Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Big Stik CG question

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Big Stik CG question

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2004, 09:42 AM
boss351
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big Stik CG question

I have just put my Great Planes Big Stik (.40 size) on the CG stand, it is modified to be a tail-dragger and has a heavy Rossi R45 motor to pull is along. I have the battery and radio as far back as possible (just in front of the servo mount) and am still finding myself about 1"+ too forward of the recommended CG (3-3/4" from leading edge). Way nose heavy. The engine is mounted with the recommended distance of firewall to prop thrust washer of 4-3/4". I could move the engine back about 1/2" which should improve CG matters a fair bit before adding ballast. Is there something magical about the 4-3/4" spacing to the thrust-washer or would this engine move be ok?
Obviously if I have to add lead weight ballast is it common to cut a hatch in the tail somewhere to install, any better ideas on getting lead back there? As it stands now (without the engine move) I need 3 oz of lead on the elevator to make it balence! So, some ballast will be needed even with the engine moved back somewhat.

I have posted this also in the ARF forum, but on second thoughts I think it belongs here..
Old 04-02-2004, 10:15 AM
Ugo Ferrari
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Big Stik CG question

I simply moved my rudder servo ( Pull-Pull) to the rear and in front of the rudder. C.G was right on !!
Check picture !
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36940.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	206.1 KB
ID:	117855  
Old 04-02-2004, 10:26 AM
boss351

Hey, I like that idea! I will dry test it at home and see if it adds enough weight, the 3oz of lead back there was not a good omen. I may need to move the engine back aslo a tad, it is the main culprit of the nose heavy situation..
Old 04-02-2004, 02:13 PM
Montague

If there is no cowl, then no, there is nothing magic to the distance from the firewall to the prop.

Well, ok, there is one thing. If the firewall has right and down thrust in it, and it's an arf with the motor mount pre-installed, the mount might be off-center on the firewall so that the engine's crank winds up in the right place at that distance from the firewall. However, for most planes, that's going to be ignoreable, so if it was me, I'd just move the engine back first.

The rudder servo is also a solid idea, of course.
Old 04-02-2004, 03:45 PM
Ugo Ferrari

Montague is absolutely correct ! I forgot to mention that I also moved my engine back to 4 inches from the thrust washer to the firewall, to achieve the correct CG. I'm flying a Thunder Tiger .46 Pro. CRS on my part....However, I'm allowed, I'm over 70 !! LOL !

Ugo
Old 04-02-2004, 05:29 PM
jucava

Man that servo on the tail looks really nasty, what I did was to put the battery behind the servo tray, this is a fun plane so you may want to go with a 1100mah instead of the 600mah, that also help.
Old 04-02-2004, 07:08 PM
Ugo Ferrari

Let's face it guys, The Stick is a "Nasty" looking plane ! The rear mounted servo is an easy fix to the problem and is purely functional.( And Accessable)....As is the Stick design.

Ugo
Old 04-02-2004, 08:36 PM
boss351

Well, the 1/2" move back on the engine got me to almost 3" back from the leading edge of the wing. I am going to buy a 1100 mah battery as suggested above and see if that puts me on the money, if not, then I think it will take very little lead will work and I can avoid the servo mod, last resort...
Old 04-03-2004, 08:52 PM
jucava

Is call Big Stik no Ugly Stick, the Big Stik is beautiful, pay attention to its design is so aerodynamic, with nothing to cause drag, and can be so wild or tame as you want, a beautiful plane, no matter which plane I plan to fly, the Big Stik is always in the car, and ready to fly, too much wind no problem, no wind, no problem, see is a beautiful plane.
Old 04-03-2004, 10:21 PM
boss351

Well, I couldn't find a 1100 mah rx battery, but I did come across a 1400 mah battery. I finished installing everything with foam etc and put it on the CG machine. Low and behold, bang on the money!! No lead and no mods were necessary! A relief. I agree jucava, this is a beautiful plane, particularly as a taildragger. Can't wait to get it up in the air tomorrow!

Thanks for the help..