Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Building Question

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Building Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2004, 10:11 AM
Gizzmo0411

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building Question

Hey all,

I've currently got a kit called an "Accipiter Badius" which is basically a cheap sailplane, it can be seen here:

[link=http://www.crymany.com]Accipiter Plane[/link]

It's got two servos, a reciever (27 mhz) speed control, and speed 380 motor.

My question is, that I'd like to purchase a slow stick, or something like it. I just don't know if it would be possible to put these parts onto a slow stick body. I'm mainly interested in developing a platform for some aerial photography. In any case, might someone here take a look at the parts list? Or I can take a picture of the innards and give me an idea of weather this will be possible or not?
Old 04-04-2004, 12:29 PM
Technito20

Default RE: Building Question

Well the Slow Stick has a motor with it already. Anyway a 380 motor is too big and too heavy. Also you couldn't use that receiver or servos either. The Slow Stick requires all micro equipment. To answer your question, the things you have will not work on this plane. But if you do want the Slow Stick, you would need a GWS Flight Pack. It runs about $75. This pack contains a micro receiver, micro esc, two micro servos and a 7.2 6 cell battery. And you will need to get a micro crystal which is not included in this pack costs about $10. The micro crystal can be ordered by any hobby store. Be sure to get the GWS Flight Pack that works with your type of radio and the channel number for the micro crystal.
Old 04-04-2004, 01:08 PM
Gizzmo0411

Yeah...do they sell the flight packs with 27 mhz AM recievers??
Old 04-04-2004, 04:06 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Technito.
Actually, the Slow Stick does not require micro equipment, standard servos and receiver will work. Of course keeping it light by using micros won't hurt, but if you're looking to start with something then move it....
You might be thinking of the GWs Pico Stick which DOES require all micro stuff.

I also think that the 380 might be okay for the Slow Stick, but you should check with the distributor, or do a search to make sure.

Gizmo,
Welcome to RCU. I'd recommend spending a lot more time doing research before you BUY anything. It will likely save you a bag of money.

I doubt that you'll find flight packs for 27 mHz AM equipment. 27 mHz is generally for small, inexpensive RC "toys" like the RC cars you see at Radio Shack, and the planes you find in Wallmart.

Larger RC aircraft is flown on 72 mHz, but if you go that way be SURE not to fly within a couple of miles of an existing RC club. Your radio could interfere with others and possible cause someone to get severely injured.

The range on most of the 27 mHz equipment is typically about 500 to 1000 feet (Max).

Spend some more time here, read the FAQ's pages, do a "Search" on "glider", and look through the aerial photography forums. I think you'll find a couple days worth of reading without trying too hard.

Good luck,
Dennis-
Old 04-05-2004, 08:16 PM
Technito20

Yes the Pico Stick does definetly require all micro equipment. But The Slow Stick, even though you can get standard servos to fit, I can guarantee you it will not balance. The mini servos may, haven't tried it. I just don't want anybody to do what I did. The Slow Stick was my first plane and I tried using standard servos. It didn't even lift, it tumbled and crashed! Oops. The CG ended was like right on the trailing of the rear wings. And if he decides to run a 380 motor, he'll be looking to spend at least $50 for another speed controller to push that. The ICS500 for example. And a bigger battery for more flight time. The Gws 9.6 volt 730 mah for example.
Old 04-06-2004, 02:34 PM
a65l
My Feedback: (17)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm runnign std. receiver W/pico servos, no problems with balance. Plane seems to handle wind better too.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34578.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	119426  
Old 04-06-2004, 10:29 PM
jettstarblue

I got standard servos, Rx, a 380 w/gearbox, and a 350 mah battery, and though I had to slide the wing back a little, it flies well.
Now to the accipiter badius.... a few whiles back a couple of folks on the electric forum had these, and they were having a ball learning/crashing/learning. You could go to the electrics forum and do a search for the "accipiter baddius" and you'll find the thread.
You should be able to transfer the equipment to the slow stik if you wish.

Jetts