Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Old 06-26-2002, 05:41 PM
waszot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 06-26-2002, 06:11 PM
Jim_McIntyre

"All of the above" barely scratches the surface of the iceburg.

I take a more 'wholistic' view. The more you put in, the more you get out. The less it was to begin with, and the more it is when complete, the greater the reward.

Achieving that perfect 100% score (static and flight) on a plane you scratch built from your own design is the ultimate thrill I'm working toward.
Having young children I can barely afford the time for kitbuilding but, all too soon, they'll be too busy for ole Dad.... and
Old 06-26-2002, 06:22 PM
CrazyHerb-RCU-delete
My Feedback: (2)

Default Girls

I do this to meet girls....
(Just kidding)

Mostly I do this cause I'm an "air-head" in the literal sense.

I get ground sick if I'm not flying myself, or something in the air.

It's just darn fun....

High Flights!
Old 06-26-2002, 07:34 PM
Billy Hell

I look forward to the flying. I like rolling around ideas in my head, "this engine would be good for this but this engine would be better". I like to know I have 2 or 3 planes ready to fly and one in the shop that I can always be building on. I love the thrill of nailing a new manuever for the first time. I'm new so I'm right in the middle of doing new manuevers. I like the idea that I can build or buy any of my all time favorite planes and fly them. You can't really do that with cars. I could want a P 51 but I don't think I'll ever really have one. But I can have a great model and fly it! I love knowing I can do this till I die. I love all my tools and always looking for better and newer tools. I love to know that my shop is always down there waiting on me. I leave the light on at all times (I know that's wierd but it's like leaving the TV on when you live alone). I like my group of friends that I eat lunch with and fly with on early Sunday mornings. We don't expect anything from each other except to fly safely and have fun. I could go on and on.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	15653_2779.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	10043  
Old 06-26-2002, 07:47 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

I do it because deep down I think want to be able to fly. I have taken full scale lessons, but I just don't get the same thrill when I can't just go up and do anything I want to. (Like rolls, loops etc.) Now you could say, "you can learn full scale aerobatics", but when it comes to past times, I have a philosophy...

Never participate in any sport where the first rule is: DON'T DIE!
Old 06-26-2002, 08:08 PM
TopShelf
My Feedback: (4)

All of the above and then some
Old 06-26-2002, 08:14 PM
azmuth

i'm with billy and minn.

i'm new to this, but i'm not new to rc cars and trucks.

i still love the cars and trucks i've built, but its time to move on to what i've been waiting to do since i was little.

my mean uncle took me to the field one time when i was a kid and i've wanted to fly ever since. and now that i still cant afford it, i'm finally getting started.
Old 06-26-2002, 08:57 PM
GrnBrt
My Feedback: (5)

Well I flew my first model in '53 when I was 9, and it was a U/C. I have been at ever since and must admit that since my disability has gotten worse I enjoy the building more now then the flying. I have the good fortune of meeting some very nice people along the way, Carl Goldberg, Jack Stafford and Duke Fox to name a few. One thing that I have noticed that for the most part everyone treats you pretty much the same no matter how well known they are, or what they do for a living and on and on. When I was competing (scale masters) yes I love scale I had the time of my life and these are memories that I will always have. I still talk to friends that I made over 40 years ago and to me that's what it's all about, friends!!!!!
Old 06-26-2002, 09:02 PM
Saito_56-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Default Why?

Why do I enjoy this Sport/Hobby? Thats a easy one for me. I work 3pm to 11pm, stuck in a office behind a computer. In the mornings I spend the day with my wife, and the lawn and odds and ends that need to be done. If I am good, on Monday and weds mornings, I pack up my stuff as my wife calls it, and head to the flying field. I enjoy being there early, we can start flying at 9am, but I am there normally at 8:15am. I put my planes together, range check them check the batteries, then clean up the field a little. papers, old pop cans etc. then I sit and enjoy the total SILENCE! Our field is located in the country and it is just great. On Monday there are only about 3 or 4 flyers there, weds maybe 10. The friends I have made while flying almost equals the enjoyment I get from flying.
Old 06-26-2002, 09:10 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

I curse the day I started in this god forsaken hobby, Damnit to hell. Good god I love it
Old 06-26-2002, 09:12 PM
Billy Hell

Just the other day I was downtown hoping to score an extra glow plug. I can quit anytime I want, no really.
Old 06-26-2002, 09:22 PM
Tattoo

Combat...combat...combat...COMBAT...combat!!!!

