Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Help! Engine quitting on me.

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Help! Engine quitting on me.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 10:47 AM
Backwing
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Engine quitting on me.

OS 46 LA. Had a great flight yesterday. Then I adjusted the needle valve and got a few more RPM's out of the engine. Went up again, and after a few manouvers, it dead sticked on me. I did make it back to the field. Checked it over, and just figured that my cluck got suck. So I went up again, while making my downwind turn, it died again. This time I had to go down in the sage brush(plane unhurt).

So I started it up in the pit and lifted the plane up to vertical, didn't notice any change in engine sound, then went down and back up with it. Then it started to sputter, and while holding it at about 45 degrees, it quit.

Does it need to be more lean, or rich? Or is there maybe something else wrong?
Old 03-29-2004, 11:10 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Help! Engine quitting on me.

You probably made it too lean. Richen it up, and hope that you haven't done any permanent damage.

Also, check that the clunk hasn't swung to the front of the tank and got stuck there.
Old 03-29-2004, 11:14 AM
danny03

one thing to remember, if you adjust your high end needle to get the last bit of RPM out of your engine then you are already too lean and damage to your engine is possible.
If I remember correctly, Throttle up to full power, then pinch your fuel line close. if it dies almost immediately then your setting is too lean. if it runs a short time then increases in rpm's it is slightly rich. But do a search because I know that it has been discussed before also whenever I fly I like to be able to see a smoke trail coming from my exhaust, that should be a good visual indicator of your fuel setting.
Old 03-29-2004, 11:20 AM
Homebrewer
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Simple, you are running too lean. With engine running at wide open throttle adjust mixture high end needle valve so engine is running at its maximum rpm. This is called max lean rpm. Once you are max lean rpm, then richen mixture approximately 400 rpm. This slightly rich mixture setting will ensure that your engine will run reliably and not quit. You'll also notice this is used to protect against a lean run as the fuel level decreases during your flight. It is not unusual for an engine to lean out automatically due to the gradual decrease in fuel tank fuel level.
Old 03-29-2004, 12:19 PM
Backwing

Thanks. I hope there wasn't any damage done.
Old 03-29-2004, 01:02 PM
Scar

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's a tip that works for me :

Adjust the needle, and do the 45 degree/vertical test, with about a quarter tank of fuel.

Adjust the RPM to peak, then back off (richen) until the tach drips 200 RPM or more, to make sure you're rich enough to supply plenty of fuel (& oil!) when the prop unloads, in the air, at high speed. Since the fuel level changes during flight, make your adjustments with the tank low on fuel. After adjustments and the 45 degree / vertical test, shut down the engine, fill the tank, and restart.

Your engine should now stay running through the tank, at any airspeed and angle of attack.

Good luck!
Dave Olson
Old 03-29-2004, 10:25 PM
FlyingMonkey

I had the same problem with the same engine. The post was'nt to far back in here. I found my problem to be an out of balance prop which caused fuel foaming at high RPM's. I agree with the other post about making sure the mixture is correct, but just in case it continues to do the same thing be sure to eliminate vibration.

Keith
Old 03-29-2004, 11:03 PM
Frankenthumb
My Feedback: (2)

Another handy and simple test to see if you're running too lean is the "pinch test". Adjust your needle to what you think is an appropriate setting at wide open throttle (WOT). Now pinch the fuel feed line for about 1/2 second and release it. If the engine slows down or quits you are too lean. If it briefly speeds up you are slightly rich which is where you want it. If nothing happens you are a little too rich.