Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Building first plane

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Building first plane

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2004, 04:56 AM
jmkington

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building first plane

In reading a ton of reviews i've come to realize you guys are the most knowledgeable around and would love some suggestions and input. So its been a few years (more like 6-7) since I have been flying, but wanted to get back into it and start by building one. So far i've ordered the 1/5 sig Piper cub because of its large wing span. Figure this will work as a trainer for a little yet allow from some advanced flight. Also got the great planes G-2 training software to refresh my skills. However, I was wondering about a TX for the J-3 cub. Been reading reviews for some time on the JR 6102 and 662 as well as the Futaba 7C. Any suggestions for a Tx would be appreciated. Additionally, any recommendations for a motor. I have a ton of older (6-7 year old) OS, satabria, and super tiger engines from 40s to 1.0...should I use one of these or go with a newer engine. Have engines changed much in the last 5 years. I would love to find engine to put in the cub which is horizontally opposed...........think it would be a great look in the plance. Last question is digital servos over analog. What are the advantages or disadvantages of each? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 04-01-2004, 08:37 AM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Building first plane

Any of the radios mentioned would be fine, but also look at the Futaba 6EXA. Good introductory computer radio, priced well. (So one at a hobby shop yesterday for $180 complete.)

Engines have not changed much in the past 5 years, so if you're looking to save a few bucks, use one of the ones you have. If you have money burning a hole in your pocket, then YES, check the specs on some of the opposed twins, it would look great and sound terrific! Saito and OS both make opposed twins that should work.

Forget the digital servos. They're expensive, suck up the mAH's on a battery pack, and aren't worth using unless you're going to be flying a 3D plane that requires precise throws ASAP.

Most of all, welcome back to RC, AND to RCU!
Dennis-
Old 04-01-2004, 01:09 PM
hookedonrc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Building first plane

If you are looking at the JR 662 and 6102, I would recommend the 6102. It is the newest of the 2 and it has some new features that look great. I have a 662 and wish it was the 6102. I don't think the cost is much different between the two. One thing to look at, and it may not even pertain to what you are looking for, is the trainer switch. If you plan to do any training or be trained, the trainer button on the 662 can be very hard to operate as the instructor. We can attribute at least one crash of my trainer to this button. It doesn't take much movement of your thumb to turn it on and off. I like the lever set up on my 8103 much better. Like I said, it might not pertain to you, but just wanted you to know.