Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

VMAR / VMAX

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

VMAR / VMAX

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 11:05 PM
2slow2matter
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: VMAR / VMAX

That's a good looking airplane, twistr, and nice movie you're watching! You always let your kids watch stuff like that?
Old 10-04-2004, 11:22 PM
Mhale71

i have a vmar plane, and i am glad i baught it before i read all the comments about vmar, the plane is the discovery 40, and has endured many hard landings and been back in the air in 5 minutes without any repair, the only real bad thing about this plane is the fuel tank that came with it, apart from that, its a great performing plane, as well as a very dureable one and a very well constructed one by the looks of something, and i do have to agree with fly-guy, if you havent tried something, dont comment on it, its like writeing a bad review on a plane you never built/flown.
Old 10-04-2004, 11:44 PM
twistr
My Feedback: (4)

In case you didn't notice, his back is to the TV! [sm=bananahead.gif]
Old 10-04-2004, 11:46 PM
twistr

Thanks MHale. They do get mixed reviews and it's nice to hear from ppl who actually own and fly one. This is my second plane from a trainer so I'm looking so forward to flying tomorrow I probably won't sleep a lick tonight!!! [X(]
Old 10-05-2004, 01:28 AM
Fly-guy

you know what Dennis, yo can read[X(] but these reviews are from a very select group of people. I know many people who are happy with VMAR and VMAX. I just think if you have never actually tried this product before you should keep your opinions to yourself, or shutup and buy it and I think you will be very happy with the product, then you can voice your opinion.

Fly-guy
Old 10-05-2004, 02:36 AM
Mhale71

my discovery is practically a glider so you might wanna watch it when you land tomoro, your stick looks very similar to my plane, although yours seems to have less dihidral thus less stable, there is a picture of my plane in my gallery, if only me dad could get a pic of me pileing it into the ground, then you cna see that these vmar planes can take a real b!tching and keep on going.
Old 10-05-2004, 03:17 AM
Semi Retired Aviator

Well, good, bad or otherwise, VMar/VMax are doing well for the owner, a young Vietnamese guy, Nguyen Vimar. His pic appears in a recent FlyRC magazine.

Good luck to him, and I`m sure he`ll address the problems as he finds out about them, thereby making himself more successful, and customers happier.

They`re certainly good to look at, but I suppose buying a model aircraft by the colour is a little like buying wine by the colour of the label like my old mother in law does!
Old 10-05-2004, 03:20 AM
Semi Retired Aviator

Default deleted

I double posted and couldn`t delete it entirely. Sorry to take up the space.
Old 10-05-2004, 06:00 AM
DBCherry

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You know what Fly-Guy, these forums are about posting opinions, and I have as much right to post a negative comment about VMar after reading about a number of disatisfied customers, as you have posting good comments after one or two good experiences.

Those three or four bad comments outweigh your one or two good ones, and why would I risk my money on something that has maybe a 50/50 ratio of good to bad? There's plenty of stuff out there that has a much greater chance of being a good product.
Dennis-
Old 10-05-2004, 06:04 AM
Mhale71

dont buy it if you dont want it then, just as well dont review it or comment on it if you dont have it, this aplies to fly guy as well but ill adress this with him later (fear of o.s engines)
Old 10-05-2004, 06:07 AM
Fly-guy

Thanks Mike,

DB, ok you have your opinion from reading what these others have posted but it is better to form your own opinion, like me, I hated VMAR from what I had read here and was greatly suprised at the product. SO before you bash it try it.

Fly-guy
Old 10-05-2004, 08:12 AM
2slow2matter

I just have to say that I've not flown too many planes yet, but this is the best plane I've ever flown at taking off, flying, and landing. And, I've flown "stable" planes from great planes, tower hobbies, hanger 9, and now VMAR. Lots of people would stay away from these things because they are cheap, but mine is simply not cheaply built. Maybe I got lucky, I'm definitely glad about that! There are tens of thousands of people with memberships to this forum. There are bound to be a handful that have negative experiences with VMAR. I could probably get about the same results posting about one of hanger 9's products, or towers, or so on...
I like to hear the opinions. Now I'm giving mine. If you want a good plane, for a great price, check out www.richmondrc.com
That opinion has been derived from building, testing, and flying the stinger arf. I would definitely recommend it as a second plane to anyone.
Old 10-05-2004, 08:24 AM
Mhale71

welcome to the group vmar make great trainer class planes which are very fun and easy to fly, on top of being incredibly dureable and nice looking
Old 10-05-2004, 12:08 PM
DBCherry

If you'll read my first post you'll see that I only reiterated what I've read here. I also said that I hoped that VMar had improved it's most recent offerings.

My next post was based entirely on what people had been saying (in this thread) about the engines.

I read, and I change my opinions based on what I've read. I no longer feel the same way about the VMar ARF's as I did, say three months ago. I feel more strongly about VMax engines however.

So, while I might try a VMar plane one day based on what I'm reading, it'll be a very long time before I risk hard earned cash on a VMax engine.
Dennis-
Old 10-05-2004, 03:53 PM
Semi Retired Aviator

2slow2matter,

There was certainly a lot of negative input here about the Hangar 9 Corsair ARF with engine bulkheads coming away, and as you suggest, there will be duds from any manufacturer.

I`m still going to buy the H9 Corsair though, and just put some work in strengthening it; shouldn`t have to, particularly with an aircraft that will cost me US$350 here in Japan.

