Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Passed my BMFA 'A' test - no more supervision needed!

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Passed my BMFA 'A' test - no more supervision needed!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2004, 02:49 PM
photoniq

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passed my BMFA 'A' test - no more supervision needed!

Hi folks -

Today I managed to pass my British Model Flying Association 'A' test. I did not think I would be taking the test today because of the windy conditions. However, I was able to perform all of the required manouveres (dead stick landing, figure of eights maintaining same altitude, etc) to the examiners satisfaction.

So, I can fly without an instructor standing next to me now! I am really happy and can't wait to go flying again [8D]

The first thing I did after passing my test was to pack my plane away. The wind was just getting stronger and stronger and I knew that in my excitement I was likely to crash my plane

Next - build a second plane, fly it, and pass the 'b' test!

My instructor was brilliant. I feel extremely fortunate to have had him teaching me. He gave up his time to teach me free of charge when he could have been practicing for the aerobatic competitions that he takes part in. Top bloke!

P.
Old 04-04-2004, 03:13 PM
JimTrainor

Default RE: Passed my BMFA 'A' test - no more supervision needed!

Could you explain the BMFA 'A' requirements?
Old 04-04-2004, 03:29 PM
photoniq

To fly 'solo' i.e. without someone watching over you one needs to pass the A test. This test can be attempted a maximum of two times on any given day. You have to perform all of the manouveres first time i.e. if you are coming in for a landing and abort and do a fly by you fail immediately.

Here is what you have to do :

(a) Carry out pre-flight checks as required by the BMFA Safety Codes.
(b) Take off and complete a left (or right) hand circuit and overfly the take-off area.
(c) Fly a ‘figure of eight’ course with the cross-over point in front of the pilot, height to be constant.
(d) Fly a rectangular circuit and approach with appropriate use of the throttle and perform a landing on the designated landing area.
If the engine stops during the landing the model may be retrieved and the engine restarted to enable the remaining parts of the test to be completed.
(e) Take off and complete a left (or right) hand circuit and overfly the take-off area
(f) Fly a rectangular circuit at a constant height in the opposite direction to the landing circuit flown in (d).
(g) Perform a simulated deadstick landing with the engine at idle, beginning at a safe height (approx. 200 ft) heading into wind over the take-off area, the landing to be made in a safe manner on the designated landing area.
(h) Remove model and equipment from take-off/landing area.
(i) Complete post-flight checks required by the BMFA Safety Codes.

You can download the entire BMFA handbook from http://www.bmfa.org/handbook/index.html

After you have done the post flight checks (checking for rudder damage, hinges that came loose, etc) you get asked 5 random questions from the handbook on the rules and regulations of flying (where you can fly, weights allowed, alltitude allowed, etc) which you have to get right.

Cheers,
P.
Old 04-04-2004, 03:32 PM
JimTrainor

Do people ever rebel against this level of scrutiny?
Old 04-04-2004, 03:47 PM
photoniq

No - why would they? Being a memeber of the BMFA means you are covered by £5million worth of insurance and you are part of the oldest model flying organisation in the world. The BMFA gives you great support in terms of fighting for model fliers rights and helping them to establish flying fields etc. Remember, I live in the UK. We do not have the big open spaces you enjoy in Canada The BMFA handbook describes what they do.

At the end of the day, if you can not do what I described above you are probably not safe to fly on your own. Also you are likely to blow up your planes. So, being able to pass is good for me and for those around me.

P.
Old 04-04-2004, 03:55 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I think it is GREAT!
My old club (#288) in Indiana has a simular system. Not as strict but you had to solo to fly alone. My current club (#995) refuses to impliment any qualification system. I guess someone will have to crash and cause injury or property damage before it will be viewed as important.

I can't tell you how many times I have grounded a new pilot because the LHS sold him a plane and told him where the field was. No AMA, No prior experence, but because others make it look easy, he can do it.

I had a guy get mad because he could not fly a plane using a buddy box. He was all over the fleld. He would always say: "I use to race go carts so I know what to do!" (***?) Then he would say it was the buddy box and me standing next to him that made him nervious. He got another guy to take him up with the same results. He finally came out when no one was there and crashed his plane!

ORIGINAL: JimTrainor

Do people ever rebel against this level of scrutiny?
Old 04-04-2004, 03:57 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Hey Photo, this is one thing that modelers all over the world should learn to utilize. I have DL the book and read the section about A and B certificates. Very good!

ORIGINAL: photoniq

No - why would they? Being a memeber of the BMFA means you are covered by £5million worth of insurance and you are part of the oldest model flying organisation in the world. The BMFA gives you great support in terms of fighting for model fliers rights and helping them to establish flying fields etc. Remember, I live in the UK. We do not have the big open spaces you enjoy in Canada The BMFA handbook describes what they do.

At the end of the day, if you can not do what I described above you are probably not safe to fly on your own. Also you are likely to blow up your planes. So, being able to pass is good for me and for those around me.

