Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Glow vs. Electric

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Glow vs. Electric

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2004, 11:01 PM
airyzonie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glow vs. Electric

I am 48 years old and have been intrigued by radio control airplanes for about as long as I can remember but I've never been able to justify the cost. I have finally reached a point in my life where I think the cost is coming within reason. As such, I'm pretty much your basic middle aged newbie. I bought a Firebird Commander (2 channel park flyer) to dip my toe in the water. I was reasonably happy with that experiment but I think I'd like to get more serious. For me that means:

1) Joining a local club and trying to find an instructor/mentor.
2) Getting a plane with at least 3 channels and probably 4.
3) Getting a radio that isn't specific to the plane. One that is relatively easy to use but not one that I'll outgrow quickly.
4) Learning basic flying skills. (I don't put much stock in the self-teaching I've done with my Commander)

I'm making progress on number one. I spoke to a veteran member of a local club and he seemed to be gently steering me toward a .60 glow plane as a trainer. He didn't seem dead set on it but that definitely seemed to be his leaning.

Bear with me.... I'm working up to a question....

I'm wondering if this is just his comfort zone since he's probably been in the glow plug world longer than I've been alive. I went to an all electric event at the club's flying field and was amazed at the huge range of planes from RTF park flyers like my Firebird to 3D foamies to multi-engine ducted fan screamers.

For me at this point, my most basic question is this: Is there any compelling reason to start out in this hobby with glow planes or with electrics? I don't expect to have both glow and electric planes as many people seem to. I think I should pick one power source or the other and plan to focus on that. I suspect that to a large measure my decision depends on what kind of flying I expect to do and that's a problem because I'm not really sure. I think I should learn the basics first and then decide. If I had to predict, I suspect that in the long run I'd lean toward soaring rather than radical aerobatics or hyper speed. I've wondered if it wouldn't be best to learn flying fundamentals in a powered sailplane but even in that case, the question remains: gas or electric?

I asked this question in the electric forum and am curious to see how the answers compare. Any feedback y'all can give me would be much appreciated.

Undecided in Phoenix.
Old 04-06-2004, 11:14 PM
FHHuber
Banned

Default RE: Glow vs. Electric

Startup costs tend to be lower for the ".60 size" aircraft when its glow powered instead of electric powered.

The electric power systems that are worth bothering with at larger than "500" size motors get expensive quickly. Many of the better motor systems for smaller planes can be expensive too. You'll have a gearbox, the motor and an electronic speed controller. EACH of these can equal the cost of the glow engine.

Long term... the electric would pay off IF you stick with it. Modern electric systems are pretty amazing to someone like me who tried them 25+ years ago. The power to weight of the package is now competitive with glow power.

We are beginning to see serious examples of competition aerobatic models with electric power systems. There was a prime example at a recent Pattern Aerobatics competition. The pilot was just flyig at the "Sportsman" level, but the 72 inch span Extra 300 scale model he used could have outperformed some of the glow power models used at the Advanced level (2 classes higher) I believe a recent top 20 in Masters Pattern was achieved with an electric model at the NATS. (you're airplane has to have GREAT performance for that...)

Electric models will probably eclipse glow power just as glow eclipsed the gasoline/ignition engines of the 1930's to early 1950's. The noise reduction is a HUGE factor in preventing loss of a flying site as housing builds up nearer and nearer to the field. If there is no noise... there's no reason for the neighbor to be annoyed by the noise.
Old 04-07-2004, 12:00 AM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Yup! Jason Shulman came in 7th with an electric powered airplane called a "Rhapsody"- I saw the video and without the sound it looked like a glow powered airplane if not smoother on the uplines! (And I am Glow all the way 18 years worth-)

If you think sailplanes are your bag, see if a local club has a winch or high-start system to pull up your glider and you can buddy-box with an instructor on that- if you want electric powered sailplanes they are very popular now in ARF form and come with motor/batts/folding props. etc.

