Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

i'm new, got some questions?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

i'm new, got some questions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2002, 04:45 PM
tmproff
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i'm new, got some questions?

If you can afford a 6ch, get it.....it'll actually save you money in the long run (that is if you dont quit abruptly). Mike is right about not using it's functionality in your first plane. It is nice to get used to a controller and keep it for a couple of planes.
Old 08-29-2002, 11:44 PM
thejetgod
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default DFW Area Clubs

AirCommander,

You haven't seemed to have gotten any leads on clubs around Dallas-Ft. Worth. Check out this link. Its for the North Dallas R/C Club. I believe it is the largest club around the DFW area. I think they fly around Frisco.

Also, check out Arlington. There is a flying field out east/northeast of River Legacy Park. It's on Hwy 157, just north of Green Oaks Blvd. on the west side of the hwy.

Mike's Hobbies in Farmers Branch was always THE BEST hobby shop to do some "digging around" at. They had a great selection of radios, planes, etc., and were great to talk with to get advice and direction. (By now you can tell I used to live in Dallas).
Old 08-30-2002, 12:57 AM
TerrellFlyer

Hi AirCommander,
don't know what part of DFW you're in, Mike's hobby shop,at Farmers Branch, Mickey's A-1 at Mesquite,either of this shops can give you at least a dozen or more clubs to fly at,most of the clubs have trainer planes with buddy box and instructor,usually the first lesson is free ,then you must join the club and ama . Personally I wouldn't spend a penny until finding a good club and trying out there equiment and members.I fly at Merco in mesquite,Rockwall S.F.in Rockwall,also Greenville Flyers in Greenville,if I can be of any service, my email. [email protected] I'm also an instructor,so bet we can get you fixed up. Sat.am is trainer day at the Rockwall club,
Have a goodun,John
Old 08-30-2002, 04:15 AM
crossed thumbs-delete

AirCommander
Pleasetake Hanger Rats advise. All of it! If you try on your own you will not even get the plane off the ground before you will be on serious trouble. Also, buy a radio that will serve your needs in the future. I recomend a 6 channel FM transmitter. Buy what people in a club uses. Also go to modelaircraft.org.on the web.

Good Luck.

P.S. Remember their are two types of aircraft. Those that have crashed and those that are going to crash.
Old 08-30-2002, 05:28 AM
Hanger Rat

One last piece of advice. You don't have a buddy cord so you and the instructor will have to pass the transmitter to each other. He will be standing next to you with a worried look on his face wondering how you got this far in life not knowing your left from your right. Here is the important advice, it may save you much money. If (when) the instructor says give it to me he means NOW this second. Just do it! Or if he takes the tx out of your hand do not resist. Give it to him it probably means you are heading into a difficult situation and seconds count. With a buddy cord the instructor always has control and can allow you to make and learn from mistakes. All this advice is overwhelming but if you are of average intelligence you will catch on quickly. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to get the hang of it and in a couple of weeks you will be here with us scaring other newbies. Always remember Murphy's law......If anything can go wrong, it will
go wrong.
(which explains why jelly bread always falls jelly side down.)
Good luck.
Old 08-30-2002, 03:56 PM
AirCommander

thanks -- you guys are great,

TerrellFlyer and thejetgod, i'm in grand prairie, btw arlington and dallas. i happened to drove by a park labled as rc flying field by accident about last year, if i can remember correctly--it's about 15mins from where i live. i think frisco is somewhere north of denton...i think it would take me at least an hour and half to get there on good traffic. i'll probably just stop by the one near my place and check them out.

about the radio, currently i saw some listing for a futaba 6c cost simialar witht a futaba 7c computer...would there be any great advantages on the 7c over the 6c. should i go a head and get the 7c since i can get them at simillar cost.

cheers.
Old 08-30-2002, 04:01 PM
AirCommander

Originally posted by Hanger Rat
One last piece of advice. You don't have a buddy cord so you and the instructor will have to pass the transmitter to each other. He will be standing next to you with a worried look on his face wondering how you got this far in life not knowing your left from your right. Here is the important advice, it may save you much money. If (when) the instructor says give it to me he means NOW this second. Just do it! Or if he takes the tx out of your hand do not resist. Give it to him it probably means you are heading into a difficult situation and seconds count.
Good luck.
hahha i certainly will freak-out and go crazy and not knowing what to do to stablize the plane on my "first-touch"...
Old 08-30-2002, 04:35 PM
tmproff
My Feedback: (5)

Danny,

It really sounds like you are planning this correctly. If you go by that field and get them to help, you'll be in good hands.....If you get the Futaba 6c or 7c, they both will have the option to use a buddy cord.
Old 08-30-2002, 05:47 PM
larryflew
My Feedback: (13)

Default 2 cents from self taught

Just to add my 2 cents worth being I had to be self taught a zillion years ago. IMO anyone can fly, some can even take off and an exceptional few can even land on thier own. MUCH cheaper to have someone help you out if you can or keep the trash bags handy. You do become a very good builder
Old 08-30-2002, 09:32 PM
TerrellFlyer

at this stage of flying I would go with the 6 ch if it cost less,but I would still get to a club before spending any money, some clubs use a certain brand over another brand,if you go with Futaba and the members are flying Airtronics then there is a communication problem as well as a buddy box problem,also after soloing you will probably start looking at computor radios and if you have to much invested in your first radio,may take a beating trying to sell it.
Have a goodun,John.
Old 08-31-2002, 12:39 PM
rc3ddriscoll
My Feedback: (3)

My 2 cents - I'm a new pilot and should have been smarter about my initial purchases.

I bought a Hitec Focus 4. Nice, basic radio. I soloed after 8 tanks of fuel on a Sturdy Birdy II. Now, after about 100 flights, I realize that for just a little more money in the beginning, I could have a radio that has multiple model memory, ATV, exp., dual rates etc... I should have just purchased the Futuaba 6XAS in the beginning...

On flying, I would never try flying alone in the beginning, especially with gas planes. I found that it's like riding a bike. The first several dozen times you spiral towards the ground, only to have your 'buddy box' instructor save you, you'll be glad you did things correctly. Then, it just clicks... I'll tell you what helped me enormously is flourescent orange tape on the leading edges of the wings, rainbow patterns on the tops of the wings and shapes on the bottom of the wing. These are all good for orientation of the model - atleast they were for my untrained eyes. You'll appreciate the leading edge tape at dusk transitioning from sky to trees...

It's very addicting. I hope you enjoy flying as much as I do. Good Luck!

-Dan
Old 08-31-2002, 05:55 PM
lslewis
My Feedback: (2)

I just made my first flight. Scary even with an instructor. Download a flight simulator and practice, practice and then do it some more. You can get a free simulator here:

http://n.ethz.ch/student/mmoeller/fms/index_e.html

Good Luck
Old 08-31-2002, 09:13 PM
AirCommander

thanks for the link to the sim download.