanger 9, but I know the OS .40LA used in the Hobbico is weak. I have not heard much about the Tower ABC .46 used in the Tower Trainer.

I would love some input about these or other RTF combos, good or bad. And please keep in mind while posting, that I cannot spend more than $300 and do not have the adaquate means to build an ARF. Thanks!
Old 03-26-2004, 06:00 PM
northriver21
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Buying first trainer: looking for opinion

I like the Alpha 40, I dont have any experience with the other two, but, I would say any of the three choices are good ones.

The alpha 40 comes with a 7 ch RX, and the engine is very powerful and user friendly. I learned on the Alpha and now have the 40 and 60 size Alpha.

I think you would be very happy with it and the engine and radio would go into you're next plane whatever it may be.

I have seen Alpha trainer RTF packages on ebay for as low as 250.00.

If you look into this link you will find one with slight box damage for a little less. I think you would be very happy with this setup.

http://horizon.hobbyshopnow.com/products/attic.asp
Old 03-26-2004, 09:06 PM
Groucho fan

I have a Superstar 40, OS 40 la is easy to run, never stops running, also has a reliable idle.
The airplane is easy to fly as long as you have someone to trim it out for you. The engine isnt
big on power, but enough for this airplane. I ve seen them at the LHS for around $ 250.00.
Old 03-26-2004, 09:32 PM
halfandhalf825

the towerhobbies 46 is very powerful.[>:] But, its so hard to break in...The cylinder didn't wanna turn, we kept trying forever to turn it over with electric starter and for the first time, my starter got hot. It eventually went and runs great, but this engine isn't for beginners.

I'd really suggest the Alpha Trainer. I've taught 3 people to fly with this plane, and it is so stable and the engine is very, very good. So easy to start and its preadjsuted. Get the Alpha!!
Old 03-26-2004, 10:05 PM
xchangx
My Feedback: (2)

Another vote for the Alpha .40 trainer. I think it actually comes with a .46 engine.

I've had no trouble at all with the Evolution engine, started with the first spin, great speed, awesome idle, probably one of the best I've seen...
Old 03-26-2004, 11:14 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ryan,
Not to burst your bubble, but I thought I'd give you a heads up on costs.

In addition to the plane, engine and radio gear, you WILL be spending another $150 to $200 to get started. There will be some tools, and most likely some glue and other assorted items needed to get the plane ready to fly. You will also need fuel ($15/gallon), a glow igniter with charger ($25+), and fuel pump (manual $15 or electric $25), extra fuel line ($5). You should also get a 12 volt starter ($40) and battery with charger ($35), and a couple extra props and a spare glow plug.

You should really get an instructor, which will likely mean joining a club ($25 to $150). Most club also require AMA membership for the liability insurance ($58).

It is possible that joining a club first will save you money. Quite often you can find used trainers and other gear from club members at reasonable cost. ($150 for trainer with engine and radio gear.) And maybe used starter or someone's extra glow igniter.

You might also want to talk with Grandpa about his extra stuff.

Welcome to RCU. It's a great place with a lot of good people. You'll get a lot of help with any questions you might have.
Dennis-
Old 03-26-2004, 11:54 PM
rockon_rrh

Thanks so much everyone for the info. Sounds like the Alpha Trainer is the way to go. And as far as the cost of additional equipment, my grandpa will let me use his. I won't be flying without him and he has 6 planes and all necessary starters, tools, batteries, etc.
Old 03-27-2004, 12:22 AM
northriver21

I think you will be very happy with the Alpha.

Did you check out the link I sent you earlier?
Old 03-27-2004, 01:38 AM
Felix21685

hey Ryan,

I live in dorms right now as well at NAU in Az..

