Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

A Note on Computer Simulators

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

A Note on Computer Simulators

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2004, 08:44 AM
hgiles
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Note on Computer Simulators

I have one (AFP) and I highly recommend any new person to get one.
The obvious reason is it will teach you how to fly and how to respond instictively (after a time) to the aircraft's behaviour. Sure, it will not teach you how to be a modeler or craftsman, but it will teach you how to fly and the basics of setting up your radio. It will give you familiarity with your radio and how to use all 9 channels without having to spend $10,000 on a plane to do it. It will show you how a 'perfectly' set up plane should fly.
The other obvious benefit is it will reveal what your likes and dislikes are. You are going to gravitate to paricular model types -- Helis or planes. You will find yourself flying warbirds or aerobatics; Glow or electric. You will eventually learn what you like and dislike without having to try the real thing. Once you know all these things you can start spending your money again on things you KNOW you will like.
It will save you money many times over, IMHO.
Last note: Having said all that, I do not think there will every be a replacement for one on one personalized instruction from an experienced hobbyist.
Get a sim, if you don't have one -- get AFP! :-)
BTW, I am not a rep or anything, I just love AFP.