Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Tower .46 ABC Vs. Super Tigre .51 Ringed??

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.
View Poll Results: A poll
Tower Hobbies .46 Ball Bearing ABC Engine
14.55%
Super Tigre .51 Ringed Engine
85.45%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Tower .46 ABC Vs. Super Tigre .51 Ringed??

Old 11-16-2004, 11:29 AM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tower .46 ABC Vs. Super Tigre .51 Ringed??

I currently have an OS .50 SX ringed engine, and am very please with it, but now I'm looking for an inexpensive .46-.51 engine for a second plane. I know guys at my club that have these engines, and are happy with them. It looks like the Tower .46 has a higher rated HP and a remote needle valve, but the Super Tigre is a ringed engine, which is supposed to last longer and be easier to rebuild than ABC engines. Both of these are about $79 at Tower.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Super Tigre, but I'm looking for advice/opinions.

Here's Tower's links to both engines:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXJA86&P=ML
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXFV72&P=ML

Thanks!
Old 11-16-2004, 01:46 PM
twistr
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Tower .46 ABC Vs. Super Tigre .51 Ringed??

I have two Super Tigre 51 engines. While they can be finicky at times to tune, once tuned nicely, they do a 'super' job. I am pleased with both of mine (bought them both used too and still going strong)
Old 11-16-2004, 02:26 PM
Fastsky

I wouldn't get hung up on the ringed engine lasting longer. My original OS FX engines are going on 6 years and still run like new. Personally as an instructor I have found that Thunder Tiger Pro engines are about the best value out there. OS engines are user friendly and have more power but they also cost about $20.00 more. Maybe its because of our altitude at our field but for me, Super Tiger engines are too miserable to try to get to run right. I bought a Tower 75 engine to try it. It runs well with tons of power and I am very happy with it. A lot of the TH 46 engines don't want to stop when you close the throttle, possibly due to an air leak somewhere. TH has been good at replacing the engine if you get one of these but if this would bother you then I would look at the TT engines. If the extra $20.00 isn't an issue then I would get an OS 46AX. Its the newer version of the FX and its a terrific all around engine! [8D]
Old 11-16-2004, 05:36 PM
britbrat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Fastsky -- except that in my experience the TT Pro matches the FX/AX for power.
Old 11-16-2004, 05:57 PM
ICE_MAN

Go with the ST you won't be sorry... If u have any ?'s just ask me and ill get back to u ASAP.
Old 11-17-2004, 04:49 PM
Dukester
My Feedback: (31)

The ST .51 is a bored out 46 case. Its light and produces excellent power. However, its a little bit of a bear to tune correctly and takes patience to get broken in and tuned correctly. I found that the I needed to lean the low needle out more than I woudl have expected to get best idle and transition. Also follow the tips on the Super Tigre manufacturer's forum for carb tweaks. Once properly tuned this was a beast and ran very very well.

Duke
Old 11-17-2004, 09:20 PM
phread59

As far as I am concerned this is a no brainer. Go with the ST. You will like it. I have a 45GS. It has worked perfectly for me. Never gave me any trouble at all. Decent engine for sure.

Mark Shuman
Old 11-18-2004, 12:24 AM
capflyer4150

I've never owned a ST 51 but if it runs at all I'd vote for it over the Th 46
Old 11-18-2004, 07:11 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

I am exactly 180 degrees from Capflyer4150. I have a TH46, and it has TONS of power. The penalty you pay is that it's BIG and it's HEAVY. However, it is a running fool. Can't say about a TT as I have never owned one.
Old 11-19-2004, 09:00 AM
Fastsky

Right on JP! Most of the plane designs are slightly tail heavy and the heavier engine just means that you don't need to add as much dead weight to balance.
Old 11-28-2004, 11:38 PM
ELTIGRE

either will do the job .ABC has a slight power advantage. the ST ring should be easier to start and ringed motors are more tolerant than ABC of dirt. it may be awash due to the ST higher displacement. The Thundertiger would also be an excellent low priced engine that has great power and handles well.
Old 11-29-2004, 06:06 AM
RVator
My Feedback: (1)

Go with the ST. Tower engines are a crap shoot. Some people get good ones and like them others hate them. I have seen 4,46's at the field that were junk. They had so many airleaks they would always end up lean and die. When they run they make a lot of power but who cares if its not dependable. You don't hear of those problems from ST, TT, or Magnums.
Old 11-29-2004, 09:51 AM
jbloom

I have just broke in and flown my Super Tigre .51. I love it! It's still running rich for a few flights, but will still pull my Thrush vertical right off the runway. I fly around most of the time at 1/3rd or 1/2 throttle. When I open it up, it respondes quickly and smoothly. It's easy to start and idles at 2400rpm. I fly it with a 10X8 APC prop. I really like it.
Old 11-29-2004, 03:13 PM
2slow2matter
My Feedback: (1)

You need more prop on that ST .51. That engine will turn an 11 X 8 with ease. You might over-wind the engine if you're not careful!!!
Old 11-30-2004, 02:39 PM
flyguy60

Does anyone voting here actually own a TH .46? I have 3 of them and also 2 TH .75s. They scream, are cheap and once they are set they run fine.

