Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

acro wot - opinions

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

acro wot - opinions

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2004, 05:51 PM
photoniq

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default acro wot - opinions

Hi folks - thinking of an acro wot for my second plane. I know i've been asking all sorts of second plane questions recently - sorry about that. If you have experience of an acro wot could you let me know if this is a good choice? The Sussex model centre web site has it down as a good low wing trainer that can also be aerobatic.

Cheers,
P.
Old 04-04-2004, 06:15 PM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: acro wot - opinions

I have had two Chriss Foss kits. My first ever plane was a WOT 4. Unfortunately I crashed this on about it's sixth flight trying to do a loop.

A little while ago I had a Wots Wot. I was enjoying myself so much that on the maiden flight I looped too low and didn't have enough height to pull out. Bugger, that darned loop again!

Don't let this put you off. The kit quality is outstanding. The instructions are outstanding. They fly outstanding. Nearly every club I have flown at has had it's share of these kits.

The Acro Wot would be a very good first low winger. It has a large engine range. If you go for a powerful 46. (OS 46FX or Super Tiger GS 45) then it will be not too scary but still aerobatic.
Old 04-04-2004, 06:17 PM
photoniq

Cool! I have an OS 46fx in my trainer that I was thinking of using in the Acro Wot (Wot 4 is too ugly for my liking).
P.
Old 04-05-2004, 04:05 AM
Runway

Hi Photoniq
The Acrowot is an excellent model - IMO no serious vices at all for the sport flyer. Whether it is a suitable second 'plane really depends on your own flying skill level. Some might prefer the Wot4 [also by Chris Foss] as a second model. Why not ask at your club to see what the more experienced flyers advise for you?

If you do decide to build an Acrowot, consider putting a servo in each wing [instead of the single servo as per the instructions]. It is not difficult to include this as part of the building sequence and it carries only a v. small weight penalty - it will give you more control options as your flying skills progress.

Hopefully you'll get some other opinions as well to give you a range of comment to choose from.

Best of luck
Old 04-05-2004, 05:29 AM
photoniq

Hi Runway, I asked around at the club and did get shown a wot 4. I hate to say it, but that plane just did not appeal to me from an aesthetic point of view. For me this was enough to totally put me off it. I had a chat with my instructor and he thought I would be able to handle an acro wot. Originally I had been spouting crazy talk with mention of glen models extra 300s and even a flair mitsubishi zero

I think the choice really comes down to the acro wot and the u-can-do 3d 46. Not sure which way to go out of those two.

P.
Old 04-05-2004, 07:22 AM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Galaxy models magician is also nice. Looks nice and is easy to fly. I don't think it's quite as aerobatic as an acrowot but it's still good fun.
Old 04-06-2004, 08:13 AM
Runway

Photoniq
Go for it! If your instructor thinks you are up to it then you must be progressing well! I have no experience of a u-can-do 3d. However, what I can say about the Acrowot is that, being a kit, if you build it and then crash it [as we all do eventually] then you'll know how to repair it, too. They tend to float on forever on landings on calm days - so maybe let your instructor fly it first time out.
Got an Irvine 53 in mine and this is strong enough for all the aerobatics I'm capable of [unless you want the vertical climbs to go on forever].

Let us know how you get on.

ps Why don't you go for both models - I always have three on the go - two ready for the air and usually one on the repair bench!!!