Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Scale Aerobatic Second Plane

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Scale Aerobatic Second Plane

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 11:00 AM
photoniq

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scale Aerobatic Second Plane

Hi Folks -

I am on the lookout for a second plane. I know many of you will recommend the four star but I really want a scale aerobatic plane. Would a Sukhoi, Cap or an Extra do the trick? I am willing to fly my trainer for longer if it means I can jump straight in to a scale aeroabatic plane for my second plane. Hope someone can recommend a plane - I have been looking at the Glens Models website, what about the Extra 330s or the Cap232 there?

Cheers,
P.
Old 03-31-2004, 12:55 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Scale Aerobatic Second Plane

I think a jump to a scale aerobatic would probably cut your RC flying interest short. You will crash it very early on. I have seen it many times. I had a guy here go to an extra, crash it, wouldn't listen to anyone, built another, crashed it and quit. You have to learn things in a logical matter and you wouldn't jump from a 150 to a sukoi in a full scale. Why try in a model.

The problem is the aerobats snap roll so much faster and get unstable in a stall situation. You add power and the problem gets worse if you don't know what to do. Experience is the only thing that will get you ready and a plane that will teach you more without biting you would be highly reccomended.

Maybe go to something like a Sig Somethin extra first, and set it up to do normal routine stuff, then move the CG back as you learn it, add more to the throws and fly it hard. Then move it back a bit more and learn it again. You will have fun and learn a lot. Then maybe go to the aerobat.

You have about a 99% chance of wrecking a scale aerobat very quickly if you jump to it right from a trainer.

Good luck in what ever you decide to do though.
Old 03-31-2004, 01:29 PM
Yub, yub, cmdr!

I saw a Seagull Swiss PC-9 scale plane advertised at Horizon to be a scale aerobatic second plane.

Anybody know anything about this?
Old 03-31-2004, 03:20 PM
KW_Counter

Look at the World Models T-34.
I don't have mine in the air yet, it will be my third plane, but a lot of good things said about it around here.
May not be as aerobatic as an Edge, more like a 4* with a semi-scale look.
KW_Counter
Old 03-31-2004, 05:08 PM
Montague

I totally agree with Flyboy, it's not a good idea. The SA planes can really get you in to trouble.

That said, if you really want to do it, get the absolute largest one you can afford, and spend the money to make it LIGHT. Don't even think about a .40 size one. The bigger ones are easier to fly, and the lighter wingloading of a light plane will make the stall easier to handle.

Btw, there are some SA-looking planes that might be good choices, but I haven't tried them to see. Planes like the "something extra". There is a plane called the "Magic Extra" that is being flown as a second plane by a guy around here with success. I got to fly it once, and it seems to fit the bill. Light wingloading, soft stall, but still fairly acrobatic.
Old 03-31-2004, 05:10 PM
glowplug
My Feedback: (1)

I totally agree with KW....take a look at the World Models T-34......it's a lot more aerobatic than it looks, and still much easier to fly than a Cap, Extra, Sukhoi, etc.
Old 03-31-2004, 05:38 PM
CarolinaCrasher

If you are absolutely going to get an Extra, Edge, Cap, etc. then get a profile version of one. The profiles will still do all the 3D and extreme aerobatics, but handle more easily for someone who has only flown a trainer, as long as the control throws are left fairly low at first. I would go for an OMP of Morris. But it is probably the best idea for you to get a Four Star or Stick type plane first.
Old 03-31-2004, 09:32 PM
phread59

Photonic, the 4*'s and Tiger II's are reccomended for very good reasons. They are perfect second planes. They were designed just for this purpose. I strongly advise one over a Cap or an Extra. If scale looks is a must then the profiles mentioned are a very good place to look. Otherwise the Sometin' Extra with reduced throws should be a good choice.

Once again I would strongly advise against the full blown scale airobat until you have the nessecary skills. Good luck with whatever plane you go with.

