Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

I'm in a pickle! please help me dicide!

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

I'm in a pickle! please help me dicide!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 05:55 PM
zachj1212

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm in a pickle! please help me dicide!

I have the aerobird challenger, and i can fly it very well. I have been looking into my second plane, and i really need some advise. I am debating beetween 5 different airplanes. I have narrowed it down a little, but i am going to give you the whole list. Please give me your feedback!

The radio i am getting is the jr 6102.

1. wattage cessna 182- This plane is my dream plane. It has a plastic fuse, but balsa wing and tail. Again, this plane would be my prized posetion, and i would love it like a pet! I am against getting it for my second plane, becase i want more experience befor i fly my dream plane. It will probably be my 3rd plane. I am going to be flying one on a trainer cord soon.

http://www.globalhobby.com/public/wa...ery/128393.asp

Conclusion-proboly not 2nd plane, but maybe 3rd.

2. Ultrafly cessna
I think that this would be a good plane for me. It is made of foam. I am holding back, because WHEN ( ) i get the wattage 182, i would have 2 cessnas! Rather have a variety!

http://www.ultraflymodel.com/airplanes/ufla1000.html

Conclusion-maybe, but i would want a variety of planes, not 2 cessnas.

3. wattage corsir-This corsair is made for beginers. 3ch. It is plastic, and spare parts can be ordered. My instructor/friend is saying that i should get this plane. I would get the ARF version for 36 smackaroes.

http://www.globalhobby.com/public/wa...ery/128316.asp

conclusion- defiantly a possibility

4-hobby lobby stinson voyager-

This is a foam plane. 4ch. I am 75% convinced on this plane, and i think it would be a good transition to the cessna from wattage.

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/stinson.htm

conclusion-probably

Please give me your feedback. I appreciate it![8D][8D][8D]

thank you!
Old 04-19-2005, 08:23 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: I'm in a pickle! please help me dicide!

ORIGINAL: zachj1212

I have the aerobird challenger, and i can fly it very well. I have been looking into my second plane, and i really need some advise. I am debating beetween 5 different airplanes. I have narrowed it down a little, but i am going to give you the whole list. Please give me your feedback!

The radio i am getting is the jr 6102.

1. wattage cessna 182- This plane is my dream plane. It has a plastic fuse, but balsa wing and tail. Again, this plane would be my prized posetion, and i would love it like a pet! I am against getting it for my second plane, becase i want more experience befor i fly my dream plane. It will probably be my 3rd plane. I am going to be flying one on a trainer cord soon.

http://www.globalhobby.com/public/wa...ery/128393.asp

Conclusion-proboly not 2nd plane, but maybe 3rd.

>Good decision. Scale planes are rarely a good choice for a 2nd plane.

2. Ultrafly cessna
I think that this would be a good plane for me. It is made of foam. I am holding back, because WHEN ( ) i get the wattage 182, i would have 2 cessnas! Rather have a variety!

http://www.ultraflymodel.com/airplanes/ufla1000.html

Conclusion-maybe, but i would want a variety of planes, not 2 cessnas.

>Again, this is very close to a scale plane. MOST scale planes have
>inherent problems. Some more than others and a lot will depend
>on how close to scale it actually is. The closer to scale, in most
>cases, the more inherent problems.

3. wattage corsir-This corsair is made for beginers. 3ch. It is plastic, and spare parts can be ordered. My instructor/friend is saying that i should get this plane. I would get the ARF version for 36 smackaroes.

http://www.globalhobby.com/public/wa...ery/128316.asp

conclusion- defiantly a possibility

>The Corsair, in ANY scale from the full size bird to a foamy electric
>is one of the hardest planes to fly. The Corsair (IMHO and many
>others also ) is a worst case scenario of inherent problems in a
>scale, or close to scale plane.

4-hobby lobby stinson voyager-

This is a foam plane. 4ch. I am 75% convinced on this plane, and i think it would be a good transition to the cessna from wattage.

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/stinson.htm

conclusion-probably

>While still a scale plane, I feel the Stinson will probably be your best
>bet. The 4th channel (aileron ) will definitely be a big help to you in
>mastering other planes (many scale, aerobatic, 3D, etc ).
>
>The reviews I have read on this plane indicate that this is an
>exceptional plane. Readily flown by people with little experience, yet
>capable of aerobatics with a more experienced pilot. I don't feel
>you would go wrong with this one.

