Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Gift to instructor?

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Gift to instructor?

Old 03-11-2005, 05:16 AM
Dauntae

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Gift to instructor?

I've been offered things a few times but the most I accepted was a free drink, Actually when one of my students solo's I usually give them a new prop to as a gift with a "You may be needing this" as a joke and he is usually the one getting the ribbing from the rest of the guys. (The ones that can take the joking) I usually tell them if they want to do something for the help I gave them just help the next new guy get his wings, We have a very tight group and most of the new members are invited to our homes for building or to help them with a new kit they are working on.

Dauntae
Old 03-11-2005, 08:47 AM
britbrat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

agexpert -- you have the best solution -- become an instructor yourself. Your old instructors will feel gratified & everyone wins. Great answer.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:35 AM
ifixairplanes
My Feedback: (9)

One guy bought me a brand new 46 fx when mine grenaded a rear crank bearing.
I just enjoy making great frineds in the RC hobby. 2 of 3 guys I normally fly with I taught to fly. If I never taught them, I wouldn't have any flying buddies!!

Sean
Old 03-11-2005, 04:10 PM
jcflysrc
My Feedback: (50)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Regardless of all the polically correct and selfless answers you are getting. Providing a gift shows that you respect and appreciate what was done for you it also shows you have some class
Accepting a gift graciously shows class, AND it makes the giving experience for the giver more fullfilling when they see that it is appreciated.

A gift is just that...a gift. You should accept it in the nature it is given.

Like salvation!

Jim C.
Old 03-12-2005, 07:57 AM
Downtrodden

So no one has heard of an instructor that charges a fee? Ever? Anywhere?
Old 03-12-2005, 08:12 AM
zetor
My Feedback: (2)

How about a bottle of excedrin on the first day.
Old 03-12-2005, 01:17 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: XSDEVOTEE

So no one has heard of an instructor that charges a fee? Ever? Anywhere?
Now nobody said that. I know of a lot of people that do charge. I know of 2 owners of LHS that charge for instruction. There is a lot of difference in types of instructors when they charge. The instructor will have a set time to meet you there. You have to have your plane out, fueled and ready to fly when he gets there. And you get a set number of lessons.

I don't need to make a living off of this hobby, so there is no need for me to charge.

Old 03-12-2005, 04:24 PM
Downtrodden

Any idea how much he charges and what do you get for that amount? Thanks.
Old 03-12-2005, 05:25 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I sure don't remember. I've heard him talking about it, but never really paid much attention to what he charges.
Old 03-12-2005, 08:18 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Speaking of instructors that charge: I walked in on a very sticky situation at a field I was visiting when I offered some assistance to some new folks trying to get their trainer ready to fly. After it was ready they ask if I would test it for them. LUCKY ME ! I ask a club member what the club policy was for outsiders helping new people. The club member I ask informed me that he did most of the instruction and he got paid for it. I made the comment that I don't charge but if he was tied up and didn't mind I could help the new folks this time and then he could take over when he had time and I wasn't there. He agreed and the flights (5) went fine. Later I heard he got $15 an hr. your plane etc. and what ever happens happens. I have been to a lot of fields around the counrty and I have seen others that charge but most of the time the club instructors don't. If I take on a student and we get to solo and he wants to give me something I say that would be fine but I would rather you teach 5 new students. I have NO idea how many students (I) have taught this way.
Do what feels right to you!!!! Redhead
Old 03-13-2005, 02:25 AM
ifixairplanes

I don't see a need to charge. I am pretty sure all AMA coverage is void when you charge a person to teach them. Just come fly with me, thats all I want!

Sean
Old 03-14-2005, 09:50 AM
jessekib

I am giving my instructor my first wrecked plane for the help he is giving me, he has a son that is 11 yrs old and he will fix it up for him. I know its gonna give him a headache putting it back together, but hey, its a good gesture, right?[sm=confused.gif] Anyway i haven't started training yet but we went to a fly in this weekend and im pumped, ready to get in the air[sm=lol.gif]. anyway thats my two cents.

Oh, and good luck XSDEVOTEE!