I think there is much bias here. Don't people understand that all these engines are built to be cheap!! There's a reason for that. People don't like to spend money on them, so you get what you pay for.

My TH engines scream like a banshee.... I also own OS, Saito, Magnum and ST engines. Saito's are the best, but they are expensive.

If you can't get an engine to run right, there's a warranty. If you still can't get an engine to run right, go with electric.
Old 11-30-2004, 03:48 PM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

Well, I doubt *everyone* voting owns a TH .46, but several of the guys that posted replies have said they own one or several. I was hoping to get feedback from owners of each engine, and maybe some feedback from some that owned both engines. I was leaning towards the ST .51 ringed engine simply because I've only owned ringed engines so far (two OS .50 SX engines), but the TH .46's higher power spec has me interested as well. I didn't mean to pose the question in a biassed manner, if I came across that way. I did expect to hear from people who would be biassed one way or the other, and hoped to hear some good reasons or facts for their choices. Obviously post like yours, "I own 3 TH .46's and am happy with them", mean more to me than posts like, "TH stuff sucks, go with Super Tigre"...

I still haven't decided which engine to get for my second nitro plane, but in the meantime, I am actually building an electric plane!
Old 11-30-2004, 09:35 PM
flyguy60

Your question was not at all biased... I don't think there are any bad questions, only bad answers.

Just from my experience on the RCU forums, I see a lot of whining when it comes to engines. This makes sense due to the many issues that a combustion engine can have. I simply want people to get fair information...

I personally don't own a ST .51 but I'm sure they are great engines. Being ringed, it should last longer than an ABC. But the ABC engines will perform better from what I have experienced.

One thing that I would tell you is that from a support standpoint, Tower Hobbies will give you a 4 year warranty if you are a member (may be worth it to you, may not).

That said, I didn't say that I've never had problems with TH engines because I have. However, if you send it back they will take care of you. Other than that, it's personal preference...

I have a few electrics myself and enjoy them very much.

Hope this is helpful!
Old 12-04-2004, 08:39 PM
phread59

I will admit to not owning a TH engine. However I have owned ST engines. Yes a TH makes lots of power. But from what I have seen and read it does so at high rpm's. I personally do not like that type of engine. The ST will swing a bigger prop with more authority at lower PRM's. That is the reason for my reply. I also have sen many complaints on this engine here. Many can be fixed with proper sealing and tweaking. But You should not have to do that with any engine. The St will not do this. As several other poster's have said the Th is a crap shoot. With the prices the way they are I cannot see the value in the Th engines.

Mark Shuman
Old 12-04-2004, 10:03 PM
ICE_MAN

The St Is your 4 stroke type workhorse.. The TH is a Cr 125 dirtbike engine... The way I fly, I like big props and lower revs... You may or may not. I just know the ST is the best running engine I've ever had!
Old 12-05-2004, 12:27 PM
flyguy60

All I have to say in response is that I've run over 7 gallons of fuel through my .46 TH and can wax anyone with an equivalent engine at my field.

I also have a full 4 year warranty to replace any defective part, which is better than you'll get anywhere!

FYI: TH engines are basically Supertigres manufactured from the old ST casts.

Yes, there have been issues with any engine. O.S. has even been labeled as "junk" on this forum.

Does anyone have both that they could test? I would like to see some apples to apples benchmarking of some of these engines from RCU members.

ICE_MAN ....... Two strokes are not like four strokes or anything like them. If you want lower revs, use a bigger prop.

c
Old 12-05-2004, 01:13 PM
ICE_MAN

Fly- Guy,
I agree 2strokes are not like 4 strokes.. I own both 2 and four strokes.. What I was sayin' is the ST will NOT turn as high rpm's however both engines with 12x6's the ST WILL turn higher r's than the Th, BUT both engines with a speed type prop (10x6, 10x7) The TH will turn Higher revs.. So the ST is more LIKE a 4s because it's more of a torq type engine suited for a warbird or similar where The TH is more suited to a Q-500 racer..

BTW my trainer w/ ST51 and 11x6 goes something like 66.4 MPH(i think that was what the radar gun said[&:])... Wanna race?
Old 12-05-2004, 01:27 PM
twistr
My Feedback: (4)

Iceman: I have a ST51 on a VMAR V-stick. The plane is debateable I know, but even though the covering is falling apart etc.. I love this plane. It's my "speed demon". Man that thing screams downwind with a 11X6 MAS. I haven't had it shot with a radar gun, but we guestimate it to be going around 70 MPH.

Wanna race?
Old 12-05-2004, 01:57 PM
ICE_MAN

twistr.. My field our yours? I'll bet this trainer will hit 70 downwind..Lol
Old 12-05-2004, 03:33 PM
britbrat

flyguy60, perhaps some TH engines are "old SuperTigres", but the TH .46 is really a GMS .47 (don't be fooled by the .46/.47 thing) & not a ST. They are manufactured by RJL in China (along with MECOA & who knows what else). K&B is also owned by RJL but still made in the USA.
Old 12-05-2004, 08:26 PM
phread59

Bitbrat is correct. The TH engines are GMS engines in disguise.

Mark Shuman

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.