Please give me your feedback. I appreciate it![8D][8D][8D]

thank you!
Well you have my opinion of your choices. I am certain others will also provide their opinions. I would suggest doing a search on the Corsair though and find out exactly how "interesting" they are to fly AND the expertise level normally required for this plane.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:33 PM
2slow2matter

why are you buying a new computer radio, and then using it on some 3 channel foamie? that seems like a waste of money to me....If you're getting a new radio, get a nice plane to go with it. Maybe something like the four star or tiger 2. If it's electric you want, tiger 2 comes as electric as well...
Old 04-19-2005, 10:08 PM
forestroke

i have the corsair and i'm not going to recommend it unless you are going to upgrade the batteries. i have the RTF version as a test of my ability to make crappy planes fly and i although i did make it fly... it wasn't any good with the stock 7 cell mah battery. with a 3S lipo it was humming along but still nothing to whopee about. the plane is grossly overweight with that plastic fuse.

if you really want a nice plane... i'm going to recommend the following planes from www.airborne-models.com (world models).

clipped wing cub E
Prambler EP
cessna skylane EP

i have flown the first two and they are great scale flyers. they haven't converted me from glow but they are great. i'd recommend a 20A esc and at least a 8-cell pack. i used a 3S2P and throtted down for a while and it was great. the CWC now has a outrunner brushless, jeti brushless esc and lipo's.

although nothing beats a glow in my opinion. my rambler 30 with O.S.52 is just awesome.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46274.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	260333  
Old 04-19-2005, 11:25 PM
zachj1212

you guys are forgeting something. I am coming from the AEROBIRD! I can't fly some of those planes! The reason that i am getting a nice radio is that i am 13, and i want a radio that i can use for a long time! The stinson is fome, 4 channel. After that, i wan't to make a collection of general aviation planes. Electric. what do you think about the stinson?

i don't want to get a nice scale plane, until i learn to fly better on a cheaper plane.

does this sound right?[&o]
Old 04-19-2005, 11:26 PM
zachj1212

2slow to matter-could you give me a link to those planes?
Old 04-20-2005, 12:35 AM
carrellh

Goldberg Tiger - Electric
http://www.carlgoldbergproducts.com/tiger400.htm

Eagle electric trainer
http://www.carlgoldbergproducts.com/eagle400.htm

3D capable electric plane
http://www.carlgoldbergproducts.com/12087.htm

All are four channel planes.
Old 04-20-2005, 02:42 AM
forestroke

personally i like balsa planes becuase i know how to repair them. i've repaired my foamies as well but they alway look like they just got salvaged from the dumpster. with balsa and monokote planes, you can almost always repair them to look new again.

the stinson seems like a nice little plane... four channels is definitely a move in the right direction... but i'd seriously consider the airborne-model cessna skylane ep...

by the way... stinson is also a scale plane. the review on hobby lobby is glowing, though... makes me want to get one!
Old 04-20-2005, 05:12 AM
SBR_RV

repairing foamys: all you need to do is glue sand and then paint
Old 04-20-2005, 05:47 AM
forestroke

that's if there is no crushed areas. steaming, boiling... i have a foamies that even a mother couldn't love :-)
Old 04-20-2005, 03:30 PM
Philng

how hard is it to repair balsa? and how do you do it?
Old 04-20-2005, 05:32 PM
rctrax

You cutout all the damaged wood and useing the damaged parts as templeates splice in new pieces and by the time you get it covered you won't be able to see where it was repaired
Old 04-20-2005, 05:38 PM
zachj1212

Thanks for all your replys!

what do you think about the stinson voyager? If you don't recomend it, than what do you recomend.
I don't want to go strate to a NICE scale plane right away, bease i want to learn on an eisier plane.
Old 04-20-2005, 05:44 PM
zachj1212

Also, what do you think about the 2 goldberg planes. (not the 3d one) The eagle 400 sounds cool!

For my second plane, what do you think about brushed, or brushless?

Also, please keep in mind that i need all of these planes to be small enough to be a park flyer.

I am now considering the 2 goldburg planes.
I think that the corsair, ultrafly cessna, and the wattage cessna are out of the question for 2nd plane, but the wattage cessna is probably going to come soon.

so, here is stands!

Hobbylobby voyager
Eagle 400
tiger 400

what is your recomedation, or thoughts? I am not looking for an aerobatic plane. Just a stable plane that will do what i want it to do.

thanks!
Old 04-20-2005, 10:03 PM
forestroke

well zach, you dont give us any options DO YOU! i mean the only real parkflyer in your choices is the Stinson Voyager... go with that one, zach... i'm sure you'll be happy with it.

in terms of brushed or brushless... this is a whole new thread! i'd say it depends on your budget. if you can afford it (meaning that you can see yourself using this JUST for the voyager because you might be moving up a notch next time OR you think that you'll stay at parkflyer for a long time so you can re use this equipment) then go brushless. i have a motor similar to the hobby-lobby MP outrunner brushless (the red one) and a jeti brushless controller and 11.1V3S2P. it pulls my CWC cub very well. total cost was around $200 with 2 batteries. not cheap. but sooooo much nicer (and lighter) than a similar brushed set up. i'd recommend it to anyone!

of course the brushed setup is less than half the price.
Old 04-20-2005, 11:58 PM
zachj1212

thanks forestroke. THe place that i will usually fly at is bigger than a "park". I'd say that you could fit 2 football fields on it. So the two 400 planes are two big to fly there. The vidio looked like it went pretty slow...........

