Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

1st glow plane for intermediate electric flyer?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

1st glow plane for intermediate electric flyer?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2004, 04:13 PM
e28m5
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st glow plane for intermediate electric flyer?

So I have been flying for about a year, all electric stuff, no glow experience. Currently flying GWS ME109 and Corsair, along with various scratch-built foamy 3d models w/ brushless motor. I am not yet a 3d master, but can hover some plus do alot of the other typical 3d stuff with my home-designed Edge foamy. I want to try a glow model as I have joined my local club. I lean towards scale planes, was thinking of something in a .60 size. Current possibilities include Yellow Aircraft stunt ARF (Edge or Suk), H9 Miss Americe, GP Little Toni, WA Spit. Anyone have any advice here, am I asking for trouble? Is there any reason to think I would have trouble flying one of these planes if I can fly the above-mentioned electrics well??
Old 10-01-2004, 08:06 PM
phread59

Default RE: 1st glow plane for intermediate electric flyer?

Very good question indeed. You have plenty of electric experience. But most of it is smaller stuff. Glow is a different animal than the smaller electric stuff you have been flying. Here is my suggestion. Try to get a few flights on a club trainer. Get a feel for glow powered flight. If you find it as easy as I think you will then here are my suggestions:

4*60, Tiger 60, these are 60 size birds that can take you to where you can try some scale. As for scale in the 60 size, GReat Planes and some others have Lazers and extras in that size. They are supposed to be good fliers. If WWII is more your taste you can hardly do worse than one of the Skyshark kits. They can almost all be flown well on a 61. These would be my reccomendations. The Tiger and 4* have forgiveness built in so you should have no porblem advancing from your electrics.

Good luck with your endevor.

Mark Shuman
Old 10-02-2004, 07:28 AM
cruzomatic
My Feedback: (17)

I flew electric for about 3 years or so. My first glow was a 4*60 w/ TT91FS. Great flying plane. Good luck.
Old 10-02-2004, 07:59 PM
trroscoe
My Feedback: (39)

Listen to Cruz I think that you could fly one of the 60 size planes. I started flying gliders and electrics for about 2 years before I started flying glow. I started with a 60 size trainer that was given to me by a friend. I flew it for about 3 months then ditched it for a 40 size stick. The stick was a much better plane. Then I started flying a 4*60 with a 91 4 stroke on it. This was the plane that I had the most fun with for a long time. When I moved up from there I got a Vectorflight 66" extra 300. This is the nicest flying plane that I have ever flown. I had about 250 flights on it when I lost it because of a bad RX battery. I will be getting another one some day when I finish all of the other projects that I am working on.

Rick
Old 10-03-2004, 07:39 AM
LuckyArmpit

I also have gone that route. Flew electric for 3 years from slow 280 geared foamies to brushless powered sailplanes.
My first glow was a Hangar 9 Arrow with an OS .46 AX. Fantastic plane!!!! It can do all the aerobatics exept for some 3D stuff.
One thing to remember at glow models. They are much more powereful than what you've been flying. And you can crash 'em just as easy as your electrics. I have since been flying a Tiger 2 and Hangar 9 Twist. I still fly my electrics but I like glow for the power and size.....
you try powering a 40 size-ish glow model electric via brushless, theres no way in hell an electric power system will = the cost of an engine ie. $109 for OS .46 / around $400 or more for e-power.

Dave...
Old 10-04-2004, 08:28 AM
e28m5
My Feedback: (2)

Thanks for all the tips, I actually picked up a shoestring (see thread in ARF forum) and people are talking me out of it, too racy for first glow plane. So I may take it back and step back a notch to a stick...

Dave (Lucky) - yup I did look into electrifying a glow plane, no way. You pay alot more and the thing comes out a pound heavier. Technology not there yet IMO.