Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Dirty

Old 03-13-2005, 08:34 PM
NJAIRSTRIKE
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dirty

Hey Guys,

I went out today for the 1st time with an instructor. Had a good time but I'm going to need a few more lessons before i can solo. The plane was extremely dirty. Is there something I can get that I can add to my mufler to make it point somewhere else?The instructor told me to move the mufler facing down cause it was facing up and he also mentioned a 8 or like a 12 inch long thing you put on the mufler and it wont get as dirty as it would without it. I forgot the name of it do you guys know what I can use?
Old 03-13-2005, 08:38 PM
pauluk2w
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: Dirty

you need to get a deflector they are not expensive look
www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0095P?FVSEARCH=deflector&FVPROFIL=++
Old 03-13-2005, 08:42 PM
Pilot Chad
My Feedback: (4)

Yes, Get a deflector, But in doing so make sure you get one long enough to make it where it will go past the fuse.
Old 03-13-2005, 09:30 PM
LuckyArmpit

On some engines, you can loosen the back part of the muffler and turn it so the output is pointing away from the plane. I've used deflectors before but didn't like the rpm drop. You could also go with a tuned pipe on the engine. However, you will probably have
to re-tune your engine to use it. These are the longish type mufflers with a long skinny tube.

Dave...
Old 03-13-2005, 10:16 PM
NJAIRSTRIKE
My Feedback: (2)

Thank you guys very much for your input, I will go ahead and so what lucky armpit told me to do because on the OS .46 AX you can turn the muffler around so its pointing down and if that doesent work I will try a deflecter. I know i cant keep it 100 percent clean but the less I have to clean the better. Thanks again.
Old 03-13-2005, 10:22 PM
Pilot Chad

I flew mine today with a deflector by the way and i honestly could tell no difference, But then again we were just doing some aerobatics that got fuel everywhere. I guess it is just how you position it
Old 03-14-2005, 08:48 AM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dirty planes is part of the game. This is why you take cleaning stuff to the field with you. You'll get used to it.
Old 03-14-2005, 10:09 AM
BuzzBomber

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Along the same lines, has anyone used the black automotive fuel tubing for an exhaust deflector? I have a Saito .30 in an installation where the exhuast outlet doesn't quite clear the cowling cutout, and the commercial deflectors are too large in diameter to fit on the outlet, so I thought perhaps a short piece of black tubing zip-tied on the muffler outlet might work......