Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

HOBBICO AVISTAR HELP!

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

HOBBICO AVISTAR HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2004, 09:49 PM
DFalpha
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HOBBICO AVISTAR HELP!

for my first GLow plane Im going to get a RTF hobbico avistar...... can somone here tell me what other gear I need..? I know i need glow plug and field pump... can I have some advice on exactly waht to get....... I know nothing about Glow im an eletrci pilot
Old 04-01-2004, 10:19 PM
FHHuber
Banned

Default RE: HOBBICO AVISTAR HELP!

Assuming you got the "Avistar Select" package deal that includes engine and radio... You need:

Fuel
Fuel pump
Glow igniter
Most people are going to tell you you HAVE to get an electric starter with 12 v battery or a "chicken stick."

Recommended...

2 spare propellers, 11X5 size for a .46 engine, 11X4 for a .40 (for the Avistar)
1 or 2 spare glow plugs (O.S. #8. Cheap glow plugs just don't work as well or last as long.)

Fuel runs $12 to $30 a gallon. I recommend 10% nitro content which is in the lower price range and will work very well. (I fly my .30 power heli with 10%... I fly EVERY glow power thing I have that is > .10 powered with 10%.) Higher nitro can give more power... but its cheaper to get more power by getting a better engine.

The "Six Shooter" fuel pump will last you many years. Its about $25. The $10 Hobbico and similar pumps tend to break within a year. The old style fuel bulbs are about $8... may as well get a pump.

The Glow igniter can cost from $12 to $35... The $12 one is fine. I haven't been able to see much difference in results except the ones with a built in meter tell you when the glow plug is burned out.

A Chicken stick is a 8 to 9 inch dowel with a piece of rubber heater hoze on it. Costs near nothing to make one... costs up to $10 to buy one.... make it, don't buy it.

The electric starter and battery will run about $60 to $90 (or more) depending on which starter and which battery. Don't get less than a 7 amp rated gell-cell if not having the battery mounted to the starter. DON'T get the Hobbico kit to put the battery on the starter... the little 2.5 amp gell cell they supply can barely turn over a .25 size engine. B&P products sells a NICE starter with batter pack mounted to it with charger set... its a bit pricy. (was $125 when I checked) but it will last a LONG time. (I have NEVER worn out even the cheapest starter... I've left one or 2 at the field and lost 'em...[&:])

You are learning something new about flying... you will break props. There won't be a big learning curve to transition form electric to the gow power trainer if you have been flying 4 channel models. The glow model is probably going to stall at about what you are used to as top speed for a Park Flyer.

If you mess up tuning the engine, you can fry a glow plug in one flight. If you tune it correctly.. the plug should last a long time. (I had one outlive 3 engines... They don't make that type any more. ) A crash while the engine is running can break the glow plug element. It doesn't take a large shock to do it.... just breaking the nosewheel out of the firewall is enough sometimes.
Old 04-02-2004, 06:18 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I agree with FHHuber except for the starter. Get an electric one. You will use it on all your glow powered planes and it makes life easier.
Old 04-02-2004, 09:51 AM
boss351
My Feedback: (6)

HI, the Avistar was my first plane and I loved it. I would recommend replacing the kit clevises with decent nylon or metal clevises as the one supplied are very weak. Also grind a flat spot on the front land gear rod where the collar lock nut tightens down as even a slightly bumpy landing has a habit of turning the nose wheel around or-off straight. Also, toss the plastic spinner that is in the kit and put on a decent prop-nut, vibration proof the tank and radio-gear with foam and away you go!

Have fun.

One more thing, make sure you get the correct rubber insert for the electric starter for your spinner/prop-nut.
Old 04-02-2004, 10:08 AM
DFalpha

ah thanks.... I know what I needto get it up I just need the exact models... if somone could get together a list of actual products I could buy from tower hobbies thatwould be great!
Old 04-02-2004, 10:22 AM
boss351

What engine are you running on it? Need to know that to get the right prop-nut. If I remember correctly the push roads are threaded 2-56, I personally like the Sullivan Gold clevis's, I run a 2-56 nut on the thread first and butt it up against the clevis when adjusted to the right position.
Another thing I noted was the prop suggestions, I used a 10x6 Master Airscrew and was really pleased with the performance combined with the OS MAX LA40.
If you are in to modifying, then I would also recommend changing out the push-rod for the throttle to a cable type - like the Dubro flex-cable and use the Dubro e/z connectors to secure, but easier to adjust and more free movement..
Old 04-02-2004, 12:44 PM
Crashem

I would recommend replacing the kit clevises with decent nylon or metal clevises as the one supplied are very weak.
Just make sure that you replace them with the correct type (i.e. metric or standard) not doing so can cause the clevis to pull of the pushrod you can probably guess what the results of that happening are[X(]
Old 04-02-2004, 12:50 PM
boss351

Doubley check those threads! Sorry I can't remember which they were, luckily my instructor had boxes full of clevises and he just he new which to go for. They are cheap and you will use them in the future, so being unsure I'd just go and order an assortment, buy some nuts also, easy to confirm the thread correctly, and if you go with metal clevises there is no harm in butting up the but against the clevis, very solid.
Old 04-02-2004, 02:37 PM
FHHuber
Banned

2-56 clevices will act like they are threading onto 2 mm... and might even pass a light pull test to se if they are secure. They will shift under flight load very time.