You can learn all the stunts, make a billion rounds of the patttern, fly a thousand different airplanes, and compete in individual flight performance type contests or have your planes judged by how scale they are...but you will never ever experience the pure thrill R/C until you match your flying abilities up against others in air to air combat! What a rush!...may the best man live
Old 06-27-2002, 12:42 AM
Longaly

Default Why R/C?

The answer is as diverse as the hobby itself! There seems to be some aspect for anyone who enjoys flying or aircraft in general.

Let's see, there is scale, fun fly, sport, pattern, senior pattern, 3d, pylon racing, combat, 2 cycle, 4 cycle, turbine, helicopters, etc. etc.........

What more could anyone ask for?! As long as we all remember that this hobby may mean something different to the guy or gal flying next to us. I have seen threads on this site and others where a certain group may complain or belittle another only because they enjoy a different type of flying. Remember, we all love this hobby for many different reasons!

I hope the rain stops so I can do some flying this weekend!!!!!!
Old 06-27-2002, 02:07 AM
t_burley
My Feedback: (59)

Originally posted by Billy Hell
Just the other day I was downtown hoping to score an extra glow plug. I can quit anytime I want, no really.

lol
Old 06-27-2002, 11:51 AM
Al Stein

I'm with Herb...
I do this to meet girls....
Other than that, I'd it's largely for the feeling of creation. I love to build something beautiful and see it take flight.

But Art brought up an even better reason... the people (oops I didn't mean that to be a contrast with my first statement ). Hey Goat -- good to see ya! (Old??? Never!!!)
Old 06-27-2002, 01:06 PM
Billy Hell

I just had a 2 hour conversation with the wife about how she feels like I would rather be flying than with her. I guess the wife/husband issue is one of the bad points.
Old 06-27-2002, 01:41 PM
otisflies

No wife

No phone

No computer in front of me

No customers calling

Smell and sound of an engine purring

The feeling like you somehow could be in that plane pulling a knife edge accross a freashly cut field

The ever present danger that it might just fall out of the sky on the next pass

....this list goes on and on
Old 06-27-2002, 02:16 PM
Al Stein

Hey Billy --

I'm right there with ya man (I was kidding about meeting girls). Mine goes on some awful jealousy binges once in a while, and it's not like I really spend much time with my planes anyway... just her feelings about the world at that particular time.

Sometimes hard to take, but it's been 27 years (as of yesterday), so I guess it must be bearable on both sides. Anyway, I sympathise.
Old 06-27-2002, 03:08 PM
waszot

Old 06-27-2002, 03:47 PM
Billy Hell

That would be great.
Old 06-27-2002, 06:50 PM
Texas 3D
My Feedback: (16)

Default Why R/C ?

Because you deserve it.......You've worked hard.....You can not afford not to buy it.....
Old 06-27-2002, 06:57 PM
Al Stein

Stuka -- that sounds a lot like the mental breakdown I've been anticipating.

Hmmmm...
Old 06-28-2002, 05:04 AM
StormGald

LOL some ones in to this to much Ill am like that with the Gliders/Floting wings :P Its addicting Like Crack :\

Sorry for the Typos been looking at the sun to long 8p
Old 06-28-2002, 12:48 PM
waszot

Old 06-28-2002, 07:23 PM
RONSTERMONSTER

For me It is something to create, to tinker with , it keeps your mind buisy . This is only my second season and the leaning will never stop . This hobby is a never ending learning curve for people like my self that have a need to continually learn . It is the greatest hobby I have been involved in . I have met a few people that has made my life better because of them . What other hobby / sport where you age or physical health does not mean that much . Flying a model plane is a skill to be proud of . I have raced motorcycles , mountian bikes , and was a compeditive bodybuilder fro many years and now I am an rc pilot the differance is getting older does not meen I have to stop . I can learn new things till the day I die and that is cool . I can also build a new plane and fly for less than 100. per month , That is way cheeper than anything I have been involved in before.
I got to go before I start to cry
I love this hobby man
ps.
It hurts way less when you crash ,

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.