Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Are the fuels different

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Are the fuels different

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2004, 05:25 PM
Cjsworks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are the fuels different

Ok , im familiar with the differences such as oil content and % of nitro. However when I went to buy more fuel at the hobby store today I wanted to get it by the gallon and the only thing they had was cool fuel from 10% up to 40% nitro. The man at the hobby store however told me the cool fuel was only for helicopters. He also said the fuel is different for cars, helies, and aircraft. But he wasnt sure as to why. I was not aware of any differences other than oil and nitro content.The only difference I saw was its green not redish colored. Any info on this would be appreciated.
Old 04-04-2004, 06:12 PM
volkan

Default RE: Are the fuels different

all i know is they are all the same fuel, but differant percentages. aircraft 5%-10%, heli 40% (much more smoky!) and so on. buy someone correct me if im wrong
Old 04-04-2004, 07:24 PM
5_spot
My Feedback: (1)

My book on the evo said they recommended either power master or cool fuel 10 or 15% nitro.
Old 04-04-2004, 08:02 PM
smokingcrater

there isn't different fuel for helis, cars, and planes, there are different contents of oil (either/or synth or castor) and nitro. 40% nitro is very high and used in a couple racing cars, most helis use 30% on the higher end, but that works fine in most plane engines also. (i run coolpower 30% in my saito .72, spins a 15inch prop at 9000 rpm...)

anyway, airplane engines like from 15% oil up to 22% or so, heli run a little higher, 20%+.
Old 04-04-2004, 09:36 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

airplane engines like from 15% oil up to 22% or so
A bit deceptive. I ONLY run 10% in all of my 2 and 4 stroke engines except my YS, it likes higher nitro. Nitro isn't even really necessary for our engines, but they produce a bit more powewr and idle more reliably with it. Many countries generally don't use nitro fuels due to costs. (The higher the nitro content of the fuel, the more fuel your engine will burn.)

Cj,
Pretty much any of the glow fuels will work fine, (as you suspected, there's no difference except oil and nitro content), but I'd check to make sure there's at least 18% oil content, preferrably a blend of castor and synthetic. I would suggest not using higher than 20% in aircraft. Higher nitro content will produce a bit more power, but it's more expensive, you'll burn more, AND it will cause your engines to run hot.
Dennis-
Old 04-04-2004, 11:19 PM
Cjsworks

I didnt think there was any real difference, but the cool fuel was labled for helis. Ive been using SIG Champion Fuel with 15% nitro and 20% lube while it was cold but I got 10% nitro this time since its getting warmer out. I still woder about the cool fule though , its green . Guess im just used to the pink stuff. Now if the canadians will just stop sending down those artic jet streams.
Old 04-05-2004, 12:01 AM
FHHuber
Banned

I'm running 10% sport fuel in everything... (usually PowerMaster green)

As long as the oil content is adequate for the engine... this will USUALLY work. Some of the Heli engines will specify that you need more than the typical 18% oil content of general purpose sport model fuel.

The O.S. 4-stroke I have specifies 16% oil... so 18% isn't going to hurt it. It also specifies 10% to 20% nitro recommended. (it seems to run best when I mix 10% and 15% nitro fuel equally. I get 15% when the LHS is out of 10%.)

The O.S. .32 SX-H I have specifies 10% to 30% nitro and 18% oil. (sounds just like what I use...)

You won't find many engines that specify a NEED for more than 10% nitro. And it the engien doesn't need it... there's not any compelling reason to get the higher nitro fuel.

The "Heli fuel" an "Car fuel" labels are just excuses to charge more as far as I have been able to tell. I've tried some and the engines run the same with the same nitro content of "sport" fuel.

For some forms of competition... the increased nitro will let you burn the fuel faster and effectively advance the engine's timing... that CAN mean youre car can go faster... but usually, just keeping it on the track and upright will do you more good than increasing the nitro.
Old 04-05-2004, 12:26 AM
CrashBurn69

Everything I have seen, when labeled Helli fuel, its 100% synthetic oil. No caster. Thats the main difference. Car fuel will have anywhere from 10% for race up to about 18% oil for sport formula. Many car fuels will also have a more synthetic than caster content as well. But most of the percentages differ from manufacturer. Regular airplane fuel will have a caster/synthetic mix. There is some debate on the use of all synthetic oil brand fuel, because some syn oils will burn off at the temperatures our engines run. Caster is good up to 700 or so degrees, but I am not sure so don't quote me on the exact temperature. And most synthetics will burn up at 300-400 degrees. Older engines required the use of caster, but in new models, many use synthetic only. I do not personally know anyone that does. Someone that does can give you their opinion about it. Personally I like having the real stuff for peace of mind. I am not for sure but when you see most Helli engines they have that huge square head on them to dissipate heat a lot faster than a normal head will. I think that is why they can run the synthetic, just because their motor temp is lower and will not burn off the excess oil.
Old 04-05-2004, 01:28 AM
Todd M

