Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
 engine problem >

engine problem

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

engine problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2005, 01:00 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine problem

Hello everyone, Well today I went dead stick 4 times but landed all good. THe engine just dident wanna work, I think the weather has alot to do with it.. I have a problem tuning it. When i go full throttle and lift the plane in the air the engine bogs and it feels like its about to die.. I tried going rich not work tried going lean on the low end dident work.. Please help. The engine seems like it goes nice from idle to full throttle but after a lil bit of full throtte it bogs. Please help. thanks!
Old 05-19-2005, 01:06 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: engine problem

we also set the high end after we set the low end and still..
Old 05-19-2005, 01:18 AM

sounds like your engine is running lean. i would be interested to know what brand of engine you are using. until then...back off (richen) the high speed needle a few clicks...start the engine. hold the plane with its nose up in the air, give it full throttle, and then adjust the needle just to the point to where it starts to lean out. it should be set slightly rich and dont worry...it will lean out more when you get it in the air. if while you have the nose in the air and the engine still sags....then richen the needle more until the sag stops...then go fly the beast.
have fun...
Old 05-19-2005, 08:49 AM

Could it also be a problem with his fuel tank set-up?
Old 05-19-2005, 08:57 AM
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always set my high speed first for 2-3 clicks rich side of max RPM with the nose up. Then when it is good and warm, I set the low speed. That is the tricky part and I would bet your low speed is the problem. Set it for a good idle, then tip it up at a 45 degree and listen. If it speeds up, your lean. If it runs rough and stalls your rich. Richen or lean your low speed in 1/8 turns until the idle is pretty smooth at 45 degrees nose up at idle. This will get you in the ball park or will be the end of adjustments for an air bleed engine. Then I fine tune my low speed for the flying that I am doing. Transition from idle to max and listen, if it hesitates or skip as it transitions then it might still be a little lean. Richen the low speed in small increments for a smooth transition from idle to max throttle. You'll know when you are there as it will transition smooth without any hesitation. If you go too rich you should know by lots of discharge from the exhaust and lots of smoke. Even farther to the rich side and so much fuel will put out the glow plug. If I have a Sport plane I even check my transistion while in the vertical(simulate a hammer head stall and make sure it won't load up or stall) and fine tune the low speed.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:06 AM

yes...it could very well be..among other things. its not easy troubleshooting stuff on here without having more specific info. i think the best thing for him to do is to find a flier in his area with some experience who can be there at the field with him.

gysgt6414 gives excellent advice and procedure, of which i forgot to address the low end...cringe...thanks for bailing my butt bro...

the reason i asked for the engine brand is some of the stuff coming out of china these days just do not work no matter how much one has tried to adjust the engine properly...
Old 05-19-2005, 09:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like just simply too lean on top end. Once running, open needle valve (rich) until there is no way that it can't be anything but rich. and tune from there. With the engine at full throttle, if you pinch the fuel line just before the carb and the engine accelerates slightly before losing power- it is rich. If you pinch the line and it just dies- it is too lean. You already know you want to be just slightly rich of peak lean by a few clicks of the needle valve.

Have someone else hold the plane while you make these tests for safety or tie the plane down.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:41 AM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

check your fuel line for pin holes. Make sure the fuel is good. Shake it, look at it through the jug against a light and make sure there is no precip floating in it. Clean the carb. Take the needle out, pump some fuel through to make sure there is nothing in the needle hole.

just a few ideas
Old 05-19-2005, 05:02 PM

make sure the pressure line from muffler to tank fits snug and doesn't leak