Mark Shuman
Old 03-31-2004, 09:54 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I know it is larger than you are interested in, but I would say to go with a WH Extra and a Brison 3.2 engine.
Old 03-31-2004, 11:00 PM
SENZA

[X(] I KINDA LIKE THAT 4,8 TWIN MYSELF
Old 04-01-2004, 10:39 AM
xplayer930

get th epiper j-3 cub. its a scale plane but no aerobatic. Its easy to fly, considering i learned how to fly on the carl goldbeg electra. get the great Planes .40 cub, it has great reaction time.
Old 04-01-2004, 10:40 AM
FLYBOY

ORIGINAL: Geistware

I know it is larger than you are interested in, but I would say to go with a WH Extra and a Brison 3.2 engine.

Why not. If your going to blow something up, blow it up big so everyone can enjoy it!
Old 04-01-2004, 12:23 PM
Montague

Hey, if you can't leave your mark on the word, at least leave it on the landscape.
Old 04-01-2004, 12:32 PM
photoniq

to all who replied, apart from the jokers towards the end there, thanks! I spoke to a guy in a hobby shop who told me that he could not see why a CAP would be a problem - I guess that is why I went down the wrong road.

In one of the other second plane threads someone has recommended a U-Can-Do 3d as a second plane. I was totally surprised by this and would not have believed it except for the fact that one of the guys at the field who has one said the same thing last week. Is this a good second plane (obviously if you limit the throws at first)?

P
Old 04-01-2004, 12:37 PM
Montague

The UCD has all the right flight charastics with the rates turned down.

However, it's built very light, so it doesn't respond well to hanger rashes or botched landings. I'm sure you could fly it, but what might be a minor ding on a heavier built plane will result in more damage on the UCD.

This isn't really a knock on the UCD, building light is a good thing. Just that "second planes" tend to take a fair bit of abuse. However, the UCD is not alone in this regard, so it's not a bad over all choice at all.
Old 04-01-2004, 01:16 PM
FLYBOY

Should be fine as said, but watch how much you throw it around in the shop. Limit your throws and make sure it isn't tail heavy at first. Later you can add throws and move the cg back and have a lot of fun and learn a ton. That would be a better choice than a scale bird.

Definately not a cap. That would be a bad thing. They snap easy if you do the wrong thing. They are great planes and a ton of fun to fly when you are up to speed. Gives you something to look forward to in the future. Don't try to do it all at once. You will be very frusterated.
Old 04-01-2004, 02:06 PM
gnyberg

I went with a VectorFlight 58" Extra for my second plane after flying an Avistar last year.

I followed the advice from other people who'd flown this plane and its 66" sister and was careful about lateral balance, elevator halves matching throws (and limiting their throws) and have had no trouble with snaps or anything else.

Awesome, fun, beautiful plane. And it can take me a lot farther, performance/aerobatics-wise, than some classic 2nd plane.

-Greg
P.S. VectorFlight has all of their planes on sale right now...
Old 04-01-2004, 02:10 PM
photoniq

ORIGINAL: gnyberg

I went with a VectorFlight 58" Extra for my second plane after flying an Avistar last year.

I followed the advice from other people who'd flown this plane and its 66" sister and was careful about lateral balance, elevator halves matching throws (and limiting their throws) and have had no trouble with snaps or anything else.

Awesome, fun, beautiful plane. And it can take me a lot farther, performance/aerobatics-wise, than some classic 2nd plane.

-Greg
P.S. VectorFlight has all of their planes on sale right now...
If you look at the posts about the guys have advised (universally) against going for a cap, sukhoi or extra... I think I will go for the UCD46 and re-use the engine from my trainer. I'll be careful how I handle it and with landings and stuff, against based on the advise above. At least this plane will take me further than the 4*'s etc. Sure there is a little risk in going for this lighter plane but I am happy to take that risk..

Cheers again for all the advise.
P.
Old 04-01-2004, 02:33 PM
rglawhead
My Feedback: (34)

I went with a U Can Do 46 ARF as my third plane. After assembling the aircraft with an O.S. 46 fx powerplant, I found the plane to be extremely tail heavy. I replaced the engine with an O.S. 70 surpass ultimate (requires a larger engine mount} and the plane was still tail heavy. Finally got everything organized. On the maiden flight, the starboard stabilizer cracked off and the plane went into a death spin. Moral: keep things simple.