The best resource in the world (Other than an actual flight instructor-) is this site- any plane, radio or combo you are interested in has been covered in here!

Just remember to hold on and have fun! You will be addicted soon
Old 04-07-2004, 01:41 AM
airyzonie

Regarding the cost,,, it always appeared to me that the big tool or tackle boxes that I saw RC fliers toting around were full of needed paraphernalia. Since I am starting essentially from scratch I'm guessing there will be a lot of incedental expenses for ground support equipment. I know that's true in both the glow and electric worlds but do you think that it is comparable or is there less gear needed for one over the other? I want to sort out of the equation the "But I already have all the accouterments for glow" because in my case, I'm starting from zero.

The idea that "Electric models will probably eclipse glow power" sounds like a bit of an endorsement for electric. Do you glow guys think it is fair to say that technological innovation in that world is slowing down while in the electric world it is far from plateauing?

I'm getting the sense that in addition to the noise factor, the cleanliness factor is in favor of the electrics. I didn't see ANY paper towels being used at the all electric fly in I attended last weekend. That's gotta be a factor if I plan to throw this thing in a car to drive it home after flying, huh?
Old 04-07-2004, 05:15 AM
RVator
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My instructor flys electric and big gas powed models. He has small indoor electrics that weigh in grams. When he flys only his E-powered planes he brings 3 with him one flying,one is cooling down and one on the charger. I really like the performane of his E-powered planes and would like to try one but I still love the sound of my 4 stroke glow engine pulling my Ultra Stick straight up until it is a speck in the sky and it leaves a cool smoke trail, E-power can't do that.
Old 04-07-2004, 06:32 AM
Jim Finn
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dropped out of R/C flying for 12 years and when I came back to it I decided to try electric. I am glad I did. I started with gliders then engine gliders then .40 sized glo planes, never did get to .60 sized. It is true, electric is more expensive than glow in the sizes I now fly. (.60 sized warplanes) Yes electrics are much cleaner, quiter and not smelly. More civilized. You can fly them in more places. The range of type and size of planes for electric is a lot bigger than for glo. Multi engine scale models are easier to do as are scale building (no muffler sticking out) and you can make electrics very small and very large easier than with glo power. It was like pulling teeth to get a glo instructor to teach me with electric though when I re-entered the fun. There are more electric instructors out there nowadays. I used to work in a hobby shop and always told folks "get an instructor, buy what he tells you, learn to fly, and then you will know what direction to go from there" ............... If you like watching gliders in the sky I suggest an electric motor glider. Get a glider and motor seperate. The motors that come with the planes are never powerful enough to be much fun.
Old 04-07-2004, 07:54 AM
CRFlyer

Either glow or electric will work and you will get many opinions from the members here. My preferences are strongly for glow. I want to be able to hear the engine when I fly, and I enjoy the sweet smell of burnt fuel. I also enjoy tinkering with the engines that I have. For these resons and more, I enjoy glow powered planes. I have flown a couple of electric park flyers and have seen some other electric powered planes, and they work well also. My opinion is that it comes down to what type of power your most interested in, and most comfortable working with.
Old 04-07-2004, 11:52 AM
FHHuber
Banned

As far as FLYING the model... there's not much dofference between glow and electric... You still have throttle, rudder, elevator and aileron as the basic controls. The physics of lift, weight, thrust and drag don't change.

Some of the E-power models have lesser power:weight than the same size glow model would... but that's just te same as actully using a .25 on a .25 to .40 power model. It works FINE. You just have to fly the wing instead of just the pointing the prop. (requires a pilot instead of a stick jockey.)

A lot of the "stuff" I cart in that huge box that I take to the airfield is absolutely unnecessary. Generally... I just need my little glow eignitor and my fuel jug with hand powered pump. The electric starter is optional. (but I know the SAFE hand start method... If you don't know it... don't do it until you are shown how.)