Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

I can't start my new Saito 56

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

I can't start my new Saito 56

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2004, 11:15 AM
hgiles
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I can't start my new Saito 56

Tried and tried to get the engine running and sent it back to Horizon. They checked it out ran it a while and say its fine. Now I have it mounted on my bench and can't get it running.

I don't want to start tinkering with adjustments because they said it was 'tuned' now and should start just fine. I still can't get it running though. I am suspecting my fuel might be bad, though it is a brand new jug -- just opened! Seems to be plenty of fuel getting to the carburetor. Glow plug burns my finger when I test it. Everything else seems fine. What should I try?

Can I try running it without a muffler? This will not burn the valves will it? I know with conventional auto engines it will eventually.
Do I set idle with the black screw or try to control throttle using the control horn?? When I move the control horn there is a distinct area that sounds like it is blowing more and I presume this is where I should be trying to start it. Too low or high and it sounds like its doing nothing. I really need to get this thing going reliably, so I can finish building the plane. Any help is appreciated!

I will check the tank vent tonight again, but I do not believe it is restricted. Likewise with the clunk.
Old 04-06-2004, 11:28 AM
frank99
My Feedback: (29)

Default RE: I can't start my new Saito 56

are you fliping the prop by hand or useing a starter[&:] some times they need rpms to get fuel and every thing just right to fire this might be a start[8D] several people will reply
Old 04-06-2004, 11:35 AM
taurus02914

Are you sure the fuel is entering the carb? is the exhaust spray dry or wet ? and the starter thing that frank99 mentioned.I find that the Saito engines are so reliable and easy starting.
Old 04-06-2004, 11:44 AM
hgiles

I am using an electric starter. Funny thing though, I have to connect red to black to get the starter to turn the prop clockwise.

The exhaust sounds wet to me when I try to start -- like it's blowing mist. If I have the idle horn too low or high it doesn't give me the 'sound.' I really appreciate the help, guys! I hear the Saitos are easy starting and I actually had it fired once or twice before I sent it back, just couldn't keep it running. I was worried I'd broken something trying to start it and sent it back, only to have Horizon say everything was fine. I don't know what to try next. They say the needles are set now and I don't want to mess with them unless I am sure, which I aint!!
Old 04-06-2004, 12:04 PM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you sure you need to turn the prop clockwise? All my engines run anticlockwise (not saito, but every other engine I own).

It sounds to me like you are trying to run the engine backwards.
Old 04-06-2004, 12:09 PM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just checked. As expected Saito engines do run anticlockwise. I wouldn't spin it clockwise with a starter. It probably won't do it much good.
Old 04-06-2004, 01:17 PM
bhole74

If you are looking at the front of the plane, it turns counter-clockwise.
Old 04-06-2004, 01:30 PM
hgiles

That would explain it. I will try that. Manual says it should turn clockwise, but doesn't clarify by saying from which perspective. I think I actually tried it half-heartedly the other way, but I will try again. I feel like a goof!
Old 04-06-2004, 02:29 PM
Commander_Drake
My Feedback: (2)

You may also want to take out the glow plug, hook it up to your glow battery, and look at it to make sure its glowing good.
Old 04-06-2004, 03:43 PM
taurus02914

The motor definatly starts counterclockwise, they will start backwards somtimes but you probubly wont get more than an idle backwards
Please let us know how you make out
Old 04-06-2004, 03:48 PM
Crashem

Hope you didn't do any damage to the engine!!![]
Old 04-06-2004, 05:31 PM
rrh

I doubt if you have done any damage. I have a .30, .65 & .100 and the two bigger ones have started backwards and run up pretty good with no damage, although I wasn't spinning them backwards with the starter. Are you doing everything like the manual says? Open throttle 1/4 or so, finger over muffler outlet with a couple of turns of the prop to prime. Get where you can look in the throttle bore and make sure you are opening it and not closing it, I mark an arrow somewhere near the control arm for when I forget and need to reverse the servo. When you do the prime thing you should see fuel come up the fuel line and a bit will drip out the carb bore. Hit it with your starter and it should fire right up. Make sure you are getting plenty of juice to the glow plug, coil should be bright orange if you pull it out and connect it. Don't change any screw settings. It's gonna fire up for you.

rrh
Old 04-07-2004, 07:55 AM
hgiles

Right, right!! I mean left -- counter-clockwise!! That was it! Fired right up and ran great!! I just let the engine run a little faster than idle for half a tank, then checked the transition. Great transition to about 3/4 throtttle!! Anything beyond 3/4 and engine dies. I don't have a tach. I am going to research that tuning thread to find out if this means I am rich or lean.

Anyway, starting and rnning at low speed is no longer a problem. It is as everyone says -- quite easy to start provided the prop is turning the right (left, counter-clockwise, correct) direction!!

Thanks all for the help!!
Old 04-07-2004, 08:20 AM
bhole74

Sounds like it's lean, turn the high speed screw counter-clockwise.
Old 04-07-2004, 08:43 AM
hgiles

I was 'leaning' toward that same assessment. I will open up the high needle and see if it helps. From what I understand I should be able to have the throttle wide open and the engine continue to run. Engine will not typically continue to run if you close the throttle the other way, correct?

My objective now would be to richen the high speed needle enough to where the engine doesn't die at WOT. From here I understand there will be some latitude between rich and lean that is best determined with a tach (which I don't have). In the meantime and while my engine is mounted on a bench, how do I determine the best high speed setting.

Remember I can't tilt the engine with the nose in the air -- it is mounted on a bench. Is the pinch test reliable on a four stroke or not?? Stumbling (slowing) and regaining speed means still too lean. Speeding up means still too rich. Am I right?
Old 04-07-2004, 09:03 AM
bhole74

If you're running it on the bench to break it in, make sure you are running it rich. If you're just trying to get the mixture set right for when you finally get it installed on the plane, don't bother, just mount it. By the time you get it on the plane and get it to the field, it will need reset anyway. I'm not sure if the pinch test is very accurate on a 4 stroke engine, as I personally never do it. I rely on a tach and nose up attitude to double check. When test running on a bench, you can slowly lean the mixture and listen for the rpm increase. Once it quits increasing, richen it back up until you hear the rpms slightly drop. (if you don't have a tach).