Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

receiver question?

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

receiver question?

Old 12-12-2004, 02:28 AM
flyfree69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default receiver question?

i crashed my super sportster hard nose in and totaled the plane, the question is should i send the receiver in to have it checked? everything works ok and i want to put the electronics in my funtana. can i change the receiver crystal from ch-23 to ch-32 ? it's a futaba receiver thanks Larry
Old 12-12-2004, 03:21 AM
ho2zoo
My Feedback: (5)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: receiver question?

Yes, you should send it in to have it checked. It's not worth risking your new plane. I am not sure if you can change from channel 23 to 32. Futaba receivers are either low or high band and I don't recall where the cut-off is. It's something like 1 to 30 is low band and 31 to 60 is high band.
Old 12-12-2004, 05:45 AM
cwrr5
My Feedback: (32)

Yes, send it in for a check - Its worth it! Although you check it on the ground, and it works, there may be some internal damage such as a crack on the pc board or in a component that is not detectable except under flight conditions. Don't risk your plane, send in the receiver.

Also, YES you can change from 23 to 32, the cutoff is channel 34(11-34 is LOW, 35-60 is HIGH).

Old 12-12-2004, 09:33 AM
phread59

Yes by all means have it checked. And yes the chrystal swap is fine.

Mark Shuman
Old 12-12-2004, 10:00 AM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

After a crash, I just open the case and check the board inside, and do a range check. There's not much that Futaba techs can do to find a problem that this method won't find. Depending on what RX you have, it may not even be worth it to send it in for service. You can buy a rebadged Futaba 7 channel RX from Hobbico, with a crystal, for $50. I'd guess Futaba techs would charge you at least $30-$50 just to look at your RX.

[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXLN98**&P=7]Hobbico 7 channel RX w/xtal[/link]
Old 12-12-2004, 10:06 AM
flyfree69

thanks guys, i think i'll just send it in to have it looked at to be sure. i don't need to crash any more plane's right now. Larry
Old 12-12-2004, 10:36 AM
tucker1865
My Feedback: (6)

PKH...How do you do a range check. Dave
Old 12-12-2004, 11:01 AM
-pkh-

The manual for your TX should tell you how the manufacturer recommends doing the range check. Futaba says to leave the antenna collapsed, and you should be able to get at least 100ft before you no longer have control. With your plane on the ground (with the engine off) and the RX/TX on, just go the required distance and wiggle all of the control surfaces that you can see from there! Even better, is to have someone next to the plane watch while you do it. A second test is to do the same thing with the engine running, and you should get no more than a 10% reduction in range from the engine-off test.

Page 17 of my Futaba 9C manual has the details...
[link=http://www.futaba-rc.com/manuals/9c-manual-v1_2.pdf]Futaba 9C Manual[/link]
Old 12-12-2004, 11:47 AM
discusmike

Its probalbly cheaper to get a new rx,and less hassle.