Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Easy Beginner plane

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Easy Beginner plane

Old 12-16-2004, 02:10 AM
Nooflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Easy Beginner plane

Hi I was wondering what type of airplane would be esay to make from scratch using balsa wood and would take less than 10 hours to assembly?
I just bought some balsa and decided to make an airplane. I'm also buying an electric airplane from raiden tech which is made of foam. I already know that learning may cause many crashes. So by the time I'm done with my balsa plane then i'll have much more experience then where I'm at right now.

P.s. if you can find a plan nearby can you please send it to me asap? thanks for everything
Old 12-16-2004, 04:56 AM
a65l
My Feedback: (17)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Easy Beginner plane

Scratch build in ten hours..... from balsa........ only if you consider assembling an ARF scratchbuilding! Unless you want to make a flat wing 3d plane like the ones the folks cut out from blue foam...

Seriously, you'll spend more than ten hours designing a plane.....

Andy
Old 12-16-2004, 08:45 AM
Crashem

Sounds like you should skip the balsa and look at SPADS
Old 12-16-2004, 09:03 AM
Fastsky

Crashem is right. Even a lot of ARFs (almost ready to fly) take more than the 10 hours that they say on the box to get together and ready to take to the field. The instructions included are usually very minimal as well because it is assumed that you have learned the basics from building a full trainer kit. If you want free plans, I suggest you check out the Spad site and click on trainers. The plans are free, just download them. I have included the web address for you below.
http://www.spadtothebone.com/freeplans.htm[8D]
Old 01-27-2005, 01:06 AM
ELTIGRE

you guys ever hear of a Honker? old design by thornburg. uses jedesky wing/w/ sheet balsa &.049 engine. 2-3 ch. RCM magazine.has plans still.simple. very rugged.
Old 01-27-2005, 08:46 AM
Fastsky

Even if I heard of it I woudn't be interested. I had a Shoestring with a 55" wingspan. After flying that I came to the conclusion that I was not happy trying to keep track of the plane. The wingspan was just too small for my eyesight/style of flying. The Shoestyring is gone now so my smallest plane now has a 60" wing. [8D]
Old 01-27-2005, 02:15 PM
SkiTaos

The plane that I started out on was the Airmadillo Kombat 60 Trainer. I am still flying it, and having a blast!! At he beginning I had several crashes which is expected as a beginner. All I had to do was bend back my fusalage which is made of aluminum.

Airmadillos are very durable but a bit on the heavy side.

Airmadillo.com is the place to go!! Your looking at about $85 for the kit plus your engine and radio.

The initial cost in this hobby can get pricy but it is well worth it! I am having a blast!!

building time would be less than ten hours!!

Mike
Old 01-29-2005, 07:49 PM
ELTIGRE

well, the guy making the post was apparently intrested in a quick built RUGGED trainer type & the Honker(fairly popular at the time -70's) fits the bill . you can always enlarge the design to your liking etc. nothing says your must build exactly like plans & in fact they had aileron option & throttle certainly with todays radios would fit.something similar along those liunes would be a quick build -thats all.
Old 01-30-2005, 12:33 PM
former spad

Trying to build a balsa plane from scratch and (I assume) teach yourself to fly is almost impossible. If you remain in this hobby for any length of time, it will be a lot more expensive and time consuming than buying balsa and 10 hours. I taught myself to fly twenty years ago with a beginner glider with Cox .049 engine, two channel radio. The plane was so slow and stable in the air that you could change stick directions to correct control errors when needed without crashing. I also flew in a field covered with 5 foot high grass, so I landed on top of the grass, and the plane never hit the ground. I would also suggest buying a simple balsa kit for rubber band power to practice building, even if it never flies. Most important, get to a local flying field and get help, that will save much time and money.
Old 01-30-2005, 11:59 PM
Tman
My Feedback: (3)

Scratch building a plane is commendable. Flying it can be another experience and frustrating if you are trying to learn by yourself. Do yourself a favor, join a local club. if they have a plane they use for training newbies they will put you on a buddy cord and then you will appreciate the importance of belonging to a club and learning to fly properly.
Since you would like to scratch build you may want to start with a kit as your first experience and this can be your trainer. The SIG Kadet is one that comes to mind but there are many others. Once you have this experience behind you, if you still want to scratch build, go to it. The skies the limit when it comes to scratch building.