P.
Old 04-04-2004, 03:58 PM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 'B' test in the UK is the next step and demonstrates aerobatic proficiency and safety. It is almost without exception that to fly at any show or large meet that this is the minimum requirement. Nobody rebels because anyone serious recognises the safety aspect. It also gives people learning something to aim for. This means that instead of just flying around aimlessly, people are practising specific manouevres that will ultimately lead to a more rapid progression.

Well done Photoniq. If the weather was anything like it was in North Wales then you did exceptionally well. Keep practising on your trainer and get the building board out. Once you've got your sport model ready you will discover another new and exciting world! Things only get better from now on.
Old 04-04-2004, 04:38 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

photoniq,
Outstanding! I felt for you when you posted that you wouldn't be able to take the test, and reading this made ME feel better.

Geistware (and niq),
I also think that the "A" and "B" tests are marvelous, and wish that we could implement something similar in the US. Fortunately, our club requires that new members be "checked out" prior to flying (those coming from other clubs), and we also require trainees to pass a "flight test" rpior to coming off the buddy box. The "test" however, is left to the discretion of the instructor, and a couple of them don't require as much as they maybe should.

My test required starting, taxiing and take off, rectangular circuits in both directions, figure eights in both directions (while maintaining an even altitude), a loop, a roll and a stall turn, followed by a touch and go, and finally, a "real" deadstick landing.

This was far more than anyone I've seen since, I think it was because I was taught by a Pattern flyer. But I'm also happy that he did require all of that because I was a much better pilot than many others, and I learned good habits from him. Like actually USING the rudder. (It took me two attempts at the stall turn because he'd never showed me that maneuver.

Anyway, congrats photniq. Let us know about the "B" test too will ya' ?
Dennis-
Old 04-04-2004, 05:27 PM
photoniq

Thanks for the congrats guys Here are the B test requirements:

(a) Carry out pre-flight checks as required by the BMFA Safety Codes.
(b) Take off and complete a left (or right) hand circuit and overfly the take-off area.
(c) Fly a ‘figure of eight’ course with the crossover point in front of the pilot, height to be constant. This manoeuvre must be flown more accurately than the similar manoeuvre in the ‘A’ certificate test.
(d) Fly into wind and complete one inside loop.
(e) Fly downwind and complete one outside loop downwards from the top (i.e. a bunt).
For aircraft (scale aircraft specifically) which for reasons of structural strength or control limitations cannot perform an outside loop, a Split S or Reversal (from level flight, half roll to inverted, hold, then pull through half loop to recover in level flight) may be accepted by the Examiner.
(f) Complete two consecutive rolls into wind.
(g) Complete two consecutive rolls downwind using the opposite direction of roll rotation to that used in (f) above.
(h) Complete a stall turn either left or right.
(i) Gain height and perform a three turn spin. For aircraft which will not spin, a spin attempt resulting in a spiral dive (not necessarily of three turns), will be acceptable. In each case the initial heading and the recovery heading must be into wind and the model must fall into the spin (no ‘flick’ spin entry).
(j) Fly a rectangular landing approach and overshoot from below 10 ft. Note that this manoeuvre is an aborted landing, not a low pass.
(k) Fly a rectangular circuit in the opposite direction to that in (j) at a constant height of not more than 40 feet.
(l) Fly a rectangular landing approach and land (wheels to touch within a pre-designated 30 metre boundary).
(m) Complete post-flight checks as required by the BMFA Safety Codes.

Following that you have to answer a minimum of eight questions on safety matters based on the BMFA Safety Codes for General Flying and Model Flying Displays and local flying rules.

Hope that helps,
P.
Old 04-04-2004, 06:02 PM
JimTrainor

I think it's a good as well. And not at all onnerous, or more difficult, than is already informally expected in many locales.
Old 04-04-2004, 06:09 PM
volkan

well done. was it hard, i will be taking my test this summer.
weather in london hasnt been great, (take today for example) i was going to go flying yesturday,
the weather was great till i got to the field, where is was 17mph winds!
Old 04-04-2004, 06:21 PM
photoniq

Volkan - it's been a few years since I have done any kind of test so the hardest thing was the nerves I would definitely advise you going through the sequence with your instructor a few times and on the day of the test picture yourself pulling off all the moves in the right order properly. Also, make sure you know the pre and post flight safety checks properly.

It's really not that hard. Remember, the A test is not to prove you are an ace pilot - it is only to show you are safe.

P.
Old 04-04-2004, 06:25 PM
volkan

well remember, but im used to tests here is my life:!

sats
11+ exams
13+ exams
common entrance exams
lots of mocks
and now GCSE's

(and when i stard flying lessons my PPL)

when will you take you b test?
Old 04-04-2004, 09:23 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Thanks for the particulars on the "B" test P.

Interestingly enough, there's one of those patterns that I still would not attempt at our field and that's "K". If you tried that at our field your plane would most likely end up in the trees on the far side of the runway.
Dennis-
Old 04-05-2004, 01:55 AM
photoniq

DBCherry - hehehhe i guess the 'deck' at your site is fairly high

Volkan - I am a long way from trying a B test. The first time I held a transmitter was probably only about 20 flights ago... Good luck with your GCSE's man. I wish I could have done PPL at your age. I think I will have to resort to doing one of those 3 week intensive courses in Florida one of these days. Just can not afford it right now though.

