Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

CA hinge question

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

CA hinge question

Old 07-27-2004, 10:58 AM
Righty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CA hinge question

Before i go out and fly an old plane that was given to me. I want to ask about the hinges. On my plane they look pretty stable but on the rudder the bottom hinge slides out a little when used. And this makes me worry about all the hinges on the plane. Should i go overall the hinges with CA hinges?

Thanks
Old 07-27-2004, 11:09 AM
a65l
My Feedback: (17)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: CA hinge question

YES! but you might find that you can't get the hinges to wick in any more CA, if that's the case you could try and pin all the hinges, that would help but depending on what kind of plane it is it might not be enough.

Andy
Old 07-27-2004, 11:22 AM
Righty

If I use thin CA and it doesn't wick in will it lock up the hinges maing them useless. I have pulled on all the aileron's, elevator and rudder and they are not comming out but i still want to but Thin CA on them.
Old 07-27-2004, 01:05 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm a little unclear as to what's happening here...

Are these CA type hinges, or the two-piece-with-a-pin-holding-them-together type?

If they are CA, you could try adding a few drops of thin CA and see how it holds up (Check them periodically)

If they are the nylon type, don't use CA on them, you'll only get glue in the hinge point.

Something else you could do is to push a straight pin through from the bottom. Insert the pin until it JUST breaks through the hinge, then cut it off with a cutting pliers. This will leave a nub sticking out. Now push the nub under the surface and you're done.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77969.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	157947  
Old 07-27-2004, 02:24 PM
Righty

I think i have two type of hinges on my plane. On the ailerons I just have the flat plastic ones (as seen in the pic below). But on the elevator and rudder it is a flat plastic on with what looks like a door hinge.(with the pin that locks the two together in the middle. (it's hard to make out in the last two pics. You can see in the last pic how the bottom hinge pull right out if i pull on it but no other hinges on the plane pull out. I could do the pin idea on all of the hinges since i know the ends are plastic. But minnflyer's example only shows putting the pin on one side of the hinge. don't i put it on both sides?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mj24536.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	157970   Click image for larger version

Name:	So42593.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	157971   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp34665.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	157972  
Old 07-27-2004, 08:22 PM
MinnFlyer

Ok, let's back up a little...

On the aileron, you have a CA hinge.

On the tail, you have pinned hinges. Do not use thin CA on these. Put a drop of oil on the pin, then pull the hinge out and smear some epoxy on it and reinsert it. Then wipe excess epoxy away with alcohol.

You're right, the pin method I showed above should be done on both sides, but it will only work with CA hinges, the nylon hinges are too thick to push a pin through. What you CAN do (If you want the added insurance) is to drill a hole through it and insert a round toothpick, and glue it in place.
Old 07-27-2004, 08:45 PM
Righty

Thanks MinnFlyer!

Your full of RC info!
Old 07-28-2004, 06:33 AM
MinnFlyer

That's not all I'm full of
Old 03-13-2005, 08:46 PM
rob6894
My Feedback: (3)

Hi Guys I have a kangke cap232 1/4 scale that I just baught used. This plane has ca hinges in it. the guy I baought it from said he never had problems with the ca hinges and did not think I would have any problems. My question is should I pin the ca hinges. If so I was thinking of using the above methode but using t-pins then cutting them qnd pushing them in also should I use ca on the pin. My only concern is that I don't in anyway wont to weakin the hinge where it is bonded in the wing by pushing the pins in.

Thanks,
Rob
Old 03-14-2005, 08:44 AM
MinnFlyer

You can use the above method using a "T" pin. There's no need to CA the pin, and it will NOT weaken the hinge in any way