Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Good second plane for 3D

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Good second plane for 3D

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 04:50 PM
fly boy 1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Good second plane for 3D

[8D]Hi everyone! I recen tly have picked up a new h9 arrow trainer. It has a semi-symmetrical airfoil. Once it warms up a bit I will be flying at the club with my instructor. I was wondering after I have soloed and have some time under my belt with it I was thinking about getting a funtana or a UCD 46 or something like that. The arrow does have diff landing characteristics than other trainers, by that I mean when you increase the throws you have to use throttle management when you land to steady your glide path. I also have about 30 to 35 hours on a G2. Now with this experiance does any one think I will have enough experiance for these advanced planes, or can any one recommend something different. I also will be using a standard 4 channel TX, the JR Quattro. Should I also get a more advanced TX, as I was looking at the Futaba 9C. All help is appreciated and I thank you all.[8D]
Old 04-13-2004, 05:11 PM
Skitchen8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Good second plane for 3D

I still haven't even flown my plane but I feel I can give a little bit of advice, anyone feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

From what I have read you don't want a full 3D plane as your second plane, you will probably still have a lot to learn after you have retired out of your trainer and should purchase something that is capable of aerobatics but is still relatively easy to fly. Many people I have talked to also agree that trainer time does not translate into knowing how to fly, my 11 year old brother has played (and I use that term on purpose) FMS and Aerochopper quite a few times and he can handle the plane but I won't let him touch my LT-40 until we are both fully certified as able to fly by an instructor and I have seen him demonstrate ability to fly (I plan on gettin an electric soon I will let him play with). Make sure to get checked out by your instructor and maybe ask around the club and see if you can try some more advanced planes on a trainer box and see what you think you may be ready for. If you can fly 3D then by all means do so, but unless you are sure you are ready you might just end up buying a reall expensive shovel.

As per your radio question I wouldn't personally go with a 9C as from what I can tell it is made more for helicopters that require more channels, a plane requires 4 channels and you can add a few other things on such as smoke and bomb-drop modules but I think that 9 channel might be a little bit of overkill

Again, my advice isn't from experience but simply from what I have read so take it at face value.
Old 04-13-2004, 05:12 PM
xplayer930

its all up to your instructor on what level of capabilaties he feels you are up to.
Old 04-13-2004, 09:25 PM
phread59

As far as the radio goes, yes a computer radio for 3-D is almost a must. The 9-C is a good one, so is the JR 8103.

The planes you want should be ok. I am not a 3-d fan. But another source of good 3-d planes is Morris Hobbies. Thier profile series of planes are well thought of. You may want to look at them.

Mark Shuman
Old 04-13-2004, 09:42 PM
JimTrainor

I have helped someone with an Arrow, and have a UCD 46 myself.

After learning with the Arrow, then switching to the UCD you will think.... "holy @#$#@ this thing is easier to fly than the arrow".

They are unimaginably simple to fly. Even with rates way up they are easy. It's unreal.... literally. If you don't use it for learning 3D it would just get boring really quickly because it is so forgiving.

You shouldn't have any problem.

The one thing it won't do, that the arrow will, is hands off recovery to level flight. But that's overrated anyway.
Old 04-13-2004, 11:12 PM
depfife
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think a profile makes a good second plane for a lot of people. With the throws turned down most are easy to fly and have great slow flight characteristics. As you get more comfortable you can increase the throws on your control surfaces. Another plus for the profiles is they are more durable than many "fat" planes. Take a look at the Fun Fly & Profile forum here at RCU and you will get an idea of which profiles are popular.

Eric
Old 04-14-2004, 01:15 AM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Get something like a 4* 40, Magic-3D, Magic Extra or Sig SE for your 2nd plane- These will take you from trainer into a 3D capable aircraft- (Funtana, UCD etc.)

The guy who said the UCD is easy even with the rates up sounds a bit optimistic! Nobody I have worked with could make that transition SAFELY without a plane at least in between-
Old 04-14-2004, 01:48 AM
gitterdun
My Feedback: (1)

Sig Something Extra is what I'm building, read about it on here My buddy has one and man is it cool, you can get a little crazy and still it lands real slow check it out!
Old 04-14-2004, 06:57 AM
JimTrainor

I had a big stick for a second plane and tihnk the UCD is comparable, but simpler. It doesn't misbehave when the rates are turned up. Doesn't mean you should start with them turned up. It is just plain simple IMO. I had a GP Tracer for a third plane, by way of comparison. I would say that requires an intermediate step. But not the UCD. Personally, I've never seen anything land as gently and slowly as my UCD 46 does. It practically floats. I had the thing dead stick with the nose pointed straight up, only about 20-30 feet off the ground. It just flopped over and glided down. No big deal.