Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Dumb question...

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Dumb question...

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 01:25 PM
Gizzmo0411

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dumb question...

I've been looking at buying a Superfly-E kit combo from www.superflyrc.com but I don't know what type of charger to get! AC or DC, it's asking to specify...but I'm just confused...I know there's an important difference but for the life of me I can't remember what. Any help?
Old 03-31-2004, 01:30 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Dumb question...

AC works from the electrical in your house, DC works from the battery or cig lighter in your car.
Old 03-31-2004, 01:57 PM
Gizzmo0411

To further my inquiry...In the instructions it says that I need shoo goo, CA, CA kicker, and 5 min epoxy...I'm going to assume these are all adhesives...do I need all of them to build this plane???
Old 03-31-2004, 02:13 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

CA is instant glue, the kicker makes it go off faster, don't use CA around the foam. 5 min epoxy is just that, and will be used proably the most, and shoe goo is a glue they use probably for gluing the foam pieces together. The CA will be used on balsa pieces and epoxy for gluing in the servo mounts and stuff. You can probably get by without the CA, but if you use just epoxy it will be heavier and you don't want to make that plane too heavy. It won't fly well.
Old 03-31-2004, 02:18 PM
Commander_Drake
My Feedback: (2)

Yes. You will need all three types of adhesives for different parts of the asembly. You don't really need the CA Kicker you can just hold or clamp things in place for a few minutes instead. The Shoe Goo is probably for attaching servos or somthing else inside a foam cavity. I think I have used RC56 for this.

The epoxy is for a strong joint when joining major parts together like the wings to the fuse or the wing halves to each other. If you have 30 minute epoxy you can use that, you just have to clamp the parts together longer.
Old 03-31-2004, 03:04 PM
a65l
My Feedback: (17)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

There is specific CA for foam, very effective if I do say so myself.

Andy
Old 03-31-2004, 03:57 PM
Spadinator

Be careful...I used shoo-goo on foam and it melted it!!!!! The foam was the blue insulation type.
Old 03-31-2004, 04:51 PM
DRDHalko
My Feedback: (12)

Gizzmo0411
Answers from SuperFly RC:

Both AC and DC chargers do the same thing, one simply plugs into the wall, the other into the cigarette adapter in your car.

You only really need Shoo Goo to put the plane toghether. Yes, Shoo Goo. It WILL NOT MELT the EPP foam that the plane is made of!

DON'T use epoxy to put major parts toghether, it is too brittle and will crack over time.

You do not have to use Foam Safe CA on the EPP foam, regular CA will work just fine and WON'T MELT IT.

I need to update the materials required list but you only really need Shoo Goo....

You can always call me at the number listed on my site.

David
www.SuperFlyRC.com

All EPP Delta Wings
Old 04-01-2004, 05:43 PM
Jim Finn
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I suggest you get the DC type charger. You can then charge battery packs at the field from your car battery and at home.........when at home where is your car?
Old 04-10-2004, 02:26 AM
Gizzmo0411

Mmm...problem with that...I don't have a car! lol

I went with the AC...I'll just get a bunch of battery packs later so I can do all the charging at home.
Old 04-12-2004, 11:02 AM
Montague

It's cheaper to just pick up a 12v field battery, like a gel cell sold for hobby use, or a lawn tractor or motorcycle battery. That will give you a reasonable weight power source for a DC charger in the field.