Check out the fuel info at these links. Lots of good info. It can be pretty confusing trying to figure out what fuel you need for what type of motor. I hope this helps you out.

http://www.********.net/forums/showt...0bbc4ee&t=2762

http://www.********.net/forums/showt...0bbc4ee&t=2763

http://www.********.net/forums/showt...0bbc4ee&t=2764

http://www.********.net/forums/showt...0bbc4ee&t=2765

http://www.********.net/forums/showt...0bbc4ee&t=2766
Old 04-05-2004, 01:48 AM
JohnW
My Feedback: (6)

There can be some diffs between Car, Plane, and Heli fuel. While the methanol and nitro remain the same (except percentages), the oil is different. I don't just mean differnet % or castor vs synthetic. Differerent oil weights and additive packages are used based on application. In gerneral, for most beginner engines, this is nothing to really worry about. I.E., the average plane engine will burn heli & car fuel just fine. However, some specilized engines, or engines subjected to very high heat (cars/helis), fair better with differnet oil blends (i.e., weight and additive package.) This is why the different fuels.
Old 04-05-2004, 04:33 PM
Yub, yub, cmdr!

Some fuel manufacturers (mainly car fuels) proclaim that they put in this special additive (I'm referring to ZX-7 for Blue Thunder Sport Formula). It's supposed to prevent the car engine from over-leaning. I think it's just mumbo-jumbo, because all the additive does is change engine noise and bog the engine down. It's hard (I'm assuming) to hear the noise of your engine in a car race and to be able to distinguish it from others. Also, if you're a newbie how do you tell when the engine is bogging down??? One selling point of the fuel is that it is easy for beginners to use... [sm=confused.gif]
Old 11-04-2007, 11:51 AM
mansvoice-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

So what do you guys think is a better fuel ..Morgan Omega 30% or Sig 30% with 24%oil content? One of the guys at the field switched from the Omega to Sig 30 yesterday. For the first time, he dead-sticked with the Sig with 3/4 tank of fuel!
If the Sig 15% with 20%oil says "2 stroke fuel" is there any reason it can't be used in a 4 stroke engine?
what do you think?[&:]
Old 11-04-2007, 08:57 PM
downunder

mansvoice..
Morgan fuel has only 17% oil so switching to the Sig with 24% oil definitley means a retune is needed. I'm guessing he didn't retune so it ran leaner causing the dead stick. Any time you change fuels, even if the labels say they're the same blend, you should retune.

That Sig "2 stroke" fuel should be fine in a 4 stroke. One thing that should always be remembered is that too much oil has never killed an engine .
Old 11-05-2007, 06:16 AM
CGRetired

This topic comes up about once a month, and the answers are the same.

The only thing a person should look for is a good brand fuel with genuine 20% oil (blend of castor and some other good quality oil, perhaps turbine oil) and accurate percentage of nitro content. The color is usually a come-on.

So, even though I have recommended a particular brand in the past, I won't this time because I've already done that. What I WILL recommend is that you buy a good quality brand fuel with the recommended percentage of nitro content and at least 20% oil blend. Period. Try it out. If it works out ok, then stick with it. I've tried several different brands and they all have run just fine in ALL my engines, from .40 on up to 1.60 glow and I've ended up with one particular one because it was readily available at my LHS, which may drive most purchases for most RC'ers.

CGr.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:19 AM
808_TITAN

i use the cool power 15% fuel with my .61 os fx.its green. when i used to fly 10years ago there was only red. but i know its fine, color dosnt matter.lol
Old 11-05-2007, 12:43 PM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

Airplane fuel is typically 18-20% oil, with around 2% of that castor and the rest synthetic. Heli fuel is typically 18-20% synthetic oil (no castor). Car fuel is typically about 12% oil.

I'd burn airplane or heli fuel in a nitro car engine, but I wouldn't burn the car fuel in an aircraft engine due to the low oil content. I ran some 15% nitro airplane fuel through my .21 nitro buggy for awhile, and finally got some 20% nitro car fuel for it. The car fuel smoked much less, and I got a lot more power out of it.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:32 PM
horace315
My Feedback: (15)

with nitro there are only two places in the us that make nitro as far as i know either cal. or tx.they are getting ready to open another methanol plant here in south east VA they make methanol in a lot of places.the only difference in fuel would be the type oil and and of course nitro content.the color of the fuel is just the manufacturer adding dyes.the best thing to do is go by what the engine maker suggest.i do however add some extra castor to my fuel due to the older engines i use and some added protection. i run 10% nitro fuel in my engines.some people here swear by 15%.but for the type flying i do and the variety of engines i use and the extra cost of 15% i will stick with my 10%