Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Anyone have this problem? (Trainer Question)

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Anyone have this problem? (Trainer Question)

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2004, 12:50 PM
bobbykokinos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have this problem? (Trainer Question)

I was just curious if anyone has this same problem.

I have a Nexstar that I took lessons on.. I went to a PC9, which crashed, and now I am on a AT6 Texan which is an absolute joy to fly. Now the problem I am having is going back to the Nexstar. Is it normal for it to be hard to fly a trainer after going to something more advanced? The problems I was having was the Nexstar just felt "sloppy". Didn't really want to go where I wanted it to until a few seconds later. Doesn't want to land not matter how slow you bring it in. Floats around WAY too much. And just in general difficult to fly. The AT6 on the other hand goes where I want it to, does take speed to land but once you cut the throttle it comes down.

Just curious if this is just a mental thing or if others have this problem. I'm considering taking the electronics and engine out of the nexstar and put it towards something else, but not sure yet.
Old 08-16-2004, 01:03 PM
DTB
My Feedback: (15)

Default RE: Anyone have this problem? (Trainer Question)

You have just advanced in your flying. The trainer is a slower reacting plane and you have moved on to a more sensative plane that reacts faster. I get that feeling all the time when I train new pilots. Trainers are fun to fly though.

You could move your CG aft some to increase the sensativity of the plane. It may fly better for you that way now that you have advanced onto bigger and faster planes.

I'm sure when you solo'd, you can remember being nervous and scared and now the trainer can be flown with your eyes closed.

Your skills have just advanced.

Good job,
DTB
Old 08-16-2004, 01:37 PM
britbrat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Assuming that you have removed the anti-stall tips, & that you are running flat out full throttle -- cranking up the control throws will help somewhat. More speed helps too -- if you put a .61 in the Nexstar & also crank up the control throws, you won't be bored at all. The .61 will actually fit & the model is big enough to handle it. That combo is very interesting on floats.
Old 08-16-2004, 02:09 PM
cmitch232
My Feedback: (3)

Your Nexstar will definitely not respond like your more advanced airplane. Try flying it with the stabilizer turned off. It should respond a bit quicker. The flight instructors at our field found that the stabilizer was fighting some inputs (especially turns) and the students learned better by not having to fight the stabilizer which wants to level the airplane all the time.

Keep 'em flyin,

cmitch232
flight instuctor
Milan Flyers
Old 08-16-2004, 03:08 PM
gus

Just curious ... was it too big a step?

gus
ORIGINAL: bobbykokinos

I have a Nexstar that I took lessons on.. I went to a PC9, which crashed, and now I am on a AT6 Texan which is an absolute joy to fly.
Old 08-16-2004, 03:11 PM
bobbykokinos

To go to the AT6? No, not at all.. Not too toot my own horn, but I pick up on things quick.. Took me 3 days to solo. Actually, I think the PC9 was more difficult to fly than the Texan.

Now, did I go out and just start flying the Texan? No.. I went up probably 3-4 times with an instructor next to me. Not to take over if I get in trouble, but mainly just to talk me in on the landings since you have to come in hotter.

Alot of people will disagree with me, but I dont think its too big of a step
Old 08-16-2004, 04:40 PM
raideron
My Feedback: (1)

Your trainer will respond like a trainer, Not like your more
advanced 2nd, 3nd+ planes.. But you should still be able to
fly it well.. I still break out my Avistar every now and then,
no where like my other planes.. But she still flyes as she did,
which was good for my first plane..
Old 08-16-2004, 05:52 PM
DTB
My Feedback: (15)

ORIGINAL: cmitch232

Your Nexstar will definitely not respond like your more advanced airplane. Try flying it with the stabilizer turned off. It should respond a bit quicker. The flight instructors at our field found that the stabilizer was fighting some inputs (especially turns) and the students learned better by not having to fight the stabilizer which wants to level the airplane all the time.

Keep 'em flyin,

cmitch232
flight instuctor
Milan Flyers
I am one of the official flight instructors at my field and I always turn off the AFS on the Nexstar. It is better to learn without it. If you are trying to learn without an instructor, then yes, use it. But it does fight you. Some don't realize with the AFS, you have to have the shadow directly under the wing for it to work properly. Just disconnect it and increase the throws, power and move the CG back some, the Nexstar will become a totally different beast.
Old 08-16-2004, 07:06 PM
bobbykokinos

I've never flown the Nexstar with the stabilizer. I tried it on the simulator and absolutely hated it.

I realize the AT6 is a totally different beast than the Nexstar, and I am sure most of it is mental. But, to me, I'd rather fly something more responsive. Not to say the Nexstar is bad, because its a great plane, and I think it served its purpose well.

But, maybe I've just gotten to the point that its time to retire it to someone who really needs it.. I may keep the engine and the electronics and put it into something else..
Old 08-16-2004, 07:23 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

bobby,
What are your goals in RC? If you ever plan on instructing, and if your club doesn't provide trainers (planes), then I'd hold on to it. Besides, once you get further on, you'll find that pulling out a trainer once in a while for slow casual flying can be nice.

Move the CG back, fly it, then move it back some more. Eventually the plane will start to feel unstable; move it forward a 1/4 inch and leave it. The plane will be more responsive, but still be a casual flyer.

If your primary interest is 3D, then sell it.
Dennis-
Old 08-18-2004, 07:51 PM
bboykin

last weekk my instructor told me that flying a faster plane was easier. if this is true then maybe i need to pull radio gear out of nexstar. just received neew plane and motor from richmonrc it is the hornet it has one of the best finishes that i have saw in the reviews it beats the pictures in the last review would like some intake in breaking in the engine on this plane only plan to move batteries and rx from nexstar any help will be appreciated. the engine i got to go with this plane is vmax 46 for $49 bucks thanks
Old 08-19-2004, 11:22 AM
britbrat

Oh well -- too late already. Enjoy your Hornet --- for a while.
Old 08-19-2004, 02:16 PM
Stamper
My Feedback: (9)

Yep, after flying my low wingers, when I try to land my trainer it takes 2-3 attempts to get the darn thing to touch down. It will just keep gliding!!! I can land my Dragon Lady on a dime, but damned if I can now land my trainer on the field