Can anybody tell me what the V MAX engines are a copy of??
Old 10-05-2004, 03:55 PM
twistr

OK, the Vstick flew today! It flew good! I've gotta sand a little on the wing saddle so it will sit level, right now it pulls to the right a tad, but I can trim it out and fly her straight and perfect in the air as she sits. I'm very pleased, handles well and flies good!!!
Old 10-05-2004, 06:38 PM
Mhale71

ORIGINAL: DBCherry

If you'll read my first post you'll see that I only reiterated what I've read here. I also said that I hoped that VMar had improved it's most recent offerings.

My next post was based entirely on what people had been saying (in this thread) about the engines.

I read, and I change my opinions based on what I've read. I no longer feel the same way about the VMar ARF's as I did, say three months ago. I feel more strongly about VMax engines however.

So, while I might try a VMar plane one day based on what I'm reading, it'll be a very long time before I risk hard earned cash on a VMax engine.
Dennis-
fine, although i have been flying vmar planes since the begining of the year, and i have had just about no problems with them, as well as the engines, notice how i am not commenting on them - that is because i dont have one, and il stick to a moral of not commmenting on something i dont have, just as well, i dotn think ill ever get an engine that isnt an OS

also, i agree with japanflyer, every company will make a dud every so often, some more than others, and the h9 corsair is a good example, but, who said you arnet allowed to re enforse the firewall? just as well, im buying a gws a-10 soon, is there a rule to stop me from putting better motors in there?

great to hear about the v-stick by the way
Old 10-05-2004, 07:08 PM
DBCherry

also, i agree with japanflyer, every company will make a dud every so often, some more than others, and the h9 corsair is a good example, but, who said you arnet allowed to re enforse the firewall?
It's easy enough to reinforce a firewall, but with engines there isn't a lot we can do if "something breaks inside", or to prevent the throttle barrel from freezing up.

I've also commented that my opinion has changed somewhat on the VMar planes. Apparently they company has improved the overall quality, which is a dramatic improvement from the significantly "bad" product ratio that we use to read about here a couple years ago. Of course every company can "make a dud", the point was that VMar, use to at least, make many more "duds" than good ones. And apparently that's still true of their engines.

Why shouldn't I express that opinion, especially if it prevents someone from buying a bad product.

You guys are probably also the first to criticize the Mags for not pointing out the deficits apparent in a kit. Maybe the ONE kit that the reveiwer received was a dud. Why should he say bad things about it?
Dennis-
Old 10-05-2004, 10:07 PM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My LHS brought in a whole container of VMARs ... I went through every model they make and even some not sold by Richmond. I have to say again that the planes fly very nice but the built quality (wood quality) leaves a lot to be desired. It is low grade wood for sure. To make things worse my LHS sells them pretty expensive, about a bit more than perhaps Phoenix made ones.

However, in the US the VMARs are priced a lot lower than other Vietnamese/Chinese brands so there is not much to b*tch about. However, the magazines DO NOT state the misgivings of a plane, the US mags never do that. Its the same with US nitro car mags. Lemons are said to be good.

I think VMAR has a place in the market, offering cheap planes to people who are not keen to dish out a few hundred buck for a 40 sized plane. I know the covering really sucks but then at that price you cannot complain much. I for one will not buy a VMAR but that is due to personal preferrence. One thing I have to say ... all the VMAR planes fly well expect for the 3D one, that plane will snap and tip stall. Heck, even the Phantom Jet flies nice! Too bad that plane cannot take a 108 sized 2C engine.

I think soon VMAR will use better quality wood and balsa. Black Horse planes were the same. Time will tell ...
Old 10-05-2004, 11:00 PM
Wing-Ding

I ordered the VMAR RV-4 last year and had to send it back because the wing halves did not line up AT ALL!! The owner's attitude (Richmond RC) was very poor and refused to acknowledge that there was a problem even after I sent it back and after his inspection of it. I would have settled for a replacement ARF kit, if he would only make sure that the kit he sent back included wing halves that aligned properly. He would give me no such assurance. I have not purchased any VMAR product since.

As far as VMAX engines go- my .46 runs great!! Never had a deadstick. Very dependable engine. I've flown it on my Tower Hobbies trainer for for (I'm guessing here) 50-60 flights without ever having a flame out. Plus I like the look of the gold head.
Old 10-06-2004, 09:29 PM
2slow2matter

Another update.
Installed the .52 VMAX engine today, and broke it in tonight. Ran 3 tanks of fuel through it, and it does humm! No problems. Got it adjust out pretty good, still a little rich which is how I'll run it for the next couple of tanks still. I haven't flown the engine yet, that'll come this weekend, but the engine itself sounded good! Can't wait to get a couple of gallons of fuel through it and see what it's really all about. Gonna put a 12 x 5 mas on it and fly to the moon!
Old 10-07-2004, 04:51 AM
Fly-guy

12x5 you crazy mother !@#$% I have an 11.5x6 one mine. Tell us how it goes I need a new prop for more power If that is the standard muffler you said hums put a pitts on it wooooooooooooohooooooooooo baby, now that is humming, best sounding engine Ive ever heard.

Fly-guy
Old 10-07-2004, 05:44 AM
Mhale71

bah, i wont be flying this weekend, i havent got the new fuel tank yet [:@]
Old 10-08-2004, 04:34 AM
4trax

I have A Vmar Apache III Trainer with a .46Vmax..... No problems with plane at all.. it fly's well!
And the engine seems to be good also .. I have bought a .53 for my next plane and i am looking foward to its run too...
Go Vmar!!!
Old 10-08-2004, 04:59 AM
Fly-guy

ORIGINAL: Mhale71

bah, i wont be flying this weekend, i havent got the new fuel tank yet [:@]

Haha, neither will I, it is too windy now and our club was nearly burnt down on Wednesday[X(]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.