Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

I had my first flying lesson today.

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

I had my first flying lesson today.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2004, 11:23 PM
CrashBurn69
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I had my first flying lesson today.

I went to one of the local flying fields today for my first lesson. A person could have not asked for a much better day. I rained most of the night and morning but by noon it stopped. A nice overcast, 70 degrees out. I packed up and headed to the club, and what a treat. They were having a race there today, so I got to watch that before I got in the air. My instructor Terry, was awesome. He pulled out his Helli and was flying that after he had my up on a buddy cord. That guy can fly a chopper let me tell you. Between all the 3d, and hovering inverted 3 inches over the paved runway and death spirals and the whole nine yards. I think I was very lucky to start learning from this guy. I was having a few TX problems and everyone got me temporarily fixed up, and got some fuel burned in my new OS 46AX, and we were airborne. The biggest trouble was due to the engine not being broke in yet, it was having massive mid range trouble. It would idle great, and top end was great, the midrange was just not there yet. At least there was no dead sticks with it. But for all the other great instructors out there, keep up the good work. The new guys really appreciate it. And once again Terry, thanks.

James
Old 03-27-2004, 11:40 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: I had my first flying lesson today.

James,
Congrats. It's definitely in your blood now.

(Hey Mike, we caught another one. [>:])
Dennis-
Old 03-28-2004, 12:16 AM
CrashBurn69
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had tried it about 15 years ago. I don't know if you would call it flying. Not much success then, but now, getting an instructor is a much better way to go, coupled with Real Flight and you are in business. One thing I did notice, with a lot of RF experience, I was much more prepared to fly it. The first time up, he never had to take his hand off the trainer button, except to take off and land. The second time, I was much for confident in my ability's and started flying just like the sim, and got a little too aggressive with my banking once or twice. But I was never out of control, but he was doing the right thing and not letting me go crazy with it. One funny thing was when we were packing in for the day I was talking to him and the club president, and my trainer mentioned I had some large throws in my ailerons, I mentioned it was a good bit more than what the instructions call for in the set up, and my trainer told me we could turn them down if I wanted, and all I could say was "where is the fun in that", the president just laughed and said I was going to do pretty good then. Well I need to get ready for another day at the field tomorrow.
Old 03-28-2004, 07:47 AM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's great. I haven't had a student yet who's had sim time, and I'm looking forward to it.
Dennis-