2 mm nylon or plastic clevices wil thread onto 2-56 rod... but you risk splitting the clevice. (they will be VERY tight.)

If I remember correctly... the Avistar comes with 2 mm push rods. (not absolutely sure... I don't own one, I've just helped with giving training flights on 2 of them) If I am correct... the Sullivan 2-56 gold tone clevices would be a HUGE mistake.

Be careful...
Old 04-02-2004, 02:49 PM
boss351

I agree. Call Hobbico product support first and find out for sure. They could well be 2mm and you definately don't want the wrong ones on there. The originals that come with the kit are junk though. I had started off with them but the elevator clevis soon let me down, luck I caught it checking the plane out before flying.

[email protected]

1-217-398-8970 Product support.

I just checked the manual online and it doesn't specify the threads, definately call them..
Old 04-02-2004, 03:15 PM
Crashem

The originals that come with the kit are junk though. I had started off with them but the elevator clevis soon let me down, luck I caught it checking the plane out before flying.
did you slip a small piece of fuel tubing over the clevis? If not try that before passing judgement on the quality of the hardware I've seen some of the brands recommended here come loose also.
Old 04-02-2004, 05:11 PM
boss351

Hi Crashem,

yes, I had some tubing on them that also came with the ARF. The clevises that came with it were not as strong as nylon by a long shot but some very cheap thin plastic. The elevator one had almost broken on one of the sides at the base of the "U", the tubing wouldn't have helped for much longer. I would STRONGLY recommend switching these out for some other type, nylon or steel, what went on mine after were nylon. I will stick to my opinion also, what came with my particular ARF were junk.

Adam
Old 04-02-2004, 05:28 PM
taurus02914

I also beleive the stock clevis are 2mm, dubro does make some nylon clevis that are 2mm part
#669 2 in a pack black in color. I would also change that throttle rod to a sulivan cable part #508
and I would use the Great Planes pushrod connectors part #gpmq3870 like mentioned makes the throttle adj. easy.
Old 04-03-2004, 07:28 AM
a65l
My Feedback: (17)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Also, if you haven't searched for stuff to do to your Avistar, get some 30 minute epoxy and run a bead along the firewall seams. If you haven't already, glue the wing halves together. You might also invest in a bottle of zap-a-gap or similar, will keep you flying through minor breaks.

I hate to contradict a guy who's been around as long as Fred, but I beleive the .40 LA takes A3 plugs.

Also go to Office max or similar and buy a bag or two of #64 rubber bands, I don't like the looks of teh things they give you with the plane. Just cut them off and throw them away when you're done flying for the day, 1/4 lb bag is almost a buck, and it's cheap insurance.

Enjoy that airplane... it'll carry you a long way.

Andy
Old 04-03-2004, 08:37 AM
DFalpha

thanks Andy..... Thunder Tiger Pro .46 BB ABC w/Muffler is that a good engine to upgrade to? and whats the differeence between the O.s 46 FX and the O.s 46 la?
Old 04-03-2004, 09:26 AM
Shu

Pete,

The field box recommendation looks great, I have the same engine in mine, and an electric starter is a must!

I got the AFR version about a year ago and have about 30 flights on it now. Other than builder's error on the nylon hinges (nose in first flight!) I have had no problems with the hardware on my plane. Mine was pre-grinded on the nose gear, so no problems there. The only weak point on the plane that I have found is the wing joint and believe me I have crashed mine several times, none due to hardware failure. This has been a very easy plane to rebuild too. I drilled holes for wooden dowels in the wing joint and sheathed the wing joint top and bottom. No problems now! I have modified the wings to about -1 degrees on the dihedral, so aerobatics are easier.

Great plane even in high winds, which we have a lot of here in Texas!

Have fun!

Shu
Old 04-03-2004, 09:51 AM
DFalpha

Hey what field box? can somone show me the exact make of starter and fuel and othere things at cheapest price?
Old 04-03-2004, 11:42 AM
boss351

The OS FX vs LA engines is bearings vs bushings. My Avistar flew great with the 40LA, just that engine was less useful to me afterwards for my next plane, a .40 size Big Stik, it lacked power. OS has just brought out the .46 AX, to take place of the FX, I think if you had one of those you will have plenty of use for it in the future.

I am now on my second Stik, this with a 45 Rossi, I am going to switch back in the 40LA back to the Avistar so I can fly that plane again, it was alot of fun also.

I got luck when I bought the Avistar, it was used but new in the box, and it came with some gear like the starter and battery. I have the Sullivan Hi-Torq starter and a 7 amp 12V battery, great, especially for an LA which isn't as friendly to start as an FX.
Old 05-01-2004, 06:54 AM
DFalpha

Getting my Avistar today! AT 10:30 woke up at 6......... Im so friggen excited
Old 05-01-2004, 04:30 PM
Yub, yub, cmdr!

Winchester.... where is that..... isn't that near Westboro?
Old 05-01-2004, 08:04 PM
DFalpha

nahh its near Cambridge and Boston......... heres a pic..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl31035.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	128215