You said that i wasn't giving u many options. If you have something elso two recomend, please do!
Old 04-21-2005, 12:42 AM
Sir Fliesalot
My Feedback: (2)

Congratulations on mastering the Aerobird Zack. If you can master that, you can fly anything!.
The Voyager looks a bit small. I would vote for the Ultrafly Cessna 182. It's big enough to be seen at "3 mistakes" altitude and will handle better on the ground and in the air. With such a light wing loading it will be very fun on a windless day and be less prone to damage in a sudden stop. I also like that it can grow with you by adding the ailerons and flaps. You will really enjoy those!

BTW- The 6102 is a good choice too.

Good luck,
Mark
Old 04-21-2005, 05:12 AM
forestroke

the ultrafly is a good choice. i've seen many of these flying here. if you want a small step up, you can consider a hitec skyscooter. they fly much faster than the aerobird and can do aileron/elevator aerobatics.
Old 04-21-2005, 12:17 PM
zachj1212

thank you for your reply! I am considering the ultrafly, but i am getting the wattage cesswna anyway, next. Could you please tell me if the eagle and tiger planes could fly in a large park? thanks!
Old 04-21-2005, 08:49 PM
zachj1212

* cessna
Old 04-21-2005, 09:12 PM
Sir Fliesalot
My Feedback: (2)

Both of the goldberg planes would do well in a large park and you can't go wrong with Carl Goldberg anything. Great company! They are both "speed 400" size which is a good "park flyer" size. They will handle a little wind much better than the aerobird. As a scale enthusist I'm glad you want to build up a scale fleet and with the ARF's these days you can do it without the time investment. I would however recommend staying with a high wing aircraft for now. High wing aircraft are more forgiving (they last longer). When you master ailerons and basic aerobatics then get a low wing aircraft and bore holes in the sky!

Mark

Old 04-21-2005, 09:16 PM
forestroke

i wouldn't recommend it. they are trainers that should be flown at a club's flying field. i wouldn't take the risk. plus, i think it may not be allowed. i would rather see you get a real park flyer like the ultrafly or wattage.

i'd go for the skyscooter if i were you... sounds like you'd enjoy it most.
Old 04-21-2005, 10:29 PM
zachj1212

Thanks everybody! I am leaning tword eather the high wing 400, or the ultrafly cessna. You have all been a great help! I am sure that i could fly both of them were i fly. It IS alowed, and it is much bigger than a park.

My friend has succesfult flown the wattage cessna, wattage corsair, scale corsair from "great planes, A p-47 thunderbolt, scale, and an electric glider that has a wingspan of over 6 feet, and the grouper monsun.recently a scale corsair with a wingspan a 51/2 feet, and is going to fly it there. It is a big field.

with the high winged 400, should i put a brushless trer? I am only 13, so i have a limited amount of money. I Am going to put one in the watttage cessna.

I have heard that the non-interchangable parts are the servoes. But the reciecer, and speed controller can, right? what about the engine?

thanks!
Old 04-22-2005, 01:35 AM
forestroke

what?

limited funds? then not brushless. but i'd invest in a good charger that could charge lipo's. there's not much you can reuse unless ou go with a similar weight plane. luckily the motor is usually included in the kit. the reciever can be reused if only it's the same frequency and shift (i doubt you'll find them the same). also, the electronic speed control (ESC) and batteries will likely be too small for the goldberg. in fact the only thing you might be able to reuse is the SERVOS!

wattage corsair... many people say they suck. i have one and wouldn't recommend it over say a GWS or a Alphamodels. i wouldn't spend good money on a plane like that. that's like putting a ferrari engine into a dodge stratus.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67937.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	261262  
Old 04-22-2005, 10:03 AM
zachj1212

I am only going to be flying park flyers for a long time, most with the same engine, spiner, prop: so what i think is:

I have two planes, both park flyers.
I have the servoes in, and i don't ever take them out.
Also, the engine stays in all the time.
But.. at the field, if i have both my planes, i fly one, and then take out the riecever/esc, and put it in the other plane, in less than 10 minets.

Right![]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.