Cheers,
Photoniq.
Old 04-05-2004, 02:28 AM
sandal

photonic;
you write that you have to land correctly first time or you will fail. I'd like to hear people's opinions on this.

In our club, you can go around as many times as you want to (or need to), the goal is to make a controlled approach and a safe landing. We have a few people in our club that land no matter what. Often the plane comes in sideways, one wing high, the plane comes in too steeply, too low, etc. The plane goes all over the runway after landing, and a couple of times other people have been hit by these "semi-controlled" planes. IMHO, it would be better to go around, make another circuit, let the nerves calm down and try to fly a more stable approach. If it doesn't look right, go around and try again.

What do YOU think? Which way is safer?
Old 04-05-2004, 03:48 AM
photoniq

When we fly normally they encourage you to fly by any time you do not think you are going to make a good landing. However, for the purposes of the test I was told a fly by is instant failure. I guess this might be because they want to be sure you can bring the plane down where it is supposed to go consistantly. I must admit I was a little surprised at this myself.
Cheers,
P.
Old 04-05-2004, 03:51 AM
damo.f

Sandal, I'll answer your question!

The test is designed to make sure that you're safe and competant enough to fly alone, if you can't pass it then you're not ready! If you are unable to make a controlled, safe and reasonably accurate landing, then you still need someone standing next to you just incase you need help. By this stage you SHOULD be competant and safe enough to fly alone though! The test is there to give you a goal to aim towards and to make sure you're safe to fly alone. It really is quite simple - you can't complete test, you don't pass! You're not expected to make a landing as accurate and controlled as an "expert", just one that's safe. Safety is the priority, if you deem it unsafe to land (or even take-off!) then you can have another go at it. If the examiner agrees that there was a good reason for aborting, then normally you shouldn't get penalised (infact, in some cases you will actually gain points!) I suppose you think that you should be allowed to redo the deadstick aswell? The test is not hard, infact it's easy when you are a safe and competant pilot!

Sandal, I would suggest that you have some very dangerous flyers at your club! A sloppy landing is one thing, but hitting people is just dangerous. These people you describe sound very dangerous and IMO action should be taken against them! Maybe if you implemented a system such as the 'A' test, you may not have these dangerous and inconsiderate pilots! - just a thought!

To answer your question - The 'A' test way is safer. You shouldn't need to have to go around several times! You're more than entitled to go around again if you haven't got the approach right, but you really should be able to do it, if it was just bad luck you can take your test again and would pass - if you're not ready you can still take it again, but you'll fail again! Simple as!

It works VERY well over here - if it ain't broke don't fix it!
Old 04-05-2004, 03:53 AM
jcflysrc
My Feedback: (50)

photonic;
you write that you have to land correctly first time or you will fail. I'd like to hear people's opinions on this.
I would like to know I had the margin to fly by if need be. But I also remember taking my driving test as a kid. You only got one shot at it, and you either did it right or it didn't count. So I suppose it's the same thing. But in the real world, you can usually scrub a bad approach...but then there's the deadstick. You only get one shot at that. So maybe it is a neccessary requirement.
Old 04-05-2004, 04:00 AM
damo.f

Aeronaut, you are correct.

For the purposes of the test you only get one shot at it (unless, as I've already said, because of cirrcumstances out of your control) of course "normally" you can keep trying until you get it right or run out fuel!
I believe the main reason for it is that if there's an emergancy (i.e full-size fly-by, technical problems with your plane etc etc), you have to land quickly, but in a safe controlled mannor - you won't have time to go around again and again.
Old 04-05-2004, 05:21 AM
photoniq

I want to add that my fly by on my first go at the test which resulted in a failure was due ONLY to my horrible approach There was no dangerous thing going on and I deserved to fail for it. The second test I took 15 minutes later did not feature the aforementioned approach and so I passed [8D]

Hmmm - my celebratory 'i passed look at me i'm the man' thread seems to have turned more in to a discussion. Congratulate me already! [sm=sunsmiley.gif]

Photoniq

p.s. just joking about the praise and adoration bit.. well kinda..
Old 04-05-2004, 06:52 AM
damo.f

Well done! Good for you! Nice going! Nice one! ummm, can't think of anymore![sm=tongue.gif]

Na, seriously though, well done - you've just gotta start practising for ya 'B' now! I'm hoping to get mine in the next week or two (there's a show I wanna fly at, in early may!) but would you believe the weather![:@], and IF it's a nice day, the engine won't behave! Flying - ain't it such great fun!
Old 04-05-2004, 10:53 AM
Askalon
My Feedback: (1)

Great job non the less. At least If I were flying next to you I would know you are safe.

[sm=sunsmiley.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 04-05-2004, 11:49 AM
volkan

Photoniq,
i also cannot afford lessons, but im finding sponsors! Turkish Airlines looks promising, BA, Jet2 and Virgin, have said no.
but im studing to become a engineer, not a piolt, though i really want to be 1!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.