Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Question: Flight time

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Question: Flight time

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 01:27 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Question: Flight time

Delighted that you considering a more sensible route with some mentoring. You won,t regret it and welcome aboard. I think maybe using gloves is not a good idea while needling. In cold Wx I always remove one glove to do the needling. You need that sense of feel or things can happen. Your engine has a remote needle and its much further aft than a non remote type, it can be done quite safely as long as a healthy respect is maintained.

Just a thought on the Wrights actually they had a strong mentor by the name of Chanute . If you think about it they had six years to teach themselves and they crashed a lot and with every version of their machines.

John
Old 04-20-2005, 01:39 AM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Double post
Old 04-20-2005, 08:23 AM
britbrat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

--- and just to add to John's comments -- the Wrights didn't have a machine that could fly away by itself & kill some unsuspecting individual many miles away (or more likely in the case of Barwelle's model, some nearby unsuspecting individual -- such as himself).

Back to the flight-time issue. A very general rule of thumb (with due deference to Campy for stealing his line) is 1 min/oz for a .60 size engine, 1 1/2 min/oz for a BB .46 size engine & 2 min/oz for a .40 size bushing engine -- this is from start-up & includes taxiing & landing. This will vary with engine manufacturers, altitude, weather conditions & nitro content in the fuel -- high-output engines, low altitude, cool weather & more nitro = less time.
Old 04-20-2005, 08:54 AM
2slow2matter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Wrights might not have had an instructor, but basically every full scale pilot since them has. Are you the first RC pilot? If so, then you need to go at it alone (actually, you have to). However, if you're the first, then my wife would really like to know what I've been doing with my time lately . Since you're not the first, and there are plenty of people willing to teach you, then do what EVERY OTHER FULL SCALE PILOT must do--get help. Im not a full scale pilot. I'd like to be, but I don't have time right now in my life for lessons--but someday I will, and I'll get help--just like I did for my RC stuff. Granted, I was a pretty fast learner, and didn't spend much time on the box, but I spent a lot of time around good pilots that helped me tremendously in the beginning--and still help me from time to time to this day.
Old 04-22-2005, 12:15 PM
Barwelle

Im about ready to break it in. I actually tried today. yesterday i got a glow-driver that takes a D-battery. when i got home, i realized that i dont have any D-batteries [:@]. how dumb was that!! I rigged it up with a C-battery, with a little clip to fill the space in. I just put it on my spare glow plug to make sure it worked, and it glowed, so I went and tried it. Flipped it over with a chicken stick. but i could hear this little gurgling noise when I primed it, and when I flipped it.. I thought it was just the carb mixing the fuel with the air. then it clicked (my brain clicked, of course, not the motor)... there was a hole in the fuel line right before the carb!!!! [:@] put another line in, and within 10 minutes, i was ready to go. Flipped it... Flipped it... It fired in little bursts for no longer than 1/2 a second, 4 times, i think. Then it wouldn't go. for.. 25 minutes about, I kept trying, but the C-batt was kinda old so it was pretty much dead by now, and I couldnt find another [:@]. Since I live 30 minutes from the nearest store, and the fact that im only 15y/o [:@], I will have to wait for another day to try it out again, with a D-batt, of course. I cant wait!!!! ugh. lots of [:@] 's in there, eh? heheheh.
Old 04-22-2005, 12:34 PM
Crashem

Barwelle,

I've read the whole thread are you still going to try it alone if so good luck I hope the amount of damage you do doesn't prevent you from actually learning to fly. It is a lot of fun once you know how
Old 04-22-2005, 01:09 PM
CGRetired

Barwelle: Yup, you're right about the Wright Brothers, however, they did not have someone before them with the benefit of experience to give them some advice on how things could be done better.

No problem with what you want to do except for flying alone or without an instructor for at least the first few flights. Another thought is to get a computer flight simulator and fly on that for a while. Easier on the wallet crashing a virtual trainer than the real thing.

On the real thing, though, just watch those fingers!!

Old 04-23-2005, 10:37 PM
Barwelle

Crashem: I will go to the club's field for the first few flights. My only worry about how much fun it is is that it could be pretty hard on the bank account of a 15 y/o!!

dicksoucy: yesterday i did a search at download.com. I found this little program called RC-AirSim (www.fabricated-reality.com) graphics arent all that great, but It will count toward learning how to fly atleast a little. If i were still trying it on my own, I'd go out and buy Realflight Simulator or somethin similar but I will ask for someone to go on the buddybox with me.
Old 04-24-2005, 07:28 AM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

If i were still trying it on my own, I'd go out and buy Realflight Simulator or somethin similar but I will ask for someone to go on the buddybox with me.
Barwell,
Trust me, you won't regret that decision. I'm guessing that the first time you take the sticks, you'll realize that too.

This hobby is about as much fun as you can have legally, and I think you're on the right path.

Good luck, and above all have fun.
Dennis-
Old 04-26-2005, 10:06 PM
Barwelle

Hehe, thanks all for the advice and encouragement

ORIGINAL: DBCherry

This hobby is about as much fun as you can have legally, and I think you're on the right path.

Good luck, and above all have fun.
Dennis-
Are you saying there is more fun to be had illegally? muahahahahaha!! (I hope there are no cops, FBI or CSIS agents, or lawyers reading this... heh, heh!)