I learned to fly on an Avistar..made also by hobbico.
if you will be learning with your grandpa...check these...out same price as superstar but you might find yourself
happy for longer with this one since it doesnt have the flat bottom wing....
it has semi-symmetrical..
check it out
i love mine..
Felix
Old 03-27-2004, 03:49 PM
rockon_rrh

Yes, I checked out that link, the prices are awesome. Is there any guarantee that the planes work? Seems like it could be risky.
Old 03-27-2004, 03:52 PM
KINGX

Get the Hobbico Superstar combined with proper tuition and you will be fine.I have been flying mine for 4 years now....Great airframe, great engine....
Old 03-27-2004, 03:59 PM
canmann

Either the Alpha 40 or 60 are great planes
The RTF version will get you in the air fast.
Old 03-27-2004, 04:06 PM
northriver21

Horizon told me that there was nothing wrong with the product, but the boxes had minor damage.
they said if there was anything wrong with the contents they could not sell them without listing it.
They also told me that a factory technician had examined the contents in order to list in the description, whether it be box damage only or the product was damaged.

I agree it sounds risky, give them a call and ask them all about it. I did and I felt confident enough to order myself one.
I asked about the product having the same MFG warrenty as normal. they told me yes on the phone,but if you look at the bottom of the page it says different.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please Read Before Purchasing From The Attic

Because quantities on all Attic items are extremely limited and the selection changes so often, we only offer them on a first-come, first-serve basis to customers who call our toll-free number. To place an order from The Attic, give us a call at 1-800-338-4639. Keep in mind that the prices shown below are the actual "bargain" prices. We've provided links to some of the items so you can get a better look at what you're buying, but you must call to purchase the item.

HORIZON HOBBY, INC. makes every effort to ensure the accuracy of the information published about The Attic items listed on our website. However, the descriptions of the items listed on the Attic may contain technical inconsistencies or inadvertent errors. HORIZON HOBBY, INC. cannot accept responsibility for the consumer’s interpretation of technical descriptions or inadvertent, typographical errors. All such items listed on The Attic are provided "as is" without warranty, or possibility of return or exchange. If you have any questions regarding this policy or The Attic page please call: 1-800-338-4639.

I dont know what to tell you. It supposedly came from the manager that I would recieve warrenty if I needed it.
Old 03-27-2004, 06:23 PM
halfandhalf825

I kno of three people who had an avistar. I also had one and our wings broke right in the middle. The spar is very, very bad. And like i said, i've taught 3 people to fly with the Alpha and i wouldn't reccomend any other plane than the ALPHA!!
Old 03-27-2004, 07:31 PM
davidinmi

I learned on the Hobbico SuperStar and recommend it highly. It has plenty of power for a trainer with the 40LA. I just got a new Superstar to replace the original and am powering it with a 46. I'm amazed how much lighter the new one is without the epoxy from repairs. The Superstar is a favorite at our club and some of the experienced members fly them with modifications as a very capable sport plane. I think a big deciding factor in the decision between the Alpha and the Superstar would be which radio the instructors at your local club are using. If the local club flies JR I would tend toward the Alpha and if the radio of choice is Futaba I think the Superstar would be preferable.
Old 03-27-2004, 11:27 PM
spokman
My Feedback: (2)

You could do something like get an Alpha or Avistar or Superstar ARF without the other items so you get to choose what you add. Pricing should be close to what you get as a full package I'm thinking.

Plane: $100
Engine: TT 46: $85, OS AX46: $110
Radio: Futaba 4YF, $130 JR Quatro, $150

If you buy your things seperate you will find some other options to depending on what you get and where you buy them. Tap that Uncle for stuff. Maybe he'll let you borrow a trainer you know..
Old 03-30-2004, 04:08 AM
Carlos Murphy
My Feedback: (72)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For only $69.99 you can buy the new World Models Mach 1 trainer.
I alway's have a trainer around because I'm an instructor and this is one of the best trainers and all around planes I've flown and the fastest building ARF's I've ever stuck together.
I recomend a OS 46 FX or a T.T.46 Pro but any 40 2 stroke or 70 2 stroke will work well.