Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Fuel tank question

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Fuel tank question

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2004, 03:38 AM
mrmarcdude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel tank question

I just got a 2 oz. dubro fuel tank for my plane (1/2 A). I am totally new and i have absolutely NO idea how to set this up. The instructions were pretty helpful, but it seems that if i ever would fly in a shallow dive when the tank is less than 3/4 full the fuel wont get to the clunk. and it will just pour out of the vent tube. My questions are. What is the vent tube, and does the pressure line to the pipe need to bu hooked ot this? How can i set up the tank to where i will get fuel at all angles? and how the heck do i get fuel into it once all the lines are hooked up? Here is a link to the tank i got. http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXD714&P=7 Whats with the 3 holes on the top cap? Sorry for my "dumbness"
Old 04-04-2004, 04:30 AM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Fuel tank question

Tanks will generally have two or three holes.

Two hole tank
One line goes to carb (other end to clunk)
One line goes to pressure nipple (other end to tank vent)

In this setup all holes are plugged, so no fuel will drain out. Filling is by removing the line from the pressure nipple. Stop filling when you see fuel go to the line to the carb.

Three hole tank
Set up same as before
Third line is another vent. The end of this is used for filling to stop you having to take off the line from the pressure nipple. Filling through this often results in fuel being seen at the exhaust line first. This reduces the chance of flooding the carb. To stop the fuel venting through this line you have to plug it after filling, either with a 'fuel dot' or a self tapping screw (or something similar).
Old 04-05-2004, 12:28 AM
mrmarcdude

sweet, thanks allot that was INCREDIBLY helpful! GOLD STAR! lol. Now im still wondering about the fuel clunk situation. It really seems that it will die if i fly at a downward angle. is this inevitable, or can this be fixed?
Old 04-05-2004, 10:11 AM
Montague

It's acutally a non-issue. The plane will generally be accelerating downwards, which pushes the fuel to the back of the tank anyway.

The fuel in the line itself can actually keep the engine running for a couple of seconds, which is enough to dive and pull out before you notice anything.

In the case of a prolonged terminal velocity dive, you could get an engine to suck air, but your normally have to really work at it. Usually you run out of altitude before you run out of fuel.
Old 04-05-2004, 11:45 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Besides that, air goes through the needle valve a LOT quicker than fuel, so if some air gets sucked in, it will happen in only 1 or 2 strokes and the engine will hardly even hiccup in that short of a time.
Old 04-05-2004, 04:58 PM
mrmarcdude

ok sweet. Thanks allot guys, i knew joining this board was a good idea!
[8D]
Old 04-05-2004, 10:51 PM
pjensen641

ORIGINAL: siclick33

Tanks will generally have two or three holes.

Two hole tank
One line goes to carb (other end to clunk)
One line goes to pressure nipple (other end to tank vent)

In this setup all holes are plugged, so no fuel will drain out. Filling is by removing the line from the pressure nipple. Stop filling when you see fuel go to the line to the carb.

Um...how do you fill through the presure line when the first little bit of fuel that goes in to the tank will get shot up to the carb (since the clunk is sitting on the bottom of the tank)? Maybe you are talking about something different that I have seen. I always fill through the carb line and wait until fuel comes out the presure line (which is at the top of the tank so fuel will not get to it until the tank is full). Enlighten me...
Old 04-06-2004, 05:45 AM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pjensen641.

Thanks for that, I got them the wrong way round. Sorry everybody.