Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

First Flight Experiences

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

First Flight Experiences

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 03:57 PM
JesseV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Flight Experiences

Well, after a couple of weeks of waiting for good flying weather, I was able to make my first flight this past weekend What an awesome feeling!!

After a trim flight and a good test flight by my instructor, the LT40 was pronounced fit for flight and the switch was flipped to give control to the buddy box. I have to say I was a bit nervous, but was able to fly until the engine started to lean out from running out of fuel.

I am glad I spent all those hours on the simulator, I know it definitely helped me. The real thing was different, but I was able to adjust to the differences rather quickly. All in all my instructor and I spent about 4 hours flying and by the end of the session he had me doing figure eights and runway approaches (no landings or touch and goes) to get used to throtle control. We even managed to do a couple of flights in increasing wind (about 15 - 20 mph).

It was a great day! Hopefully we can continue that way, and who knows I may be able to solo in the near future.

Thank you all for such a great forum. I know I spent quite a bit of time here doing research before even buying a plane. I know it was time well spent!

JesseV
Old 05-10-2005, 04:02 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: First Flight Experiences

Jesse,
Congrats on the first flight. I bet you still have that silly smile on your face don't you??

Welcome to the addiction!!
Old 05-10-2005, 05:57 PM
JesseV

Oh yeah! My wife is starting to think it is something other than the plane.

JesseV
Old 05-10-2005, 06:38 PM
flmlm

JesseV,

Congradz on the flight. Sounds as if you had a great time. An excellent experience at the field can sure put a smile on your face and leave you driving away floating on the clouds. Good luck and have fun with the LT-40. Currently I'm also building a LT 40. I hope to take flight with it soon. The LT 40 will be my first step into nitro after flying electric for six months, can't wait!

Regards

Mike
Old 05-10-2005, 08:11 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats from me as well Jesse. It's always terrific hearing from a new guy that had a great first day!

I hope you have many more, and I'm guessing you WILL solo before too long.
Dennis-
Old 05-10-2005, 08:40 PM
Pilot Chad
My Feedback: (4)

Congrats!
If the LT-40 flies anything like the lt-25 it is a GREAT flyer.
Old 05-10-2005, 09:21 PM
shakes268

Jesse,
Congrats! You will have so much fun with this hobby. It's great fun! Relaxing and challenging at the same time. I'm so glad you had such a good first day and got in so much air time. My first reaction that day as the plane flew over was "I can't believe I'm really doing this!". I had always wanted to fly since I was 13 or so and now I'm 31 I wish I had started years ago. Keep it up!
Old 05-10-2005, 10:29 PM
caseyh46
My Feedback: (1)

good to go.... congratulations... just remember that that "maiden flight" feeling never goes away... as someone else told me here before the nerves get worse exponentially to the amount of money tied up in the airplane LOL... But.. in my opinion that feeling is what keeps us addicted to the hobby... congratulations again...

Casey
Old 05-11-2005, 12:13 AM
Jonesy

Good to hear your flyng in the wind, don't get in the habit of being one of those that shies away from it. The wind will make you a better pilot.

Congrats on your first flights.
Old 05-11-2005, 07:25 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Jesse, just remember that you will have that feeling after every flight and when you solo, the first flight without the instructor being your safety net is also another adrenaline milestone.
Good luck and happy flying
Old 05-11-2005, 04:49 PM
JesseV

Thank you all for the great replies. If, as most of you say, this feeling doesn't go away I'm going to be flying for a long time

I am just glad my instructor is one of those people that enjoys teaching as much as he does flying. I'm not sure which one of us was having a better time. Now I just hope I can talk him into staying my instructor past the solo stage and into some early aerobatics when the time comes.

Thanks again for all the great support!

Jesse
Old 05-12-2005, 12:50 PM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: JesseV

Oh yeah! My wife is starting to think it is something other than the plane.

JesseV
Jesse,

Just tell her it's the vibrations from the plane and if she starts to vibrate like that then you will spend more time with her also

Seriously, congrats. As was already mentioned there will be more adrenalin rushes, the first takeoff, the first landing, the first aerobatic maneuver, the solo, the first maiden you do of your own plane, etc....

As Casey said "nerves get worse exponentially to the amount of money tied up in the airplane " Yep, they sure do but as with anything else is the hobby/addiction, the adrenalin subsides until the next new thing.

Most instructors are more than willing to take training past the solo stage. Mine helped me in my quest to fly IMAC and in return he got several gift certificates to the LHS. I also instruct and I have no problem helping students past solo although it may take a bit of prodding on their part to tear me away from my planes at times.

For me it's very pleasing to sit down and watch a former student fly. Kinda gives me the warm and fuzzies knowing that I took someone from ground school to a safe and competent pilot.

Something I haven't seen mentioned is:

Please keep us all informed of your progress and ask, ask, ask if you need any help. That's what we are all here for plus the gentle rib tickling on occasion.

Enjoy... and welcome